• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Digitech Timebender first impressions

here's my initial impressions:

- I/you have never played a delay pedal like this.
- It has a huge amount of versatility. Easily the most versatile delay pedal I've ever played. the designer kept looking over and saying things like, "that pedal does that sound? i didn't even know it could do that!" so many new sounds to be had with just a little bit of exploring.
- this pedal can out-mode-7 the ps3 on any day
- here's a list of the features I can remember:
digital delay
- nice and clean. your basic digital delay.
analog
- great analog simulation, rivals my dd-7.
ducking delays
- digital and analog style, as well a new style of ducking that only repeats what you very recently played, so things don't get too messy.
reverse
- not much to say, just a nice good reverse.
envelope
- this mode only works on sustained notes. it basically cops the slicer tone.
looper
- 20 seconds, left pedal starts/repeats, right pedal stops/clears.
tone knob
- this affects every single delay type and the looper. from treble-cut-and-very-bassy to bass-cut-and-very-trebly
strum to set
- hold down the right pedal and mute your strings. with all down strokes, strum out any 6-hit pattern you can think of. when you turn on the delays, they will repeat in this pattern. you can also tap the tempo with the right footswitch.
modulation
- this can be applied to any setting from nice and subtly to wacky and warbly.
voicings
- this is where the pedal really shines. this affects the repeats. it can turn the repeats into up or down 2 semitones, 3 st, 4 st, 5 st, 6 st, 7 st, 8 st, 9 st, 10 st, 11 st, 12 st or 24 semitones. it also has arpeggiator modes. i've seriously never heard a delay pedal make sounds like this. great for ethereal/celestial sounds. also, with the looper, you can set it so that you loop in an octave down and then as soon as you repeat the loop it goes back up to normal pitch. then, you can play over the loop in any of the above shifts.
expression pedal compatability
- using an expression pedal, you can fully control any parameter (except delay types) or combination thereof. you can get some ridiculous sounds with some creative use.

i'm know i'm forgetting lots of things but that's the first impression. keep your eyes on this pedal!
video coming soon
-will

kp8

Nice feature set. I still want to know the specs. Not the "specs" they put on the site, but the specs that nearly every other manufacturer of digital equipment publishes: The bit depth and sample rate. Line 6, Boss, Digitech what are you hiding?

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I love versatility, but way too many knobs for me. I hate when the computerize stuff. Like the Timefactor. Yuck. The SuperDelay is the farthest I would go, and even it has too many knobs... analysis paralysis. But that's just me. :huh

The Echo Park is about the most I want to handle.:p

enocaster

I love versatility, but way too many knobs for me. I hate when the computerize stuff. Like the Timefactor. Yuck. The SuperDelay is the farthest I would go, and even it has too many knobs... analysis paralysis. But that's just me. :huh

The Echo Park is about the most I want to handle.:p
I have a Timefactor and struggle with this... it's not that it's too complicated, but that it can do so much you lose some immediacy. Some days I think of selling it for a 3-knob digi, but other times (like earlier today) I come up with some pretty amazing sounds that would be impossible with a simple setup.

jamison162

Very similar to the Boss DD-20, I'de almost say a copy. What will be interesting will be. Tonality, buffer and a/d - d/a converters compared to the DD-20.

What I can't understand is, if Digitech is trying to 1-Up the Boss DD-20, why stop with 4 presets? Why not do 8, that factor alone would weigh-in BIG TIME!

FireLine

Thanks for the info. I wonder if it will really be there by then. I've seen Sweetwater and others advertise things coming on a certain date and it doesn't actually arrive for another 6 months. As far as copying the DD20, I see what you mean. There definitely is some similarity, but there also seems to be a lot of new features that the DD20 doesn't have - harmony pitch shifting and strum your own pattern for eg. I also like the fact that you can add modulation to any delay mode.

ben_allison

I'd totally forgotten about this guy... probably a knee-jerk reaction to Digitech... and it does look like a DD-20 inspired design, but with some vast improvements (the BPM read out and global modulation being the most obvious).

I'm deciding between a Timefactor, or the impending Malekko or Seymour Duncan delays... might have to consider this one too!

I'm very curious about the modulation. Only one control makes me nervous (being held hostage to someone else's idea of what depth and speed should be is not appealing), but maybe the designer's ears are similar to my ears.

We'll have to see!

Tibbonds

The modulation control has 3 speed ranges (slow, medium, fast) and you can control the depth for each range. Not quite as adjustable as sperate rate and depth controls, but I'd hope the 3 ranges are sensible set so it works just fine.

I'm honestly terribly excited by this thing. With an expression pedal you can store different sounds for each preset at each end of the expression pedal's sweep (like a DL4), so essentially there are 8 presets and potentially the ability to morph between settings too. The videos don't demo how smoothly the morph is though, but even if it's very much on/off in operation, I can see the benefit of having, say, a tape delay preset with quarter notes at the heel end and a dotted 8th/quarter note stereo setting at the toe end. Or a reverse patch with unison pitch at the heel and and +1 or +2 pitch at the toe end (Crystals!).

Tibbonds

Yep yep, you could do a volume swell and freeze it once it reaches full volume, then play over the top until you want to kill it and swell in a different chord.

very exciting for me!

drolling

It's one of the most intuitive interfaces i've ever used...why don't you try it out first?
Hey! Where can I get one???

I've been holding off & holding off & holding off getting a new delay - Got lots of practice waiting for my name to come up on the Echoczar list (3+ years!) only to find I don't have the money anymore, and even if I did, my Canadian dollars don't go very far anymore..

I've been reading & reading the threads on the new pedals from TC Electronics, Eventide & Damage Control.. Not to mention that new Satriani delay from VOX.

If I go totally analog there's also the new version of Diamond's Memory Lane, and a few others that slip my mind at the moment.

But so far, I'm really, really liking what I've read about this new one from DigiTech. And it ain't *booteek*, which means I can actually try one at the local Mom & Pop/Brick & Mortar-style music store. If it's half as good as the reviews, I've gotta have one!

Tibbonds

I'm with you on that for sure.

I've been trying to decide recently between the Timefactor, Pitchfactor, Superdelay, Timeline and Echolution, and they all have features that interest me. Ideally I'd like a couple of those units for various features, but this new Digitech pedal actually has most of the features I want out of all the other delays. 4/8 presets may not be enough though!

ben_allison

Hey! Where can I get one???

I've been holding off & holding off & holding off getting a new delay...and it ain't *booteek*, which means I can actually try one at the local Mom & Pop/Brick & Mortar-style music store. If it's half as good as the reviews, I've gotta have one!
Yeah, I've been in turmoil, deciding between:

- Timefactor (converts dry signal, maybe sterile)
- Timeline (way too big)
- Malekko 919 (possibly not long enough delay time for me)
- Seymour Duncan Deja Vu (pricey for what it is)

I realized that I really do want "Infinite Repeats"... that leaves only the Timefactor...

I just got a Verbzilla for the "octo" setting... but based on the clips I heard on You Tube... it sounds like the Timebender will actually do a better job

And you're right – the fact that it's mass produced means I'll be able to demo it. I'm just hoping it doesn't mess with my dry tone, and that it actually sounds good!

Tibbonds

I figure it has functions/modes that are equivalent to:

Rhythm delay from the Superdelay.

Harmonized repeats from the Pitchfactor.

Multiple subdivisions and stereo patterns from the Timefactor.

Expression pedal functionality of both Eventides.

The freeze function of the Echolution.

And on top of all that, it has
a looper which looks better than the looper on any other combined delay/looper on the market and some Boss Slicer-esque effects too.

Sorry to gush so much about a product I haven't even seen in the flesh, but I think it's really rare something as exciting as this comes up in this price range.

drolling

I've got to be honest:

watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVpS8j0qmIs&feature=related) has me VERY interested... the pitch shift features make this an ambient/volume swellers dream... and I've just realized that infinite repeats are something I will use a lot live...

Man... can't wait to test drive one.
ME THREE! Thanks for the link, Ben.

They've finally come up with a looper that lets you use all the other delay effects while looping in real time!

Most of 'em need another delay in front to do the stuff in that clip. In fact, the only looper I've owned* that lets you do that is the DL-4, and even then, it's only 800 ms of plain vanilla digital delay. And I guess there's Maneco as well, but I've kinda given up on getting anything from him.

Now I'm really fired up.. Gotta go phone every music store in town!!

****EDIT**** Just realized I've never asked about the loop functions of the new ones from TC., Eventide, etc. Do they let you layer all the funky filters, arpeggiators, etc. on the fly & in real time???

And I just remembered that I do* have a couple of loopers that'll let me pitch shift, but I only hear the result when the loop's in playback mode. One's the original Lexicon JamMan & the other's the Electrix Repeater - both expensive, discontinued and only available as rack-mounted (I had to go out and BUY a rack for these guys!).

Could DigiTech have another 'classic' (Whammy Version 1) pedal in the making? If so, I'll have to get a second one for the time capsule

Last edited:

Trending Topics