Digitech screaming blues............

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by OldSchool, Oct 4, 2005.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I know this is cork sniffing country.............but anyone here try out this bargain pedal? I have played the Green Monkey and was pretty impressed for the money.............anyone check these out?

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I thought it was not bad but not as good as the Bad Monkey :).

It has more gain and a more glassy type of tone, but it's harsher - especially on the slightly-overdriven tones. Less natural-sounding and blended less well with the amp's overdrive as well, it has that slight 'separate' fizz over the top of the main note.

I really liked the Hot Head distortion though - extremely even-sounding and powerful.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks! exactly what I wanted to know..............that green Monkey is a heck of a pedal for the money though..........

4. jcs

jcs Member

i own 3 bad monkeys and 1 screamin blues..

into my 60s fender-marshall-ampeg amps the screamin blues is a bit more edgy but i think it could sound better for heavy chords on the wound strings possibly over the monkeys..

that said i still love the bad monkeys,sometimes i chain together all 3!:cool:

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I tried them both, and liked the Screamin' Blues. I picked it up (and I am no cork sniffer, but I do have a lot of different overdrive pedals...) I think the thing sounds pretty great, liked it way better than my stock TS-9.

That said, I realized I seem to have moved over to the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde, I have a red and a silver one, and I tend to use the silver one all the time now. But I really do like the screain blues..I recommend it. I used it for close to a year and there is a good chance I'll be checking it out again tonight :)

For the price, that thing is great!

6. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

+1
    That's exactly how I would describe it.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

That way my impression too. I really like the Bad Monkey for smooth, natural OD. I found the Screaming Blues to be harsh and shrill in comparison. Not very natural sounding at all. It may work if your amp already has some distortion going on, but on its own into a clean amp, it was pretty nasty.

8. jcs

jcs Member

thru my 71 marshall 50 and 63 tremolux, the bad monkey can be a bit too smooth for heavy chords on the wound strings,but it is nice for leads..

the screamin blues has more bite on the wound strings but is edgier on the g-b-e strings...

of course i have all the best nos tubes in these amps so none are bright and harsh compared to some of todays amps...

btw, i dont care for either the bad monkey or screamin blues thru my blackface princeton...

though i can get by with the bad monkey and marshall bluesbreaker (1st issue) thru the princeton,i would like a better od pedal with the princeton...

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Not that I'm sticking up for the Screamin Blues, but I gotta wonder how you guys are using yours.

There are both bass and treble tone controls on these pedals. I know if I set them "flat" (not really flat but midway) there is an edge, but I can get tons of different tones, virtually edgeless (treble down bass way up...gain to taste),etc.

Did you guys spend much time tweaking or was it just a quick tryout?

Reason I ask, I spent a good deal of time with both the Monkey and blues in the store. The Monkey had MORE distortion and was really nice, but I play a lot of blues, and usually want a light gain/distortion where it sounds clean but overdriven...but at times I want the kind like in the "sinners Prayer" or the opening of "Reconsider Baby" on Claptons "From the Cradle"...

The Blues just lay closer to what I wanted on the scale. I had a real sense that that whole line of pedals are very similar with more varying degrees of gain/dist (but that also then would affect tone of course) .

Anyway, they are inexpensive enough that you could buy both (which is great because you can set each one to it's best feature).

And no...I do NOT work for Digitech. I was though surprised at how inexpensive and how nice these pedals sounded.

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

+1.

I own a monkey and I tried the 'Blues on 2 separate occasions and had the same impressions found above. I couldn't dial out the fizz wihtout totally compromising the tone (much like many Boss OD's). I need to try the Hothead tho.