Digitech rp500 construction

6Tones

Digitech advertises this unit as "all metal construction"
Little did I suspect all the control knobs/potentiometers are ALL plastic.
I never abuse my gear but I just recently had 2 control knobs break off right at the plastic shaft/pot after I took it out of the padded bag which I transport it with.
Do all multi fx manufactures use plastic pots?
Great sounding unit though now rendered useless by cheap construction,digitech will not cover it under warranty and its a 85$ repair they say.

kjrocks

Silver Supporting Member
That sucks to hear especially since just picked one up. Those are recessed fairly well any idea how it happened. You can still access your settings through X-edit.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
Two words...

padded bag

I dont care how you slice it but ALL gear must go in a hard case. In the last week Ive managed to aquire a 2 space a 4 space and a 6 space rack to go with the 10 space I already have. I carry my pedals in a hard mixing board case I converted for a pedalboard.

It doesnt matter if you're a touring pro or a weekend warrior.

I know some guys get away with the padded cases but eventually... they are gonna get hurt.

It does suck when things are made of plastic though so I do indeed feel for ya.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
Just FYI: I have repaired several sheared plastic pot shafts just by SuperGlue-ing them back together. Just be really careful not to let any drip down into the pot's mechanism.

6Tones

As in the original post ,it was in a padded gig bag.
It must have hit against something in my car on the drive home.
Plastic pots ..:mad:

Two words...

padded bag

I dont care how you slice it but ALL gear must go in a hard case. In the last week Ive managed to aquire a 2 space a 4 space and a 6 space rack to go with the 10 space I already have. I carry my pedals in a hard mixing board case I converted for a pedalboard.

I know some guys get away with the padded cases but eventually... they are gonna get hurt.

strumminsix

Two words...

padded bag

Right on! 100% correct. My favorite is the guitarist who shows up at gigs with only 1 guitar in a beat up gig bag and no case. If you haven't seen him lately just look at a band who appears to be all setup but still looks worried and he'll be in shortly there after like nothing is wrong..

padded gig bag.
Not trying to kick ya while you are down but those 3 words do not belong in the same sentence.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
Right on! 100% correct. My favorite is the guitarist who shows up at gigs with only 1 guitar in a beat up gig bag and no case. If you haven't seen him lately just look at a band who appears to be all setup but still looks worried and he'll be in shortly there after like nothing is wrong..

Not trying to kick ya while you are down but those 3 words do not belong in the same sentence.
Yes, I think 6tones missed my point. If you put your stuff in a padded gig bag... eventually, something is gonna get broken. Put everything in a hard case. The harder the better.

Geno_xl

I used to play with that guy, actually I let him borrow the gig bag because he was carrying his guitar around in a CARDBOARD BOX!:bonk

6Tones

I didn't mean padded gig bag as in a 'guitar gig bag' .
I meant it was in a padded bag and babied as it was transported.. I guess not babied enough..seems even it was a missplaced foot on stage these knobs would break off..
Its a great sounding unit though flawed (wallwart and plasticpots)
I used it only as a backup or for verysmallgigs in cramped playing areas
(fyi I'm not a amateur musician so don't jump to assumptions and blame the player )
Ive been a longtime user of digitech gear..their hardwire series seems alot more roadworthy.

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
The harder the better, most definitely, but I wouldn't make a blanket statement that things will definitely get ruined.

I can show you current pics of my two PRS that I've been gigging twice a weekend in bars for 5 and 6 years, and rehearsing three times a month on average, that have only been in gig bags their whole life, and have no damage whatsoever.

It's all in how you treat your stuff.

dk123123dk

I didn't mean padded gig bag as in a 'guitar gig bag' .
I meant it was in a padded bag and babied as it was transported.. I guess not babied enough..seems even it was a missplaced foot on stage these knobs would break off..
Its a great sounding unit though flawed (wallwart and plasticpots)
I used it only as a backup or for verysmallgigs in cramped playing areas
(fyi I'm not a amateur musician so don't jump to assumptions and blame the player )
Ive been a longtime user of digitech gear..their hardwire series seems alot more roadworthy.
Dude I'm sorry but if you put it in a place where it could get banged around in your car, you are at fault not the unit. It's a shame that Digitech couldn't step up and use metal pots, but the fact of the matter is, you broke the thing by handling it roughly/not transporting it safely...

dk

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
That's what she said!

BTW - you are gonna love that TubeWorks poweramp coming in at ya!
Did she really say that? LOL

Yeah, Im looking forward to the amp getting here. It was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow but they reshceduled for Friday.

I gotta get to the store and buy some jacks and stuff to wire the cab.

