DigiTech RP1000 vs. Zoom G5

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by FenderGuy53, Jan 23, 2012.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

I'm new to the MFX game, so I need some unbiased input.

I want an MFX unit which: 1) can live happily either direct to a PA/mixer or in front of an amp, 2) can be used in a preset or stomp box mode and 3) has rich, realistic sounding od/distortion and timed effects.

The older DigiTech RP1000 and the new Zoom G5 can both be had for $300 NEW, so which offers the better value?

Being an avid hobbyist, I'd like to hold my expenditure to $300 or less, so are there any other worthy options to consider?

Thanks so much!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

IMO, I liked the g3 a lot better than my rp355(same tones and rp1000). The effects sounded better, the drives sounded better, and it just sat better in from of my amp than the rp did. IMO YMMV

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

this!!! 100%

4. johnnyninja

johnnyninja Member

I'm disappointed in not having a non-ios update for the rp1000 and may go to another multi-fx. BUT....the switching options in the rp1000 are excellent. You have an amp loop and a stomp loop. There is a lot that can been done with these loops that the g3 can't do. As an example, I run my picovalve into a weber mini mass and use the line out to connect to the amp loop or the stomp loop on the RP, then go into a Tech21 PE 60. You could easily add a G3 to this setup and get the latest amp models while retaining the capabilities of the RP. I may do this, too. Just haven't decided yet.

Sorry, I had G3 on the brain...The above may apply to the G5, too. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I love the sounds of the G3, but the physical layout and connectivity of the RP1000 make it dramatically more giggable for ME. (I own the GSP1101, RP1000 and the G3, btw) Just physically having more switches makes it more usable for me in a live situation, as I generally switch PRESETS and not individual FX on and off. Just my preference.

6. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Honestly, the modeling is different between the 2, but I can't say that one is better than the other concerning almost all effects with the exception of pitch shifting. In the area of pitch shifting, Digitech wins by a landslide. Digitech is more accurate in terms of modeling the actual controls of the effects its modeling versus Zoom's generic UI if that kind of thing matters to you (ie while both sound good, Digitech will be able to dial in a tone closer to a specific settings on a pedal due to matched controls). Though I've never owned the RP1000, I would also take a look at the dual loops it offers. Lots of flexibility there. Plus, the key to really good tones on the RP series is their fantastic parametric EQ option which is always available without loosing an effect. On the flip side, the G5 does offer the flexibility of dual instances of some effects and their Z-pedal to control dual parameters at once. However, between the 2 I'd probably go with the RP1000. While I like the G3 for its compact size and flexibility, even with the added features of the G5 it pails in a head to head match up spec wise with the RP1000.

7. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Try both once the G5 is out and decide for yourself!

8. fly135

fly135 Member

How valuable to you is a good looper with synchronized rhythm machine?

9. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

To be fair, you can step down to the RP355 for 90% of that functionality. The only thing you loose is quantizing the loop.

10. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

You also lose tone and routing options.

11. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Not in comparison to the G3/5. There are no routing options other than in/out and the tone thing is extremely subjective.

12. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Can you put reverb before the amp and compression after the amp on the rp? I didn't think so.

13. fly135

fly135 Member

I disagree. the RP355 looper is only 20 secs, which isn't enough for a 12 bar blues with a reasonable tempo. In addition with the RP you lose the drum machine when using the looper. No need for quantize if you don't have drums.

14. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Sure, but can you have od, compressor, model, EQ, reverb, and delay all enabled on the G3/5?

Look a little closer at the G3 specs. If you want the undo functionality, you only get 20 seconds on the G3 as well. Doh! Missed that about the drums disabled with the looper though. Honestly, I use a DAW when ever drums are needed so never use that feature. The looper on either is almost useless compared to the HD500, but that's a whole other can of worms.

I like the G3. Gotta see what they did with the G5's patch architecture, but the thing I love most about the G3 is its compact size. A bigger unit with a few marginal additional features doesn't really seem like a worthwhile upgrade. As a G3 owner, I'd be more interested in the next unit they'll likely release. But if I didn't have the G3, the G5 might be an interesting option.

15. fly135

fly135 Member

You should stick with apples and apples. The RP IIRC doesn't have undo, so you just added another difference. We are comparing 20 sec on any RP against 40/60 seconds on the G3/G5.

Regardless of how you personally use drums, having drums synced to the looper within the mulitfx could be extremely valuable to people who don't even realize it until they've tried it. Calling it useless is a disservice to your normally reasonable reviews.

I have several songs in my link below (Baldwin Park, Some Bird, Outta Town) that were created with the G3 looper/drums and a handheld recorder with no computer in sight.

16. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Reread what you'e misquoted.

For those typically into looping, and I mean live looping, the HD500's features are unmatched in a multi-fx device: 48 seconds, undo, play once, pre/post, half speed, and reverse with every function assigned to a footswitch.

I've heard your tracks and kudos to you. Being able to go out to a park and do what you did is very cool, G3 is great for that type of thing and likely unmatched. For me personally, I like a little more variety and realism than a static drum loop, thus the usage of MIDI captured patterns of actual performances and sample libraries. Never said the inclusion of the drums, nor the quantization, is useless. I simply don't use those features of the G3.

17. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Member

Quite simply, I want a one-box rig, which offers:
    • stompbox and amp modeling
    • the ability to switch between pre-set and stomp box mode
    • the ability to select/de-select individual pre-sets/stomp boxes
    • volume/wah pedal
    • "realistic" tone when used direct and in front of a tube combo amp
    My combo amps do not have effects loops, nor do I wish to use external pedals; therefore, external loops are not needed.

A looper would be a nice bonus feature, but is not required.

I hope this helps to clarify my needs. That said, is the Zoom G5 now the more viable option, or are we headed back toward Line 6 POD HD or some other country?

18. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I like the dirtbox modeling in both the Zoom and Digitech boxes over the HD unless you're going for modern Smashing Pumpkins wall of fuzz style tones. IMHO, the HD dirtboxes have a little entra high end energy which is a bit hard to dial out and the competition (especially Digitech) is warmer by comparison. Of course one man's warmth is another's mud. Between the Zoom and the Digitech, I like that Digitech parameters align with the real world effect being modeled. That said, Zoom has a slightly less traditional selection of dirtboxes such as the Marshall Gov'nor, Matchless Hotbox (though don't care too much for this one, hard to dial in), and ADA MP1 emulation as well as some very cool oddball effects. Both do modulation and delay well with Digitech generally having a slightly more lo-fi/stomp box tone (in a good way) versus Zoom's more polished "rack" sound (also in a good way). Reverb is a dead heat.

Honestly, its going to boil down to how your specific amp interacts with each device and no one can make that decision but you. Functionally with an amp, each delivers a strength. With the Digitech, you get comp, od/dist, EQ, modulation, delay, and reverb which is great but if your the type which never uses one of those effects and would rather have something like a chorus and tremolo available at a moments notice, then the G series offers you that flexibility at the expense of having less effects available at once. Direct, I think you'd be happy with either.

19. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

i don't care about amp sims and od stompboxes.. whis has better effect.. reverb, delays, pitchshifting , pashers, filters,trems, vibes... ect..? I just sold my G3 and looking for a good fx board with the wah built on to it.. so basically an digitech rp or a zoom g5.. I was really impressed with the sounds on the G3.. I don't really care about a looper

20. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

In pitch-shifting, Digitech is worlds better than Zoom. With everything else it's going to be based on personal taste as they both do things well just differently.