Digitech RP360XP CV Gate

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by zagy, Sep 14, 2014.

1. zagy

zagy Member

Hi,

I want to connect the Digitech RP360XP to the CV out of the Arturia Beatstep. On the manual, it is written that you can connect the volume-expression pedal in the control in of the rp360 only (not the rp360xp). I wonder if the rp360 is better for what I want to do. Thanks!

2. zagy

zagy Member

Here is what I have tried so far.

Stereo cable from CV out activates the looper, so it is working like a switch. Same from the Gate out.

Mono cable from CV is more interesting. I have been able to play a bit with volume control and modulation but not sure if is an on-off behaviour. I have to find a certain pitch level from the Beatstep that allows to perceive the changes. I also tried to use an Y cable to connect the Gate and the CV (end connection has to be mono). Gate only didn't get any interesting but connecting both using the Y cable I was able to get some cool effects.

Hope to get some feedback. My main concern is that probably the RP360 can work better than the RP360XP for this test. But if the RP360XP can also support volume-expression using the control in at the same time than the built-in expression pedal, that is a lot better because it gives an additional level of control. Thanks.

3. zagy

zagy Member

Called digitech. RP360 only support passive inputs on the control in and RP360XP only supports the footswitch.

But the CV out from my arturia beatstep connected to control in is just working wonderful. It has to be a mono cable. You can control ANY controllable parameter with the CV that can be assigned to the expression pedal. I have the beatstep connected to ableton and with a keyboard and I can change the scale from my sequence, giving direct control of the parameter to the keyboard. Additionally, the built-in pedal helps to amplify the controllable parameter. I love the RP360XP. Hope this won't damage the pedal but I have tried it a lot so far without issues.

Hope you enjoy as I did.

4. zagy

zagy Member

Called Digitech again. Their comment was that the pedal wasn't designed for that but they also mentioned that it shouldn't damage the device.

5. hagbardceline

hagbardceline Member

This sounds very cool. I have been deeply considering the RP360 as the next step for me. I have been using Yamaha Magicstomps for a very long time.

I curious with the RP360 if there might be a way to gang the 3 way switch with the CV pedal thru some kind of adapter wire up.

6. zagy

zagy Member

Hi,
    CV is control voltage and is the output from the sequncer, in this case the arturia beatstep. I imagine you can use an Y cable. I think the switch requires a stereo connection so the Y should get both the stereo from the switch and the mono from the CV, but I'm just guessing.

7. hagbardceline

hagbardceline Member

You are describing about what I'm thinking of. Haven't pulled the trigger on getting one of these. Seems like its a great deal.

Good Deals with: TeleOshii
    Epiphone G400 with Dimarzios PAF Pro neck, Super 2 middle, D Activator bridge > Ernie Ball JR volume > Danelectro FishnChips > Yamaha MS2 > Mooer Black Secret > OCD 1.4 > Joyo Sweet Baby > Analogman Astrotone > Boss BD-2 > Ibanez AW5 > Yamaha MS2 > Boss PH-2 > Yamaha MS2 > Boss BD-2 > CMatmods Deluxe Signa Comp > ADA Rocket A10/A20R

8. hagbardceline

hagbardceline Member

Hi Zagy, I wonder if you have been changing the control in settings as you worked with your expression pedal. I found the following from the RP360 manual:

In the RP360 model, the CONTROL IN connector accepts an
    external expression or volume pedal for real-time
    control of effect parameters or a DigiTech FS3X
    Footswitch for additional footswitch control

The following section describes each of the available Control In options

FS3X
    Select this option when connecting an optional DigiTech FS3X Footswitch for additional footswitch control

For example, if you configure the RP360XP for Stomp Mode operation,
    you could use the three footswitches on the RP360XP for stompbox on/off control and the connected FS3X Footswitch for preset navigation and Looper control

See Using An Optional
    FS3X Footswitch on page 37
    for more information on using an optional FS3X Footswitch

LOOPER
    This is the default setting from the factory

Select this option when connecting an optional
    DigiTech FS3X Footswitch for full-time Looper control

See Using An Optional FS3X Footswitch on page 37 for more information on using an optional FS3X Footswitch

EXP/VOL (RP360 Only)
    Select this option to use an external volume controller to control RP360 effect parameters

NOTE:
    To use a volume pedal for RP360 control, the pedal must meet the
    following requirements:

Must be a passive guitar volume pedal
    Must offer a 1/4” TS cable connection and be connected using a TS cable
    Must use a 250 kOhms or higher pot

EXP/TRS (RP360 Only)
    Select this option to use an external expression controller to control RP360 effect parameters

NOTE:
    To use an external expression pedal for RP360 control, the pedal must
    meet the following requirements:

Must be a resistance-based expression pedal
    Must offer a 1/4” TRS cable connection and be connected using a TRS cable
    Must offer a resistance of 10 kOhms or higher