Digitech RP1000 vs RP500 volume

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Dega500, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Dega500

Dega500 Member

Hey all,

I did a search for "RP1000 Volume" and didn't turn up anything on this so:

I just upgraded to an RP1000 and upon my first use at practice Friday night I found the RP1000's volume (using many of the factory presets) output across the board to be way lower than my RP500.

At practice I have always plugged my RP500 from the mono 1/4" out to the power amp in on my old Peavey Bandit 65 and with the main volume (knob 6) on 45 to 55 I was plenty loud enough to play over everything if I wanted to with volume to spare.

I had the RP1000 main cranked to 99 and I even ran the amp levels up all the way on a couple of patches and my volume was still no where near where it needed be.

I see that the RP1000 has "patch level" control that the RP500 lacked and I haven't messed with that yet. I just wanted to see if there was some global volume control that I may be missing. Maybe a switchable output level or something.

Thanks, Mike

2. johnnyninja

johnnyninja Member

The patch level defaults at 40. I suggest raising that to the level you need. Use the master volume if you need to lower or raise on the fly. The amp level only increases volume of the amp. It doesn't add any more gain so you can use that, too.

3. Dega500

Dega500 Member

Thanks JN,

The RP500, having no "patch level" control(although it sure could have used one IMO) probably defaulted wide open leaving the user the option to only turn it down as needed. There was an eq level but it was only accessable through xedit.

4. cirpo58

cirpo58 Member

I noted the opposite. I had a RP500, brand new, and it was nearly impossible for me to use it in a loud live setting. In fact I took it back to the shop, they checked it deeply and said that was all the output it was going to produce, since it was basically designed to work with PA, while I was using it with an old ss marshall power amp, 80+80w.
    Two years later I decided to buy an RP1000, and of course I was really scared for this volume issue. But the volume is much more than enough, matched with a El34 stereo tube power amp and a 2x12 V30 cab.
    No problem at all.

5. Dega500

Dega500 Member

That's strange! My RP500 ripped.