digitech whammy users.... what do you use it for?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by boog204, Jul 29, 2005.

1. boog204

boog204 Member

i've had mine for about 6 months and it's fun to mess around w/ no doubt, but i've yet to find a truly usable situation for it. the closest i get are w/ the octave sounds or the detune sounds for the cheesy jazz-fusion chorusy tone.... don't get me wrong it's a cool unit, but i can't figure out many useful applications for it. what do you use it for?

Unadan likes this.
  2. covert

covert Member

I mainly use mine for sonic mayhem, when playing less structured music. It also works for adding a slight wobble to guitars without a bar. Get some feedback going and mess withit.

Unadan likes this.
  3. ABKB

ABKB Member

It is great for mayhem. Also, I will use the octave up for the end of leads sometimes for a bit of a kick. Just hold the last note and go. Depending on the song, I might use the harmonizer stuff at times, that has to be thought out beforehand since it isnt intellegent, but it can be done. Since I play a Paul most of the time the octave down is always cool as well.

Unadan likes this.
  4. boog204

boog204 Member

sonic mayhem, good term. i've used it like this at practice or just to f--- around but i've never gone the mayhem route at a gig.

Unadan likes this.
  5. drolling

drolling Member

We do some 'industrial country' tunes where I use one or two of the harmonizer presets for fake steel bends and the octave down patch is great for doubling up with the bass player, but I mostly use it to create texture on my 'one-man-band' loops.

When I do practice (not nearly often enough) I use it to experiment with harmonies. It's not an 'intellegent' pitch shifter, so there's usually a couple of clams in there, but it's easier & faster than harmonizing lines on a 4 track tape recorder- which is how I used to do it.

DigiTech and ElectroHarmonix are two companies that have always produced the wackiest effects. Often difficult to use in a traditional 'musical' sense, I've been using their stuff for years to create tones I've never heard anywhere else.

Unadan likes this.
  6. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

Unadan likes this.
  7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I rarely use mine as it sucks tone and introduces noise (not a lot, but it shows up in big chains that is reduced drastically when taken out).

However, when I receive my loooper, and I save up enough to buy a tonebone boneyard, it will be there to stay, for it can create some whacky sounds.

Unadan likes this.
  8. covert

covert Member

Yeah, I'm still trying to find a place where my Digitech Space Station actually adds something.

Unadan likes this.
  9. iainmc

iainmc Silver Supporting Member

whammy - i have an old one, but i never use it anymore - i find the sound is kinda dated.

space station - i love that thing. i have used it all over - as a weird back track on recordings, as something that gets weird effect stabbbing in parts, as something to add some wildness to the end of a piece of mayhem & there are some things i have written using the arrpegio settings. i jsut wish it was more modifiable...

/i

Unadan likes this.
  10. covert

covert Member

I don't know about modifiable. If it had a few real controls, rather than just the pedal working a single parameter, it might really have been a winner.

Unadan likes this.
  11. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

Anybody else on here have the Whammy II? You can program it to flip through the effects one by one, or toggle between two effects. The treadle also lets you go between harmonies. I just wish there was a way to make it true bypass.

I don't use mine with my current band, but I like it mostly for faking tremolo stuff. The detune sounds are also pretty cool.

Unadan likes this.
  12. Frank B

Frank B Supporting Member

I find the Space station to be a great pedal. I actually have a back-up just in case something happens to my 'main' pedal board.

The tuner on it stinks but I've found 6-7 really useful sounds that I've had difficulty replicating w/ other pedals. I have to admit that those sounds are not very 'traditional' but I've had numerous people come up to me during gigs and ask about the synth sounds, etc.

Maybe I'm just not normal........:eek:

Unadan likes this.
  13. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

I have one, and I use it mainly for the detuned chorus effect, although the whammy and harmony effects are fun occasionally, just for "sound effect" moments.

Unadan likes this.
  14. III

III Member

My favorite thing to do with my W5 is to run the Octave +1 (and sometimes +2)... into my POG2 set to cut off the attack with just a hint of +1 upper octave...into some reverb. Some fun Phrygian Dominant sounds that conjure up the Middle East and India.

My other favorite thing to do with it is using the Molten MIDI 5 on a programmed sequence... but setting the Whammy manually to a different mode than the one intended by the MM5. Sounds like my guitar is abusing Autotune and winning.

The weaknesses of the Whammy 5 are... that it's pretty full sounding in Chords mode, but that fullness is very compressed and a bit white noisey. If it transitioned a bit smoother between pitches and used the whole sweep of the pedal better... that'd be good too. And if the physical size of it ended at Wham... that'd be rad too. It doesn't track as good as POG2.

Too bad the Richocet isn't True Bypass and MIDI capable.

15. reverendmaynard

reverendmaynard Member

Nothing like reviving an 11 year old thread.

16. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Silver Supporting Member

The Ricochet is true bypass when in latching mode.

17. III

III Member

Thanks for clarifying...

Also... Vibrothang and Punkifier reissues :D ... and keep up the good work, you're kicking ass with DOD.

Tom Von Kramm likes this.
  18. reverendmaynard

reverendmaynard Member

Wait. Hold on. I think I figured it out:

Ricochet + True Bypass + Latching Mode + Whammy = DIGITECH XP300 REISSUE WINTER NAMM. IT'S HAPPENING. I KNEW IT. THANKS TOM!!!!!

jk. sorry.

19. III

III Member

Doh... I guess I accidenly hit the Start Date button... and didn't notice until I ran my mouth.

20. papersun

papersun Member

happens to the best of us

III likes this.