Digitech Jamman - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by GAD, Jun 23, 2008.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking for a looper. Not so much for gigging, but for practicing and whipping together backing tracks for scales/improv practice and so-on.

As much as I like the big Boss looper, It's about $500 and I don't need to spend that much.

Anyone love/hate the Digitech Jamman? I've read good and bad things about it but figured I'd ask here too.

Thanks,

GAD

2. Robertito

Robertito Member

It sounds great and has a ton of recording time (expandable to even more), so it's a good practice tool to have around. It does not do backwards loops (which I use a lot), but it sounds like it would do the job for you.

3. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

What is the benefit of a backwards loop?

GAD

4. mikespe

mikespe Member

I have been researching this pedal for some time and plan on getting it soon. With all it's features and USB access it is well worth it compared to the Boss. All the reviews I have read were nothing but positive. If you use American Musical Supply you can even break it up into 3 payments so it won't sting your wallet so much.

5. telefmt

telefmt Member

I just sold my Jam Man - strictly for financial reasons. It works great, doesn't color your sound and has a ton of features. Great practice tool, but you need the optional footswitch to use it live imo.....

6. drolling

drolling Member

I'm a total sucker for /sampling/looping, and I like this one - Nothing like its grandpa, the Lexicon JamMan, it's a kind of hybrid of features available in other loopers; similar layout to the BOSS RC-20xl, with the added convenience of USB compatabilty/compact flashcard storage, like the late, lamented Electrix Repeater (my personal fave).

There are so many choices now, I'd try to demo as many as possible before plunking down cash. Have you tried the little BOSS RC-2 yet? No flashcards, but with 16 minutes of memory built in, you could easily do an entire 1 man show with it. I even like the cheezy drum patterns! More fun than the dweebish metronome-tones of the RC-20/20xl, imo.

I love the Akai Headrush E2 as well - no non-volatile memory, so you can't prerecord/store your loops, but it's got better buffering & sound than either the DigiTech or BOSS pedals. If you dig around the net, you might come across KT Tunstall using one to do a solo version of "Black Horse & Cherry Tree"

7. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Great practice tool. I use it all the time, almost as much as BIAB. You can find'em used on ebay these days. I refuse to use one on a gig, but would be easy to do so. Lots of features.

8. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Herse my 2 cents
    I have tried a lot except the jamman

I have been using the rc 2, great fun pedal .
    I also have the boomerang , great pdeal but no undo feature and no drums, is the newest one out yet by the way ?.

I have both versions of the head rush , short record time but undo is great , sound is great and it deletes mistakes fast.

My wish would be a head rush with a longer recording time and drum loops like the rc 2

9. drolling

drolling Member

Instant Jimi Hendrix!! And here's a cool trick I got from John Scofield; Play a short phrase in real-time, hit the optional switch that engages the reverse function & you end up with this gnarly/cool sounding lick where the second half is is the 1st 1/2 backwards! Takes a bit of practice, as does most smooth & seamless looping - Unless you're using the 'quantize' function
    I'd steer clear of version I as the E2 addresses (and fixes!!) all the problems of the original.

And thanks for reminding me about the "Rang!! I've got the current production Boomerang+ - One of the most intuitive, user-friendly loopers ever made & my 1st choice for performing live.

But if I was in the market today, I'd wait for the new ('Rang III) to hit the streets - They keep rolling back the release date, but should be any time now..

10. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Every time I go to buy one of these... I go through all the threads and all the same discussions.

Nobody can seem to agree on which is best. I REALLY hope that this thread does.

11. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

12. andytwatson

andytwatson Member

i know that Stu G from delirious uses one. So it must be good....

13. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

I had an RC20XL and I sold it to get a JamMan, for the 99 loops, CF card and USB transfer abilites. Go for it, I use mine all the time. It's a fantastic practice tool.