1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Digitizing Vinyl?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by redragon, Nov 26, 2017.

1. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

It's time to digitize my old, out of print vinyl. I'm experienced in doing similar with cassettes using an old Roland digital to analog converter. That was certainly good enough considering the source. A little post EQ and I'm good.

With vinyl, should I go that route, i.e. turntable > receiver > converter > usb > computer?

Or should I consider turntables with built in converters and pre-amps? If so, which?

Budget is, say, $500.

2. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

If you have a good turntable now and can go the route you mentionedI would do that instead of buying anything new. I purchased a USB turntable about three years ago and it work fine. My turntable had died a few years earlier so I had to buy one. I use Audacity for the recordings and then burn them to CD.

3. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    When you run your turntable through a amplifier (what you are calling receiver), the phono inputs drive through through a phono or RIAA filtering preamp to fill in and interpret the frequency gaps due to the limitations of vinyl as a medium. The standalone units have that built in, but you can also buy a phono preamp if you decide not to use your amp for whatever reason - don't forget that step or you won't be happy with the results.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

how much of it already exists digitally online? whatever it is has a good chance of already being on spotify or even youtube.

5. redragon

I should have mentioned that, no, I don't have a turntable now.

6. redragon

Forgive my ignorance, what do you mean by "standalone units"?

7. redragon

No way. This is completely out of print, not even on Discogs, indy stuff.

8. redragon

Which turntable did you buy?

9. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    @redragon

No, that's me not being clear - I meant the turntables with the included preamp and converter.

10. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

Numark TT USB. I don't remember what I paid but i'm pretty sure it was under $200. maybe 150 -160. I got it on Black Friday a few years ago. It's worked really well for me. I also have quite a few vinyl LPs that are impossible to find on CD or digital formats.

11. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Supporting Member

I just use my old Onkyo turntable into a little USB interface. Software-wise, I started importing record into Logic and manually splitting the tracks, etc. It was really time consuming and I only did a few records over a year or two. I spent $29 on VinylStudio and ripped through a ton of them over a weekend. It's really well done, easy to use and gives good results. Definitely worth it for me.

redragon likes this.