• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Dillion guitars. USA v. Canadian

eurotrashed

What a fishy mess this seems to be:

USA:
http://www.dillionguitars.com/

Canada:
http://www.jsdguitarshack.com/dillion_guitars/dillion_electric_guitars.html

So they have different models, same name, same logo, and are yet unaffiliated, and from what it seems one company says the other is inferior and vice versa.

Now this one has caught my eye:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dillion-SG-styl...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Which is Canadian Dillion. Now the USA Dillion now has an SG called the "Super G" or something. So when looking up reviews, whos to know what guitar is which, you know?

I have heard good things about some Dillions and bad things about others. What are the ones to look out for?

greuvin

Hmmm....look out for ALL of them....Both the "USA" and the Canada site say they are hand crafted in Korea.....lol...what else do you need to know? Cheap copies of the real thing...ie....junk.

eurotrashed

Sorry, I forgot all my guitars are junk then and I shouldn't even be on this board.

Because Gibson really makes a high quality product these days...

blueshawk1

Sorry, I forgot all my guitars are junk then and I shouldn't even be on this board.
You know how that goes.......they're probably on their way over to the thread about Agiles now to say they are all junk too.

Anyway, in reference to your op, it is a messy bit of business between the two - U.S. Dillion versus Canadian Dillion.
At first, I was just hearing that they were good guitars, and I got one, and after I got mine, I started hearing about the split, and one's better than the other..... In another forum, this was a topic, and I was wondering which I had, no one could tell me based on the serial number. I didn't care, mine was good, I was just curious.
More often than not, I hear they are good, it's a shame they are mucking up the waters with this battle, could end up killing off both of them.

eurotrashed

So which one are the good ones now? They are both Korean made. Do you think they still come from the same factory?

That white Canadian SG with P90s I posted seems like a steal. It is $460 and sold out on the website I posted

bluegrif

Hmmm....look out for ALL of them....Both the "USA" and the Canada site say they are hand crafted in Korea.....lol...what else do you need to know? Cheap copies of the real thing...ie....junk.
This is a view I held until about 10 or 12 years ago. I've since found many Korean made guitars to be of excellent quality. I've recently learned there are even some relatively small shops in Korea putting out really nicely made models like the Eastwood Tuxedo I just got.
I don't know anything about Agile, but the fact they're built in Korea certainly doesn't mean they're not professional quality instruments. Everything from real junk to really good comes out of that country these days.

eurotrashed

I have heard nothing but good things about Agile.

And anything out of the Samick factory (Washburn, older Epiphones) have been great

enocaster

I have a Dillion '56 Goldtop. It's an older "American" one, which I've been told is different than the current ones. It is absolutely NOT a piece of junk, it killed my R6 GAS for $300. I play and enjoy it just as much as my vintage '68 Tele.

blueshawk1

So which one are the good ones now? They are both Korean made. Do you think they still come from the same factory?
See, there's the problem, they've mucked up the waters so bad, and of course they get mucked up even more by people telling what they think they know..... Even as someone who owns one and has tried to figure it out, I gave up.
IF I remember correctly, the original and supposed better ones were the Canadian, but with that said;
I have the one on the U.S. website - DTT72 (thinline tele) and I know someone who has the DBM (Brian May style), and we're both very happy with ours, but neither one shows on the Canadian site, just the U.S. site. Did the Canadian one just stop carrying them?
And I've never heard if they come from the same factory.
I'm sorry, I'm not helping you at all.

benjammin420

i say go with whichever has the best price (neither one is going to be a gibson, but theyre both probably decent for their prices)

whitehall

Let me teach you something my elders tried to teach me a long time ago : A copy guitar is a copy guitar. Don't mean a rats ass who made it. None of them have any resale value at all if you buy them new. Forget all the forum weenies and their endless bs. In the real world a copy guitar is a copy guitar. As for Dillion, I've owned his stuff, it's no different than the the other crap. Kids make a big deal on this and all the other forums because they want to believe it's special. That's part of being a kid. And that's cool. Out in the real world ? don't mean squat.

eurotrashed

Let me teach you something my elders tried to teach me a long time ago : A copy guitar is a copy guitar. Don't mean a rats ass who made it. None of them have any resale value at all if you buy them new. Forget all the forum weenies and their endless bs. In the real world a copy guitar is a copy guitar. This is especially true of the Japan stuff. Look at that giant Edwards thread that's been running forever. Of the 5,000 posts like 30 people actually own the guitars. Now look on ebay under completed items.. you have to give this stuff away. Tokai is even worse. For every one that sells , 20 go no bid. As for Dillion, I've owned his stuff, it's no different than the the other crap. Kids make a big deal on this and all the other forums because they want to believe it's special. That's part of being a kid. Out in the real world ? don't mean squat.
No, a guitar that plays good is a guitar that plays good.

