Digitech SDRUM? Intelligent drum machine pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by therhodeo, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Suarkttam

Suarkttam Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wait, WHAT?!?!? David Packouz of Beatbuddy is who the movie WAR DOGS is based on?!?!? How did I not know that?

2. Suarkttam

Suarkttam Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you don't mind me asking...what is an example of a desktop DAW that handles simple beats on a tap pad by embellishing them into more elaborate rhythms like the sDrum does?

LordByron likes this.
  3. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

Shocking really.

4. filo01

filo01 Member

Maybe it is possible with "TableTop" FS3X mode by pressing button 2:
    Temporary Mute: Press and hold to temporarily mute the drums. Once the FOOTSWITCH is released, a fill will be played and the drums will play normally at the start of the next bar.

5. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Silver Supporting Member

Yes this is the solution, this command is a mute and doesn't send a stop/start to connected JamSync'd devices.

-alex and filo01 like this.
  6. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Silver Supporting Member

Okay SDRUM and MIDI folks!

Our Harman Canada Engineers who developed the SDRUM also clandestinely included the ability to sync MIDI devices to the SDRUM via the JamSync connector. The SDRUM must be the master since it only sends these MIDI commands. We have been casually testing this over the past few weeks and it has been working consistently, so we are willing to share with the public. This is not considered an official feature since it was initially included for internal use/testing/future dev only. It requires a custom cable to be made (or found, we were able to find a few online that follow this wiring scheme) that follows the wiring below:

[​IMG]

Many thanks to our Harman Canada team: Peter Lupini, Glen Rutledge, Norm Campbell, and Dan Godlovitch for thinking of this and creating such a cool pedal!

K3v1n, norpe, MickeyJi and 13 others like this.
  7. Jazzmaster60

Jazzmaster60 Member

The last gig my acoustic duo played was between 9pm and 1 am - 4 sets , 45 minutes in length each with 15 minute break in between . We played close to 50 songs . I felt bored by own self at the end of it !

xcc and Scrapperz like this.
  8. -alex

-alex Silver Supporting Member

This is very cool, and it is even cooler that you are sharing it!

Thanks!

9. Rai

Rai Member

So my SDRUM came today. Yay!

Initial thoughts and wishlist for firmware update, editor or sdrum+: volume level for the hats/rides independent of the drum level.

@DigiTechRep

10. wakkawakka

wakkawakka Member

Hey, got the pedal and some usable beats, but in a performance situation I'd like to play a few notes, start the drums, end the song, and then start the next song. Currently it plays a few seconds of the previous beat while erasing. Or I can bend down and go into 'count in mode' but that gets me stick clicking.

I don't want to bend down and change the pedal between "count in" and normal modes between songs, and I don't want stick clicks. I've read the manual and have an FS3X, am I missing something in the manual? I'd think my scenario pretty normal?

Edit: Ahh, I _thought_ I was in count-in/silent clear mode, but I hadn't pressed the verse button and let it go before holding it down, enjoying it now :) table top mode is fun.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  11. Rai

Rai Member

@DigiTechRep

A workaround to limited number of knobs for a separate volume for the hats/rides would be a firmware update where you can adjust the volume by pressing and holding the Alt button while turning the hats/rides knob, the 12 leds serving as level indicators.

12. delay dude

delay dude Member

Thank you very much - it works perfectly! It even sends start and stop to my ditto x4 (my other midi devices didnĀ“t).

filo01 and Tom Von Kramm like this.
  13. StormJH1

StormJH1 Member

Sorry, I just saw this. The only DAW's I really use are on iPad. There isn't anything that works exactly like the SDRUM (which is part of why I like it), but there are a number of apps, including GarageBand, DrumJam, and Beatwave that have some type of auto drum generation feature that is useful for non-drummers.

I had the SDRUM hooked up to my FS3X and JamSync'ed to my Jamman Express XT. At first, I didn't understand what it was doing. But then I figured out that the SDRUM (as "Master") was starting and stopping the looper and basically cutting loops into patterns divisible by 1, 2, 4, etc. bars. Wow. For someone like me who really struggles with the timing of using a looper, this is incredibly useful. I also didn't realize until now that neither the TRIO nor the TRIO+ had JamSync...less of an issue for the latter, since it is its own looper. But still, really impressed with how it worked in conjunction with the looper, and it actually made use of the looper more rewarding.

One final tip (probably obvious), even though I use a single amp (Katana 100) for both the SDRUM and my guitar parts, I strongly recommend using the L(MONO) Mixer output into your amps AUX IN jack (if it has one) and then running the guitar signal through the amp output. This provides several advantages:

• Allows for a dry signal played by the amp free of preamp/EQ stack/effects for drum playback;
    • Allows you to use overdrive pedals in front of the SDRUM without altering the sound of the drums;
    • Allows for independent volume control of the drum and guitar parts
    Many (most?) modeling amps and entry-level practice amps from the last couple of decades have an AUX IN jack because the thought was that novice guitarists would want to play along with a CD/MP3 player.

Rai and Tom Von Kramm like this.
  14. Jae.Rae.L

Jae.Rae.L Member

Just drums. No bass on the Sdrum I'm sure it has more options for drums and looks like you have more control over the beat,snare, high hats etc

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  15. StormJH1

StormJH1 Member

When it was first announced, it seemed like they had the releases backwards...shouldn't they do a drums-only pedal first and then integrate that into a band-in-a-box pedal later?

But having owned it, I'm actually getting more use out of the SDRUM, and it's a different approach to how you program it. JamSync is part of it - I mentioned above how it integrates with the looper. But the TRIO actually doesn't allow you to program drum parts at all - it just takes a chord progression and then suggests a handful of backing tracks that might go with that. That's kind of backwards...if you have a drum part in your head, what I need the pedal to do is play it for me, since I lack the skill, equipment, or friend-who-is-a-drummer to be able to produce that myself. The SDRUM actually listens to suggestions about what the drum part should sound like, by reducing it the very simple framework of programming a drum and snare over a couple of bars, which is something even most people with poor rhythm can manage. And it's a song writing tool and kind of like an automated drum machine, also, since you can cycle through different variations and instrument choices layered over that pattern.

Tom Von Kramm likes this.
  16. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

You can use something like EZDrummer2 to find any midi drum loops you have stored. I think the drummer in Logic would also suit your purposes.

17. mosquito control

mosquito control Member

This is absolutely excellent. Built a cable yesterday and SDRUM now syncs flawlessly with my Pigtronix Infinity Looper. Thanks Digitech folks!

18. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Holy cow!!!:eek:
    I got one with the foot switch during the early crowd funding period. Then I exchanged several emails with him and hooked him up with Truefire. The head of Truefire even did an endorsement for him....need to pass this along, I feel taken dirty.....

19. go49ners

go49ners Supporting Member

Anyone want to sell their SDRUM?

20. -alex

-alex Silver Supporting Member

not a chance - I'm still loving it ;)

Rai likes this.