Digtech JamMan VS. BossRC-20XL Loopers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by saltydogg, Oct 22, 2008.

1. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I was looking at both of these at the local chain store and only got vague answers and blank stares from the people who sell them. So I'll ask a more "in-tune" crowd of people. What are the pro's and cons to each of them? For starters, my intention is to lay rhythm tracks with the looper and solo or play lead over them. Of course I will overdub from time to time. My intention is NOT to be the "one man band" playing every Tuesday night at the empty corner bar. I do know the obvious differences such as the JamMan has more capacity, USB, microphone, etc..etc..I'm more concerned with clarity, ease of use and better tone at higher volumes. I understand that the Boss can only hold 11 tracks in memory? Your thoughts are graetly appreciated! Thank you.
    :bong

2. English Jim

English Jim Member

Tried both and got the Jam Man. Seemed easier to work and a little more flexible.

3. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

JamMan is the one to go with in features and price.
    I can't say tone-wise if there is a huge difference.

Some of the bullet points to go with the JamMan:
    • $50 more than the Boss but comes with a power supply and way more features
    • 99 presets over the Boss 14 or so
    • Up to 6.5 hrs over Boss 16 min
    • USB compatiable
    • More interface inputs like XLR
    • Can add external footswitch preset controler

I may be a little off on the Boss specs but still the JamMan wins this one.

4. Sid

Sid Member

just get the jamman...

5. burchyk

burchyk Member

I would like to hear somebody comment on sound quality of JamMan vs Boss unit(s). I have a JamMan myself and I don't like the tone degradation of direct signal, it even made me stop using it because of that.

6. MartinC

MartinC Member

I bought an RC-2, which has almost all the functionality of an RC-20XL but is a bit harder to use 'cos of the one pedal thing ... but it cost 1/2 the price. And an extra pedal can be added to make it easier to use.

Just a thought.

7. burchyk

burchyk Member

I may "downgrade" from JamMan to RC-2, don't need those features, never had any reason to keep more than 10 loops stored in memory, don't need to transfer files (recording quality lacks compared to good sound card or pod x3 imho), and smaller footprint of rc-2 is appealing

8. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

What is the maximum loop time on the RC-2? I tried the new Digitech Hardwire Delay/Looper but it only loops for 9 secs!! Way to short for practicing, soloing etc. I just need something really simple but with a long loop time available. All the other features I would probably never use.

TG

9. MartinC

MartinC Member

16 minutes ... spread across 11 tracks ... no restriction on how much in each track.

For jamming and practicing at home, I've found the built in drum patterns to be really useful too.

10. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Wow! So I could have one 16 min loop? This is the pedal that is the typical boss size right?

TG

11. vulcaniza P

vulcaniza P Member

rc 20's have reverse while the jamman and the littler boss rc 2 do not.
    something to think about as reverse is an awesome feature.

12. MartinC

MartinC Member

yes you can ... and yes, that's the regular Boss sized pedal