Digitech rp360 vs G5

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by xervinx, Mar 31, 2015.

1. xervinx

xervinx Member

İ like g5 but amp models desnt enough for me anymore.I sold my tonelab after zoom but i relly miss it.Digitech have great amp models and lots of cab models is it worth to try it?
    Or should i back to tonelab.
    Who own this units same time can you tell me difference.

2. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

All three are very affordable, and only you know what time you will be satisfied with. Get ask three for a head to head and sell the units that you aren't happy with once you spend some time with them. Comparing a piece of gear to the memory of a piece of gear isn't the best way to pick your rig if you can avoid it.

3. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

For my uses the tonelab is better by a little bit between the three. I had a G3, still have xp360 and I still have 2 tonelab floor models.

For cover gigs they all will work. My ears tell me that the vox is still the closest to using a traditional amp when it comes to "feel" and the tones I like.

Keep in mind I dwell in the pop/classic rock world and don't do the brutalz, djent, etc. except when I'm trying to make enough noise to keep those durn hooligans off my lawn. :D

4. forumguy

forumguy Member

Which tonelab are you using?

5. ballhawk

99% of the time I used the SE (blue with 2x expression pedals) for many years at gigs. Also used its close cousin the LE (has the exact same sounds but a little less functionality) a few times.

The last few years I've tried different things but only the torpedo c.a.b. and now the atomic amplifire have been (to my ears) in the same league, as the tlab. Actually they surpass it imho.

6. ballhawk

I should add that I have never used the kemper or fractal but don't doubt I would like them as well.

Amazingly I get great results with the Vox DA-5. It's great for quieter jams or practice with other musicians. I wish Vox would come up with something that's updated. They and Yamaha have produced some really good fundamental guitar sounds over the years.

7. gulliver

gulliver Member

I have the Tonelab LE, had a RP1000. The tonelab is limited and some of the models/settings have artifacts ... but when you dial it in right and go through a good tube amp, it is dead on. I've compared side by side with a JCM800 ... it is at 100%.

I look at it as more of a modeling preamp that works well with tube amps. You just can't beat it for that. If you're going into an SS amp, the others will probably be a little better, but will not pop like the Vox through a tube amp.

8. ballhawk

I suppose the OP should let us know what is the intended usage. Home recording and playing gigs are different things.

And for the record, and with all due respect, My tonelab sounded great using a velocity 120 power amp with a 1x12 beta eminence. Prior to the eminence i used a greenback clone without cab sims.

9. willy_907

willy_907 Member

Digitech great amp models? Im sorry but this is not the case, people get decent sounds out of the gsp because of the ir loading capability (wich was introduced as an unoficial fw update). Zoom have far superior modelling , pod hd even better.

(I have both a rp500 and a zoom g3 in my home).

10. xervinx

xervinx Member

Thanks for all replies,
    let me tell you want i need,I have yamaha thr10x its enough me for practise and enjoy playing.But effects and amp models is doesnt enough for my recording or trying to get diffrent sound styles.
    Tonelab have some limits on effects but i believe yamaha + tonelab gonna give me good results.Problem here is tonelab price,it is double price of rp360x.
    Zoom is good but sound is not bright and smooth.I buy it for features,features i never use.
    There is not to much demo for digitech but i listen some of them and sound looks like more smooth and bright then zoom.But i not sure is there a mix or eq tweaking.
    I dont say digitech modelling is better but model list is better.Ex is not bad too.
    I mostly play 80's heavy metal and shred guitars.And some classic rock or blues.Also interested 90's and some of modern metals worship guitar and clean fender styles.

11. xervinx

xervinx Member

I try digitech rp355 and boss me80 today boss is better and digitech is very close to zoom modelling.Is rp360 same with other rp series?
    I think better to buy toňelab and never look back.