Digitech Hendrix pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnny67, Oct 31, 2005.

1. johnny67

johnny67 Guest

Has anyone tried out the Uni-vibe setting on the Digitech Hendrix pedal or compared it to any of the vibes clones like the Fulltone Dejavibe,Dunlop Uni-vibe,Sweetsound Mojovibe or KR Musical Products Megavibe?
    The Mojovibe & Megavibe seem to be two of the most popular vibe clones out there.

2. drolling

drolling Member

I've had a few vibes over the years and unlike overdrive pedals (which tend to pile up in the studio) I get rid of them when I find a better one. I've stuck with my Sweetsound UltraVibe for a few years as it really does nail those old 'Band of Gypsies' tones.

Just for fun, I picked up the DigiTech pedal and the univbe patch is my favorite one of the bunch. You've gotta remember, tho', it is a digital simulation that's already mixed with modeled amp tones (Marshall Super Lead), simulated fuzz & digital reverb (an EMI plate reverb emulation) so you can never get a completely clean vibe sound.

The treadle controls the vibe speed on this preset, going from fastest (toe down) to stop (heel down). A double click at the heel position engages the fuzz & boosts the amp sim's gain. The pedal does ramp between fast and slow in a small portion of the throw, so you can't really get those 'in-between' speeds that a real univibe does, but it sure is convenient. I also like the preset next to it, w/wah, distortion & delay.

It also records really well, if you're using digital workstation. Doesn't sound nearly as good thru' a guitar amp because you can't completely turn off the modeled amp distortion.

When it first came out there were some clips posted here that pretty much captured the sound of this pedal. The ones @ Musician's Friend are so bad that I'd never have even tried the pedal if I'd heard them first.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Were they posted here on this forum (you don't have to look for them, I can do a search if that was what you meant) or does "here" mean some other section of the site?

4. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Get a Captain Coconut 2 if you want to nail the 'vibe' :)

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've had one. The Vibe was really cool, but just not what I wanted with my setup (I liked the octave in that thing the best!).

I've also (still own) got a Deja-mini-vibe, and it's great for some things (but not the band-of-gypsys thing with MY setup), and just recently the Mojo-vibe (VERY happy with....for me this one nails it!!)

But I was liking the comment that this pedal (though expensive) is good direct into a board. Thinking about late-nite recording, and not miking an amp, just direct.

This is tempting for that. That's why I wondered about the clips.

Thanks!

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

No...haven't tried the lovevibe.

On my setup the CC2 was actually not thin (the CENTER knob could make it thin if I played with it) but when I got the tone I wanted I was getting too much "whubbb-whubb" kinda sounds.

For a real amp, Mojo is GREAT...I love the sound of it. It hits the mark. I am planning also on buying a megavibe, though I am pretty put-off by their lame-brained policies about international shipping, and the fact that they don't even answer inquiries I made about it.

My mom lives in the US and I imagine I can buy it and get it sent there anyway. I don't like their policies, but have heard sound clips and that pedal sounds like a winner too!

7. drolling

drolling Member

SBB, if I remember correctly, they were posted in this section of TGP by Muddy. Not his clips, but a link to some other guy's. Must have been in the spring, when the pedal was just hitting the stores. They sounded pretty good. Like I said earlier, don't judge this pedal by the clips @ MF. I really don't know how they got it to sound so bad. It's almost like someone there has it in for DigiTech, cause I can't see how they'd help sell this pedal.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks for the warning. I think I'm better off trying to locate a store that carries them and just see what it sounds like.
    THanks!

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Well...I gotta add. They never did answer my inquiry (the way they worded their "shipping policy" was ambiguous enough that it either could have meant they DO NOT ship overseas, OR that shipping took x amount of days BUT NOT ON OVERSEAS ORDERS...it was not clear which was the meaning so I asked and never got an answer. I am still pretty sure it means they don't ship overseas.

BUT...I was just at their site and see they now have a message included that "International orders-for overseas customers
    Due to the great response we've received from overseas customers wanting us to start selling pedals in Europe we are currently working on offering our products to customers overseas shortly! "

So that's really good!