Digitech Space Station Alternative? Something Comparable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FloatingInSpace, Feb 23, 2009.

1. FloatingInSpace

FloatingInSpace Member

Hello folks! I have never been one for multi-effects boxes and have always gone the custom/vintage stomp box route. HOWEVER, I recently heard the now discontinued Digitech Space Station, particularly the first 9 "string swell" sounds and have not found its equal.

I know Digitech makes the EX7 which has a couple of the Space Stations settings on it, but I would rather not buy a multieffects pedal with a bunch of distortion and flange and such I already have with other pedals. With the Space Station going up to 400+ used on ebay and other auctions, I was wondering if anyone here knew a pedal of any sort, that's main function gives that spacey stringed almost mellotron like sound that the Space Station does? thanks in advance!

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The Line 6 Verbzilla does something different but may be what you'd like. Won't give you what the space station does, but will give you something cool and spacey and atmospheric. Check out the demo video on line 6's website

3. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I can get some great Space Station-esq sounds with a volume pedal in front of my Yamaha Magicstomp. I set the magic up with reverb, modulated delay and pitchshift and it sounds great.

4. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

The Boss PS-3 will do a lot of the same thing. But, it's discontinued and expensive too. Smaller with better bypass, though.

5. burningyen

burningyen Member

The EX-7 is the size of a wah/volume pedal. You're not forced to use the other settings. IMHO the Verbzilla doesn't quite get you there.

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I never said it would do what the spacestation does.... I did state that it can get a listener into the same kind of "zone" as the space station if used tastefully and wisely. Especially the Octo and Cave settings, as demonstrated in the demo video

Having said that, I agree with you. The EX-7 does do the space station, and does it very well. For example: I bought a Roland Cube 60 amp...... it has a ton of settings however I only use it on the Fender Twin setting and never use the effects. I spent 400 bucks on a small amp with great tone that goes extraordinarily loud. Do I feel like I wasted my money? No, because that I feel that amp is worth 400 bucks for the Twin setting alone.

Similarly, either you buy a real spacestation for 400+ or you buy an EX-7 (think of it as a space station reissue) brand new for 200, or used for less.

7. Andre357

Andre357 Member

The ex-7 pedal is a great pedal. The original Space station takes up more real estate then the ex -7 as an FYI....

Also the ex-7 has an excellent buffer in it ( i used to have it in a mini looper until i did extensive a/b testing and realised there is no need )

And I'll eat my shorts if you dont find another sound or two you dig on the ex-7...

To me the space station sound is worth the price of admission on the pedal, but i also use it for the flange ( a slow swoosh setting I use in just one song or two over the course of three sets ), the octave up whammy setting ( again just in maybe one or two solos over the course of a night )...and it handles all my wah chores as well ! Once you get used to the shorter throw of the pedal the wah models sound very good on the ex-7 and are very usable.

The only thing that can approxiamate the space station sound is perhaps the volume swell patch on a DL4 into a Verbzilla on the OCTO setting ( or those two patches running into each other on a M13 )....but even then it doesn't sound nearly as good....

I would try the ex7....you can always return it if it isn't for you...

8. FloatingInSpace

FloatingInSpace Member

yeah that's a good point. The EX7 is going for like 199. would i pay 199 if it only did the space station sounds? quite possible. i think i will spend some time with it at my local guitar shop. thanks for the advice everyone.

9. Andre357

Andre357 Member

No problem man and I dig your user ID !! ( floatinginspace ).....reminds me of the space staition sound itself....welcome to TGP !

10. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I bought the EX7 just for the space station setting and don't regret it at all. Great pedal.

11. BTBAM

BTBAM Member

12. FloatingInSpace

FloatingInSpace Member

very cool stuff. its that awesome octo setting!!!! amazing!!! the verbzilla looks like an amazing pedal all around. thanks again for the suggestions!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009