dillion guitars?????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shadrock, May 27, 2008.

1. shadrock

shadrock Member

hey all.....have any of you played these guitars.

I am wondering if they are player guitars or just cool to look at.

In other words would you play one of these out side of your house in front of a crowd with the rest of your band counting on you?

lemme know

thanks.

best Aaron

http://www.dillionguitars.net/

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I have played some that very pretty decent, some that were pretty not-decent. I don't think any instrument.... as long as it stays in tune... is off limits to performance. Look at some of the stuff Lindley played. Not boutique by any stretch but sounds heavenly. Some of the Dillion Gibson copies are very nice as are the Mosrite inspired stuff. I had a Rickenbacker homage that had to weigh 25lbs and wouldn't stay in tune to save it life.

3. phantasm

phantasm Member

I tried a used Mosrite copy (since i can't afford a real Mosrite at all). I hated it, but maybe it was just because of the horribly set up Bigsby on it.
    I passed on it- it was $120 and i was looking to spend $350 on something used. I'm still looking for a great cheapo guitar.

4. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I had a goldtop with p90's. Cool guitar for the money. Cheap plastic nut and cheap saddles kept it from staying in tune. But the p90's were actaully very good and I've had lollars, fralins, and sd's.

5. Adams

Adams Member

Never played one but its all in the neck and fret work IMO. If you can level and crown them then just about any electric guitar can be a real keeper. I'll tell you this though. Anybody who charges over $1000 for a relic'ed guitar that looks like one of Dillions creations shouldnt be trusted too much. Its not a good idea at any time IMO . Theres are worse than most others I've got a gander at.

6. Timmo

Timmo Member

I had one of the Dillion's early PRS copies and danged if that guitar didn't sound too bad.
    It had great sustain and it refused to go out of tune. The buckers had some guts to them as well.

I do remember talking to someone about it a year later and the neck had twisted badly on it.

7. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I have one of their Vietnam made Brian May guitars with real Burns pickups in it. It's a good sounding and playing guitar. I'd play out with it without any problem at all.

Jeff

8. iowa

iowa Supporting Member

In the same price range you might want to look at a Xaviere from GFS. I have an XV-700 (LP/Zemaitis copy) and I am really impressed with the value. Sounds good, feels good and they are really reasonable.

9. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

I own one of their PRS style guitars - the DR1500QT. This is the better one of their two PRS style models. I did a fair amount of research on PRS copies before I settled on this one. It had the right features and seemed like the best bang for the buck. It's a 24-fretter with two-point tremelo. Build quality is good -- there a couple of minor paint imperfections, but nothing major. All-in-all, I've been happy with it, but since I'm pretty much a 22-fret strat guy, I doubt I'll be keeping it.

Incidentally, there is something very weird going on with the Dillion name: There are two different importers: one in Canada and one in the U.S., and they have absolutely no connection. In fact, they have bashed each other in the forums. Apparently, the guitars are built in separate factories, they have different models, different build quality, etc. So essentially, there are two independent lines of guitars that both say Dillion on the headstock. Strange situation...

Cheers,
    Bert

10. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I have their Les Paul TV Junior knockoff and after having owned many vintage Juniors and now a newish Gibson Billie Joe Junior, I can say that the Dillion plays as well as any of them. It stays in tune, which for me, is a godsend. I may replace the P-90 with a Lollar, but otherwise, the guitar plays great.

11. JSD

JSD Member

Strange indeed but your info is a little off. The no connection part is not exactly true. Dillion guitars started here in Canada back around '95/96, the Canadian supplier is the originator of Dillion guitars and around '99 he brought on the US distributor. They were very connected as Dillion Canada was responsible for all the early Dillions and most of the "real" Korean made models for the US produced in the 2000s. I won't get into the details but after a lot of BS and deceit from the US side, in early 2007 they split and Dillion Canada no longer supplies Dillion US with any guitars and they have no use of our Korean factory.

12. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

JSD: Just for clarification, you are the primary (only?) source for Dillion Canada -- is that correct?

From your description, it sounds like my characterization is pretty much correct with regards to the current situation. And lest it appear otherwise, I have no opinions about the relative quality of the two competing Dillions. All I know is that my Dillion is a nice guitar.

Cheers,
    Bert

13. JSD

JSD Member

No, I'm not the only source but maybe one of the only ones who work closely with Dillion Canada and who are authorized to sell online.

14. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

JSD...How is the quality of the Canadian Dillion white SG copy? Are they Chinese? How do they play and sound? I have been looking at those on Ebay lately and of course, you can't tell anything about the quality from the little photos.