• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Digitech Mosaic two thumbs way up

Atmospheric

I've been struggling trying to get a decent electric 12 string sound, both live and in the studio. Being somewhat of a purist, I resisted the idea of digital emulation to solve the problem. But unfortunately physical 12 strings have their own sets of issues. Big ones. Expensive ones. I got to the point, after trying several instruments, where I was considering a dedicated amp/pedalboard just for the 12. But that is highly impractical, not to mention wicked expensive.

I scored a used Mosaic in dead mint condition for $105. Wow. I am blown away how good this sounds in a mix. Yes, if you listen very carefully you can tell it's a harmonizer. But it still sounds really musical. Almost like an organ patch doubling sustained notes and chords.

I am ecstatic. It literally solved thousands of dollars worth of problems for $100. If you are even thinking of buying a 12 string, try this first. You may be very pleasantly surprised.

kidvox

Have you played it with an electric? This is the first time I'm hearing about this pedal and I'm curious about it's electric guitar tones.

Atmospheric

Have you played it with an electric? This is the first time I'm hearing about this pedal and I'm curious about it's electric guitar tones.
Yes. I will only use this with electrics. I only play strats. It sounds fantastic on all 5 PU settings, but best on the bridge and middle/bridge settings.

One other thing... It's almost a given that a good 12 string sound requires lots of compression. I did try the Mosaic into my Aggie compressor, but I think it sounds better without compression. So that frees up a slot on my board. I was gonna have to kick my tuner off my board to make room for the Mosaic, but now I can keep both.

One caveat... The Mosaic is very power hungry. It needs a 250mA tap on a PedalPower.

Last edited:

Atmospheric

Now that I'm playing with the Mosaic in a band setting, one huge benefit I didn't think about is being able to switch between 6 and 12 string sounds in the same song. With physical 12 string guitars you are tethered to the beast for the entire song. Many of them don't take to ODs and fuzzes very well. All of a sudden, it's a non-issue.

ToneWarrior

I just picked one these up and it's true they sound great. I just got it yesterday and spent most of the time playing it through my DRRI with a very clean tone which sounded great. Today I took it to band practice and played it through my Splawn modded Marshall 1959 and it sounds great for that also. I mainly bought it because we play Mama I'm Coming Home and it didn't sound right with a 6 string but the Mosaic has fixed that problem. I also found that it sounds great for enhancing solo's it gives them a great sound. It's not something I would use on every solo but for added flavor to something here and there it's cool. I used it on Man in the Box for the Wah, Wah, Wah part and it sounded freakin' awesome. It's going to get a lot of use.

A couple of people mentioned about it being power hungry and requiring 250 or 300mA, I don't know if that's true, I'm not questioning it but I use a Boss 120A or whatever the model # is into my TU-2 Tuner and daisey chain off that and it worked fine. I think the Boss power supply is 500mA though so that might be why I didn't have any issues.

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
I've used one live since they came out, my board can't be without now, it's pretty darn convincing!
No need to tote a 12 string for a handful of songs anymore.
Makes Me curious about there other pedals.
only drawback with the Mosaic is it doesn't run on regular 9v, but comes with a power supply, and can be powered by most current power supply's, PP2, Cioks, etc.

fab38

The thing that blows me away when I play my 12-strings is the way the harmonics are exploding with overdrive and fuzz pedals. I can't imagine a pedal simulating this in an efficient way. Is it?

ToneWarrior

The thing that blows me away when I play my 12-strings is the way the harmonics are exploding with overdrive and fuzz pedals. I can't imagine a pedal simulating this in an efficient way. Is it?
It's not going to replace a real 12 string when you factor everything in but if you only need to play a 12 string for one or two songs it's convincing enough to get by. I'd compare it to a amp simulator vs. a real tube amp. When you play it you can tell it's not real but the people listening to you play probably don't know or don't care.

petty1818

I wonder how the mosaic works on acoustic? I assume it sounds too artificial but it would be fun to experiment with.

Atmospheric

Thanks for liking my post. In the interest of full disclosure, it's probably worth mentioning that I'm not exactly walking the talk these days. About a month ago I switched entirely to a Fractal FX8. I'm delighted with it. The pitch shifting is on par with the Digitech pedals.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom