Digitech Whammy 4 - Out of Tune?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dtirer, Dec 18, 2009.

1. dtirer

dtirer Member

I have a Digtiech Whammy 4 and the intervals have become 'out of tune'. For instance, when I bend to the octave it, it doesn't quite get to the octave when i get to the toe position. Same with all the other intervals.

is this normal?

Whats digitech's repair policy like?

2. MattBeckTwenty

MattBeckTwenty Member

Do a search for the manual. There's a way to recalibrate the pedal. Also, if there's ever a problem with the pitch returning to normal in the "heel" position, you can try removing the little feet pads on the bottom of the pedal. A recalibration should solve your problem though.

3. Youngpedals

Youngpedals Member

1) Place the rocker of the Whammy heel down (as far as it will go).

2) Disconnect the power from your Whammy.

3) Press and hold the bypass switch, while doing so plug the power supply into the Whammy. The bypass LED should start blinking after it has power, this means your in the cal. mode.

3) The heel down position is understood by the processor as unity gain, "unity pitch," or uneffected if you will. Go ahead and rock the pedal toe up and back to heel down, then repeat once more.

4) Press the bypass switch to exit cal. mode.

It should make the unit function as desired now.

4. dtirer

dtirer Member

hey guys, tried these steps. Not sure what the story is but it seems to be hit or miss. After I calibrate, sometimes it's in tune, sometimes its not. If it is in tune, it goes out of tune again after 1 minute of playing. Also, certain notes seems to track out of tune, while others do not.

Any ideas?

5. VA_siCkBoy

VA_siCkBoy Silver Supporting Member

I have the same problem with mine. Lots of "warbling".
    It wasn't like that when I first got it. Took it to some "repair shop", they ended up sending it back to the factory. It still sounds like crap.

6. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

the whammy has glitchy tracking. nothing is "wrong" with it's tracking if it's uncalibrating then there is something wrong there.

7. swededane1

swededane1 Member

pEOPLE USE THE NEW DIGITECH IF THEY ARE SMART CTRICTLY FOR OCTAVE UPOR OCTAVE DOWN IOR DIVE BOMB. tHATS IT . THE ORIGINAL I HEAR IS A SMART HARMONIZER . buT IDOUBT IT DOES WHAT THE EVINTIDE SMART HARMONY PEDAL DOES FOR LESS MONEY :>)

8. dtirer

dtirer Member

yes, i'm aware of the glitchy tracking. This is certainly a calibration / tuning issue. Just sent an email to the folks at digitech. Will see what they say. thanks!

9. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

the original is not a smart harmonizer

10. dtirer

dtirer Member

Actually, the got at Digitch said to leave the pedal on for 20 minutes before doing the calibration. Something about the tolerances of the chips changing after the pedal has warmed up.

Seemed to do the trick as the pedal is now working great.

11. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

um -- caps lock.... and um -- totally off base.... and um -- i dont even know what you are saying about the eventide pedal but ..... :bitch:bitch:bitch

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Awesome! I used to own a Whammy IV and loved that thing. Sold it for a compressor but pitch shifting bug kept nagging at me and eventually replaced it with a Boss PS-5, which I love even more. That is one fun effect to use, eh?

Congrats on having your pedal back!

13. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

anyone know if this recalibration procedure also works for Whammy I ?

14. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Wow, this is great to know. I was having the same problem as well:

I could, in Up/Down Octave mode for example, get either the top octave or the lower octave in tune. Never both. There was a definite out of tune warble. And as others have noted it was a a few months after I had mine that the problem started. I even tried "tricking" it when calibrating by not extending the treadle all the way forward, to try to buy some extra room. No such luck..

I going to give this a try right now. Hopefully I will have as good of luck with mine. The Whammy 4 has sadly been sitting un-used for about 3 months now due to this out of tune warble. I have a few fuzzes I would love to run though it (Blue Orchid, I'm a' comin')...

15. BasilHaden

BasilHaden Member

I know this is an old thread, but i just got a Whammy 4. I have the original Whammy and my friend told me people are paying like $600 for it, so I thought I would take it off my board and get the WH4 as a stand-in. All I can say is I'm shocked at how poorly made and different this thing sounds from the original. Who makes this decisions at Digitech? I'm sure they have an original lying around...it doesn't even come close...

16. somedude

somedude Member

The original WH-1 wasn't made by DigiTech, it was made for DigiTech.

17. JoeyHarley

JoeyHarley Member

you can't really even consider it "made" for digi, either. they paid the company that designed it for the rights to manufacture it and put their name on it. kinda like craftsman tools.

18. BasilHaden

BasilHaden Member

hey, thanks for the info...i guess that explains why they can't use the original design.

after playing around with the WH4, i don't think it's that awful, just different from the original. I might end up taking off the rubber feet so that the complete toe-up/heel down is more definite (the rubber feet squish and move passed the zero of the calibration when you put a little weight on it)