If its made in Korea, in the USA, or the moon, it doesn't matter.

The only guitars that hold value are Gibson and Fender anyway, people just want the name, copy guitar or not.

With how shady Gibson has been, I don't feel like supporting them especially I have played imported product that plays just as well.

My favorite guitar is a MIK Washburn. It was $350. I have another imported guitar that doesn't play as nice though.

So "whatever is cheaper" is not an answer. You can get a MIK guitar that is awesome or crap. And I want to know which Dillion is supposedly good.

yakyak

Silver Supporting Member
Let me teach you something my elders tried to teach me a long time ago : A copy guitar is a copy guitar. Don't mean a rats ass who made it. None of them have any resale value at all if you buy them new. Forget all the forum weenies and their endless bs. In the real world a copy guitar is a copy guitar. As for Dillion, I've owned his stuff, it's no different than the the other crap. Kids make a big deal on this and all the other forums because they want to believe it's special. That's part of being a kid. And that's cool. Out in the real world ? don't mean squat.

You know, I try to be nice and polite on this forum until jerks like you show up! I do not care what your "elders" taught you! I can tell right off what they DIDN'T teach you. I don't believe the OP asked YOUR opinion or your thoughts on resale or how stupid kids are. He was simply asking if anybody knew which was better- a Dillion USA or a Dillion Canadian model.
As for forum weenies-ummmmm...you fit that description more than most on here. You and the guitar shack guy that posted above need to mosey on over to the Les Paul forum so you can be with your own kind.
There is a market for all price ranges of guitars and nobody should be insulted on here for what they like or can afford or be made to feel inferior because of the likes of you.........

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
I dunno which one's supposed to be better but I was rather underwhelmed by the Canadian PRS clone I (briefly) owned.

blueshawk1

You know, I try to be nice and polite on this forum until jerks like you show up! I do not care what your "elders" taught you! I can tell right off what they DIDN'T teach you. I don't believe the OP asked YOUR opinion or your thoughts on resale or how stupid kids are. He was simply asking if anybody knew which was better- a Dillion USA or a Dillion Canadian model.
As for forum weenies-ummmmm...you fit that description more than most on here. You and the guitar shack guy that posted above need to mosey on over to the Les Paul forum so you can be with your own kind.
There is a market for all price ranges of guitars and nobody should be insulted on here for what they like or can afford or be made to feel inferior because of the likes of you.........
Thank you scorpio.
I try not to let such real forum weenies like that one get to me either, but they do make it difficult.

As for this nonsense;

I'm guessing your elders are what, 19 or 20, and "long ago" was last year.
Well I know an elder who's been playing out in the real world, probably since before you were born (judging from the mentality of your post). He's been gigging since the early 60's, can probably play circles around many of the people in these forums on his worst day, he's owned and owns, Gibsons, American made Fenders, and the one he plays the most, at home and every week when he plays out is a Squier.
I own one of these Dillions, and a number of other guitars you and your "elders" would no doubt disapprove of, and I have also owned and own Gibsons and Fenders. I play what gives me the sound I want and plays the way I want, I don't play the headstock.

The most amazing part of this, is that this thread was clearly labeled, and also clear you do not like the guitars it was about (even though you probably never played one). Yet you took the time to come into this thread to bash them.
That is the true definition of a "forum weenie".

Smakutus

I have a Dillion Brian May sorta guitar that was built in Vietnam and while they had problems with guitars made over there, mine plays and sounds really cool. It came with Burns pickups and BM pickup switching system and the neck is smaller than a regular BM guitar so I like it better for half the price.

Jeff

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
My Dillion LP TV Junior plays great and stays in tune better than my Gibson Junior. The only thing I want to change is the pickup, to a Lollar P-90, and that's easy to do.

Some of you opinionated mopes who responded to this thread should look for greener pastures, i.e., guitar forums.

Trending Topics