digitech synth wah, boss dynamic wah...any love...any hate...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by semi-hollowbody, May 18, 2008.

1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Any love for either of these pedals...not looking to spend too much on an envelope filter as it wont get used too much, just want a decent filter to mess with?

Any opinions??

2. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

I have both of them. I use a DiscumBOBulator on my main board, Boss on my "B" board, and the Digitech is just in my collection of toys.

The AW-3 (Boss) and Synth Wah both do some great sounds, both do a nice "auto-wah" up and down, and the "human voice" thing on both of them is pretty cool. I prefer the Boss in both cases though, I like it's wah voicing a bit better, it tracks a little better & the human voice thing on it seems a bit cooler to me. (More vowel sounds) You can also plug an expression pedal into it to make it operate like a traditional wah.

The Synth Wah distinguishes itself in that it has two modes that sound like an analog synth, and they are really wicked sounding & a lot of fun to play with. It also has a cabinet simulator in it, which you can use to go direct into a board if you so desire.

Bottom line: For a straight filter, I'd recommend spending the extra $10 and getting the Boss. It does the basics & you can plug an expression into it if you want to go traditional. The Synth Wah is probably only useful for you if you're looking for some wilder sounds & need the DI thing.

If space is an issue, you might want to look at a Guyatone Wah Rocker too. It's about $75, is very tiny, and very basic.

Even cheaper is the EH Nano Dr. Q. Also tiny, but really about the same board footprint as a Boss. I must say that I didn't like this pedal and was very disappointed in it. I like most of the Nano pedals & own several, but this one and the Nano Clone receive no love from me.

I ramble and digress...

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Lots of folks say the AW-3 sounds way better if you use the bass input. Even when using a guitar. Try it.

4. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

thanks for the input guys!!!!
    Im thinking the boss is the way to go

5. gearboy

gearboy Member

I use the AW-3 on my main gigging board. I does the job for both up and down wah and some voice tricks. The knobs are on the sensitive side so tweaking on a dark stage is little montonous. I had the Synth Wah and used it more for the 'synth' than the 'wah'......

6. Birddog

Birddog Member

I gigged with a Boss AW-3 for several months, but it's off my board now. It's a good pedal and worked as advertised. I agree with the posters who like the human-vowel sounds.

Here's the but:

My problem is that I needed it for its wah (instead of using my real wah while singing) and to my ear, the wah was just too piercing no matter how I dialed the pedal in. I tried every setting imagineable and just couldn't come up with something that didn't sound like someone ramming a sewing needle into my eardrum at the top end of the sweep. At practice levels, I liked it. At gig volumes, however, it was just too harsh for me.

I've learned to wah and sing at the same time now (much like walking and chewing gum), so I don't plan on putting the AW-3 back on the gigging board any time soon....