Digitech opinions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 6Tones, Mar 30, 2008.

1. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Anyone here have anything good to say about the RP series ?
    They have the RP500 out now and it looks tempting,price feature wise,and for a coverband it may eliminate the tapdance of footpedals.
    Mostly still going to get hopefully the disortion from the amp n just rely on the mulitfx for the other stuff.

2. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

I have the gsp1101 and will get the rp500 on Thursday, one for home and one for church.

I really like the 1101, very good sounds and feel.
    It's the first multi effect that I like for the tones with the convinence as an added bonus insead of the other way 'round.

3. Goku13

Goku13 Member

WAAAAAY back in the day i had a digitech rp7, the multi effects pedal with a tube in it. It was kinda cool in a way, but it was really crappy too. I thought it was a cool idea to build a digital multi effect pedal with a tube in it, but it just didnt sound as good as it could have. and it was super lame how there was that delay between patch switching. :/

4. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Yea I had a rp5 back then,it was kinda lame too,but heres hoping they have improved to run with with bigboys ,much like a hyundai! lol

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I still have mine. I used it for a while, and though it looks a little (design and colo-wise) like a toy, I think it is an excellent ME pedal. Nice control over EQ, coul dhave had more OD choices, but okay...the delays and echoes were excellent IMO, but of course get lost in a band mix, the harmonizer was really fun, the wah prett damned good I thought, the cab emulation was nice...

I just got a Tonelab LE a few months back. Going to use it for recording (I couldn't get it to sound good enough through my tube amps, and other reasons I still prefer regular pedals with bands) andhaven't used it so much but though I like IT a lot, the RP-7 is damned good even in comparison I think.

6. Snakum

Snakum Member

I had an RP7 Valve and last year one of the new models, the GNX3. The GNX was much better than the RP, so I'd imagine the newer RP series would be pretty decent. I never got a good setup to work without the amp models (I wanted my own amp sounds) but the basic effects models were pretty good.

7. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I have been using my GSP1101/Control2 rig with the 4CM (bypassing the GSP preamp) and my Mesa Lone Star for the last 6 months. On a couple of small gigs, I tried it with it's own models into 2 Tech 21 Power Engines in stereo, and it's absolutely stunning. I never thought I would gig without tubes, but the tones are amazing. I have used it on 6 shows so far and am actually considering selling the Mesa, even though I love it.

The GSP is SO much more present, rich and amplike than any other modeler I have ever used. My band and even several of the hardcore fans who are guitar geeks asked me what I did lately to get such great tones through the mains. Um...I am plugging the XLR outs DIRECTLY into the board and that's it! I tend to use very spanky, compressed Brad Paisley and Keith Urban tones for my country leads and rich, verby EJ-type lead tones and it's incredible. I have gigged 4 nights a week with it and love it more every night.

Rock on!

8. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I had the rp80 and the rp300...I used the rp300 with a band and to be honest unless you play all death metal the rp's distortion is useless...everything I played no matter how I adjusted the gain sounded like Slayer was covering it...had decent modulation though...

I got rid of them both and got a boss me-50...much better for band use...

imho digitech distortion is too over the top, I have had many digitech stompboxes and the only ones I still have are the digitech chorus, delay, and reverb...the flanger was a tone sucking digital mess, as was the phaser...