Digiverb owners: question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ruger9, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I just got a used Digiverb, and it's surprisingly good. I prefer it to the Verbzilla, and in some settings, the Holy Grail Plus.

Do these have low headroom problems? The verbs are beautiful, but the pedal seems to distort... just a little... when compared to the "off" position, or compared to the HG+. Just wasn't sure if this was a "problem" with this pedal. I did a search, but didn't come up with anything reagrding this issue.

I'm powering it using a DC Brick,which I think is 9V/200ma outputs, but I also tested a 9.6V/200ma Wall Wart with it, and same problem. Note: the recommended Digitech PS is 9.6V/300ma

ADDED:
    hmmm... I never used batteries, always a power supply, so I didn't even think about checking the battery out. The 9V was COMPLETELY DEAD. Now, I know hooking up a power supply is supposed to disable the battery, but... could having a dead battery in the pedal cause this problem, even tho I was using a power supply? I removed the battery (did not replace it), and the problem does seem to have improved...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I think the perceived change with the fresh battery is in your imagination.

I have noticed that you can run out of headroom on the DigiVerb. That's true of any digital pedal. Reduce the input level and all is good.

The only thing that annoys me about the DigiVerb is that the processor stops working before the battery light dims.

3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

OK, here's some more info (in case anyone is interested)...

The Digiverb can pull 300ma at peak.
    The digitech power supply is a 300ma PS.

The DC Brick provides only 55ma per 9V output (part of the paroblem.) Up to 375ma COMBINED on ALL it's 9V outputs.

The One Spot can deliver up to 1700ma combined.
    Powering the Digiverb with the One-Spot (which has no other pedals on it), seems to work ALOT better. There still might be a SLIGHT headroom issue, but if there is, it's barely noticeable (and could be in my mind at this point.)

Apparently, the Digiverb is one of the hungriest (milliamp) pedals ever. But damn it sounds good!

Even tho I power my board with a DC Brick, it can't handle the duties of the Echo Park I have, nor the Digiverb. Maybe I will just go back to using my One Spot.

FWIW, the Pedal Power 2+ also will NOT deliver the goods required for a 300ma pedal... 250ma is it's highest output.

The only power supply I found that can deliver at least 300ma PER OUTPUT is the Juice Box.

SO- it looks like my "problem" is one simply of providing enuff power. I hate to use another dedicated wall-wart, so I'll try power my whole board with the one-spot again, just to get enough power to the Digiverb. Then I'll have a DC Brick I'm not using...

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Sounds lik eyou figured it out. If I were you I'd definitely try the one-spot and see if headroom improves.

5. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Well, you're close... The 300ma rating on the DigiVerb is just what they put on the nameplate. The idea, I think, is that they want you to match it up with DigiTech's 300 ma wall wart.

I've actually measured the current draw of the DigiVerb. IIRC, it's close to 75 ma. While that's way less than 300, it's still more than the 55 ma that your brick can supply.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

great info Devil! Thanks!