Then I gotta sell some more stuff in the emporium to buy some new speakers (not the the ones in it are bad). Oh yeah, I also have to buy a hard case for the Control 2. heheh sorry, just taking the piss man.LOL

Two words...

padded bag

Here is what I did. I found a Haliburton case at a yard sale, $5 bucks. Then I took the material the unit was packed in and carefully trimmed it to fit the case. There is NO movement in the case and no chance of broken pots. You could use any old suitcase of the right size and fill with foam sheets to taste.
http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt287/ElvisAfterDark/?action=view&current=RP-500-1.jpg

http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt287/ElvisAfterDark/?action=view&current=RP-500-2.jpg

http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt287/ElvisAfterDark/?action=view&current=RP-500-3.jpg

Gatorplayer

The same thing happened to my RP350. Fortunately I purchased the extended warranty and they are sending me a full credit at GC. I had mine in a bag but I agree that it will get knocked around -try carring a guitar and the bag and going in and out of a car, buildings, etc.. Either I need to make a hard case or buy one. I am upgrading to the RP 1000. What do you guys suggest for a hard case? Does anyone make them or is it time to go to the lumber yard?

thanks

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
The same thing happened to my RP350. Fortunately I purchased the extended warranty and they are sending me a full credit at GC. I had mine in a bag but I agree that it will get knocked around -try carring a guitar and the bag and going in and out of a car, buildings, etc.. Either I need to make a hard case or buy one. I am upgrading to the RP 1000. What do you guys suggest for a hard case? Does anyone make them or is it time to go to the lumber yard?

thanks
I have my RP1000 in a Pedaltrain hard case.

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
Would be great if Digitech (or someone else) made cases for them.
There are so many people out there that can make a road case for this thing that it will blow your mind.

Also, I've always thought road cases are a huge waste of money for local weekend gigging bands and I still feel that way. They make everything bulky and heavy, when all you really need to do is be a tiny bit careful when carrying your stuff from the car to the bar (and back.)

I've gigged with a two guitar gig bag for many years and it's awesome! I also just use covers for my heads and cabs. I've made the mistake of getting big ass heavy expensive road cases a couple of times, only to hate it. :)

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
There are so many people out there that can make a road case for this thing that it will blow your mind.

Also, I've always thought road cases are a huge waste of money for local weekend gigging bands and I still feel that way. They make everything bulky and heavy, when all you really need to do is be a tiny bit careful when carrying your stuff from the car to the bar (and back.)

I've gigged with a two guitar gig bag for many years and it's awesome! I also just use covers for my heads and cabs. I've made the mistake of getting big ass heavy expensive road cases a couple of times, only to hate it. :)
I agree to a point. What hapens though is eventually someone else is loading in your sltuff. Yes, I know you're talking bars but on many occasions our rider would state that the bar have a person or two to help us load in.

Sure, you can just have em load everyone elses and then you load your own but Ive been in bands where we had to load in PA too and a drum riser or whatever for a club.

Im looking to recover my 4 x 12 cab and that joker is going in a road case. Im not gonna drop a few bills making a beautiful cab only to see it bumped and dinged up. Even with a cover. Ive got a buddy who has a cover for his 4 x 12 and the cab still gets beat just going in and out of a club on and off the bus.

Generally, most of the gear I buy is a lifetime investment. I redid the covering on my 900 combo and put it in a road case. Its been all over the country and it still looks new.

When I was playing with Floyd Miles, our other guitar player had his Super in a road case and that thing was mint even though it was an early 70's model.

To each his own though. I guess if its a piece of gear you're gonna get rid of someday then maybe some bumps and bruises are OK.

I case everything for resale value but mostly because certain items are lifetime purchases for me.

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
I agree to a point. What hapens though is eventually someone else is loading in your sltuff. Yes, I know you're talking bars but on many occasions our rider would state that the bar have a person or two to help us load in.

Sure, you can just have em load everyone elses and then you load your own but Ive been in bands where we had to load in PA too and a drum riser or whatever for a club.

Im looking to recover my 4 x 12 cab and that joker is going in a road case. Im not gonna drop a few bills making a beautiful cab only to see it bumped and dinged up. Even with a cover. Ive got a buddy who has a cover for his 4 x 12 and the cab still gets beat just going in and out of a club on and off the bus.

Generally, most of the gear I buy is a lifetime investment. I redid the covering on my 900 combo and put it in a road case. Its been all over the country and it still looks new.

When I was playing with Floyd Miles, our other guitar player had his Super in a road case and that thing was mint even though it was an early 70's model.

To each his own though. I guess if its a piece of gear you're gonna get rid of someday then maybe some bumps and bruises are OK.

I case everything for resale value but mostly because certain items are lifetime purchases for me.
Can't say I've experienced the same, but like you said, to each his own. I've never played a bar where there was even a chance to have a rider, much less anyone help. LOL! Remember, I'm playing around St. Louis. :)

And FWIW, we load in a full PA, lights, and our own equipment every gig. Yes, it sucks.

Maybe that's why I'm after lighter and easier to move stuff (meaning not as big and bulky as a cab or amp in a road case.) I even used to keep one of my 4x12" cabs in the trailer full time in a padded Tuki case. Not a scratch! Seriously! :)

Trending Topics