Digitech Luxe vs Chroma Chorus, anybody compared both?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jds22, May 14, 2015.

1. jds22

jds22 Member

Hey all.
    I'm interested in these two chorusy type pedals due to the lack of modulation and am wondering if anybody has compared both of them.

Of course I prefer the price of the Luxe but if the CC is head and shoulders above it, then the extra $$ might be worth it. BTW, I'm just an at home player. No gigging or recording.

While on the subject, are there any other pedals similar to these that you would suggest?

Thanks

2. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

If your considering a new stereo chroma, then I'd say go with it over the luxe any day, simply because of the ability to download any of Neunaber's catalog onto the pedal, making it more than just a chorus pedal, and if you get their ExP pedal, then you can have up to 4 different effects available to you, plus 2 presets for each effect.

3. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

Chroma Chorus in terms of actual use, but the Digitech Luxe has the coolness factor.

4. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Silver Supporting Member

I had both side by side and the Chroma blows the Luxe away. Not only in terms of sound quality, but versatility. The Luxe has two controls, Level and Cents. Level isn't a volume though, it is a wet/dry mix and honestly, I think there was a slight volume drop when engaging the Luxe. Maybe that is just the nature of a doubling effect, but it was audible to me. The Chroma chorus sounds much deeper and more 3D. When you add in the fact that you can load the Stereo Wet, Echelon, Infinity Hold, and Seraphim algorithms onto the pedal, it becomes a no-brainer.

5. minty901

minty901 Member

If you can find the digitech iStomp for cheap then that does a detune on it that has two voices in stereo or mono operation (I think) so it's like having two Luxes. They were flogging them off for like $30 or something not long back. But you need an iOS device with the old style connecter to use it. Also, it isn't a polyphonic detune but honestly I couldn't notice, it seemed to work really well with chords.

Another alternative is the Zoom ms70CDR (or ms50G, I'm not sure which has more detune options), that has detune on it. It may or may not be as good as the iStomp one, I don't remember. Fairly sure it worked fine for me.

6. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

I like the way the Luxe sounds better than I do the chroma algo but, as others have already said, the Neunaber pedal is much more flexible because of the pedal customizer software.

7. jds22

jds22 Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Ideally I would order both and compare side by side but I'd have to convince the wife that I'd only keep one. :)