Digitech Polara Reverb Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wagster, May 2, 2015.

1. Wagster

Wagster Member

I'm not much of a reverb guy but I thought I'd give the polara a try. Instead of using slapback on the country stuff I want to try some reverb ala Marty Stuart ect. For those that use the Polara as a sweetener. mind sharing your settings.

The reason why I ask is because I took the Polara to my gig last night and I wasn't feeling it. I'm gigging tonight so I want to give it another go.

2. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

I'd be afraid to be seen out in public with that on my board, unless I had a slumber party gig.....then we could paint our toenails to match the pedal.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  3. Wagster

Wagster Member

If you have nothing useful to add why respond?

4. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

Billy, I've been using something very similar to the Big Jazz Hall setting in the manual. I think I have Level somewhere between 10:00 and 12:00 depending on Liveliness setting, Liveliness is between 9:00 and 11:00 and Decay somewhere in the 1:00-2:00 range. I started out using the Hall setting, but am using the Plate setting more these days. I do use it along with a Deep Blue Delay, so the Reverb is pretty subtle. More to keep the delay's repeats from sounding like distinct repeats.

I'm guessing Marty is using a spring reverb though. To me, a lot of the magic of the Polara is in the Liveliness knob. It can really help set how prominent the reverb comes across. Using a low Liveliness setting can allow you to use a higher Decay setting without it getting in the way. I've never liked the high, splashy part of reverb and it helps dial that in or out as needed.

I hadn't used reverb for years when I got the Polara and it's the only Reverb pedal I've tried. But, it did allow me to add some reverb without the things that had bugged me about it in the past.

5. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

I'm considering the Polara for a new board I'm putting together. If I had one here, I would first experiment with the outer extremes of the Level, Liveliness, and Decay controls to see if there are any quirks in how they interact together in the Spring algorithm. In the context of a live band mix, I would probably tend toward a lower Liveliness setting, and a higher/longer Decay setting.

Regarding my use of the Polara, I would be buying it primarily for the Plate algorithm.

6. skiltrip

skiltrip Member

Pedals and all gear for that matter come across different in a live setting. It's easy to tweak to perfection at home, but when you hit the stage it all frequently goes to the dogs. Just right at home can often be too much or not enough on stage. Try experimenting at louder volumes. The Polara should be plenty versatile, and it's a top notch sounding reverb pedal.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

7. Jellybelly33

Jellybelly33 Member

I use the RV-7, which is practically the same as far as this thread is concerned - live, I've found that a much lower level (as in, 9-10-oclock) is best, whereas it'd be more like 11 at home. Also, the plate mode seems to get in the way less than some of the others!

As a side note, I've been using my ears during sound check recently to see if I even need it - if the room has enough about it, sometimes I don't even bother with the RV-7 (except for the Reverse setting - I use it into my El Cap for some ambient volume swells!)

8. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Have you used the polara live? I am wondering about how it is to work with the knobs in dark settings.

9. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I've used it live. It's pretty easy to memorize the order of the reverb types. The other knobs you can set by ear. For me that covers setting it for the room. The rubber cover removes any need to see if the knobs are still set to your preferred setting. I suppose it could be an issue if you change settings for different songs, but then you should probably invest in a reverb with presets.

10. Wagster

Wagster Member

Have any of you guys compared the Polara Spring mode to your BF and SF Fenders? If so how did you set it to cop the BF verb. I don't currently own a Fender to compare.

Thanks

11. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I haven't compared them side by side, but assumed the Polara spring was really close because I didn't like it for the same reason I didn't like my amps spring reverb. :D

12. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

People that mix upper and lower case like that for no reason generally aren't worth the effort. Just put him on ignore.

I have a Supernatural and like the Plate setting for live, leave it on the time with a little bit of the spring reverb on my AC30. I have a Neunaber I stack with them if I really want a lot of reverb. I'd stick with the slapback echo, delay is more useful live - or use both.

13. Wagster

Wagster Member

I took the Polara for another test drive at last nights gig. The Spring setting sounded cool on some of the old school country stuff that we did. It felt and sounded like the real deal. The plate was great for everything else and filled out the sound without jumping on top of my tone. With that said I only have room for either a slapback or reverb on my board and I'm not so sure that I want to give up my slapback. I have a Memory Lane Jr on my board but I don't want to bend over and adjust my settings all night either. I'm going to give it some time to see if I can work reverb more into my sound live.