1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dimarzio 36 Anniversary paf’s

Discussion in 'The Gear Reviews' started by MCG, Oct 17, 2016.

1. MCG

MCG Member

I upgraded the Gibson 490 pickups in my SG Standard with Dimarzio 36 Anniversary paf’s and am so impressed with them that I wanted to share. They are fantastic! And for the price a f*#$ing bargan!

I had had them in my SG for a week but really got a chance to hear them at a decent level this past Saturday at rehearsal. First of all they sound just as good and authentic and any paf replica I have heard. Plugging into my Catalinbread DLS and Traynor Bassmaster the tones I was hearing reminded me easily of Cream, ZZ Top, and AC/DC. I even found myself dialing the gain down a touch lower than usual on my pedal. So these pickups sound fantastic! Warm and clear. Not too biting on the bridge or too woffy on the neck. But the great thing that really impressed me was the Anniversary’s sensitivity to picking dynamics. They really responded to every little nuance. All I had to do was lighten up the grip on my pick and the Dimarzios would respond and lighten up in a very pleasing noticeable way. Hit the strings harder and they pushed harder! I was really surprised how responsive the Anniversaries are! I realize that there are a lot of great winders making paf style humbuckers with these qualities. But they usually coast twice as much as the 36 Anniversaries do. So the next time I am looking for a paf style humbucker these are going to be my first choice. Really pleased!

MCG

TubeStack likes this.
  2. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Yep, I have a set in my SG and my Les Paul.
    The bridge is crunchy with a nice "bite".
    The neck is clear without ever getting "boomy". Just an all around great set up PAF style PUs at a great price.

TubeStack likes this.
  3. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I'm looking to replace the 490s in my SG Faded... sounds like these would be worth a try!

4. MCG

MCG Member

Absolutely! They brought my SG to life!
    MCG

5. Sunnyevan

Sunnyevan Member

My favorite neck. I found the Bridge to be a little brittle. But still nonetheless, for the price a great bargain. However, the neck can't be beat! Warm and clear.

voxworld likes this.
  6. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

I have a pair of them in a 2012 LP Custom.
    I am a pickup hound. That is the 3rd set of PU's in that guitar.
    I think they are wonderful. I have them setup for coil tap and they do that pretty well too.
    but as humbuckers The excell and I was able to find a pair of gold ones used but in new condition. for $100 what a steal.
    I have also replaced some of my fralins and other things in my teles with their area T series, I couldn't be happier.

7. Jerry

Jerry Supporting Member

I have a pair in a Heritage 535 and they are sounding good in that guitar. I also put Dimarzio 500K long shaft pots in there as they have a very low turning resistance when doing volume changes.

8. kushman

kushman Member

I have one in the neck spot of my Charvel Tele, great sounding pickup and works so well with the Super Distortion in the Bridge

9. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

Replaced a set of stock Carvins in a very nice CT3 I had a few years back. Already a great-sounding guitar, the 36th Anns put it through the roof. I was forced to sell it but wish i had it back! So I agree - great pickups at a great price! Guitar got set up to do some coil switching, something else they do well IMO.

Darth Weller likes this.