• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Dimarzio 36th anniv. PAF's.....glowing reviews...can anyone confirm?

jimmyohio75

I am very close to buying a set of these to throw in my new Blacktop Jaguar. Most of the reviews I have seen on these are overwhelmingly positive. I need some more confirmation before I order these. Do you guys like them?

Steeltoe

Silver Supporting Member
I have a set in my PRS Singlecut. Swapped out the #7s on a whim, and now I'm happier that a puppy w/two peters!
I've yet to read a negative review of the 36s.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I have a set in my PRS Singlecut. Swapped out the #7s on a whim, and now I'm happier that a puppy w/two peters!
I've yet to read a negative review of the 36s.
Can you give details of the difference, why did you like it better?

Thanks.

DWB1960

Have one in the neck position of a McInturff Glory. Love it.

Bridge is a Norton (not Air Norton). Great pairing. Dude from Dimarzio recommended it for the guitar seeing as someone at Dimarzio has the same axe and tried just about everything in it and settled on the Norton/35 combo.

bartmcartman

Gold Supporting Member
I have a set in a blacktop strat. They sound great and split well. They have just enough output to cover pretty much anything.

jimmyohio75

Have one in the neck position of a McInturff Glory. Love it.

Bridge is a Norton (not Air Norton). Great pairing. Dude from Dimarzio recommended it for the guitar seeing as someone at Dimarzio has the same axe and tried just about everything in it and settled on the Norton/35 combo.
Is the 36 bridge pickup not a good match with the 36 neck? What didn't you lijke about the bridge?

DWB1960

Is the 36 bridge pickup not a good match with the 36 neck? What didn't you lijke about the bridge?
Didn't even try one in the bridge. I went with what the guy from Dimarzio suggested since he'd already tried all kinds of different combos in the same model of guitar as mine.

SBLP

One in the neck of my Epi LP Custom. Along with a few other mods, that guitar KILLS the 78 million dollar 59 reissue from Gibson and every other LP, copy, handmade, home project or whatever it's been up against.

The PAF 36's are the **** if you want vintage balls tone with amazing warmth and clarity in the cleans. In other words, they're modelled after Larry DiMarzio's own personal original 59 "Holy Grail" Les Paul. I mean, if "Holy Grail Tone" doesn't do it for ya, maybe try the tuba or something.

Seriously, they ARE that good.

Rick360

Howdy,

I've got a 36th PAF in the bridge of my ES-335. It's paired with an Air Classic in the neck, btw. The 36th PAF bridge is fairly high output for a "vintage voiced" P/U. It's middy and reminds me in some ways of a good vintage P-90. A touch-sensitive combination, these two.
There's nothing thin sounding about the 36th bridge. Used in conjunction with the neck Air Classic, I've got all I want with respect to clean tones and Keith Richards type raunch through my Carmen Ghia. By itself, the 36th is completely nasty at higher volumes when plugged straight into my old Vibro Champ or Carmen Ghia. It sure beats the SD '59, which was too bright. Good luck.

RedTiger

I'm thinking about buying a set of these. I like how DiMarzio set out with a particular guitar and a particular set of PAFs in mind rather than just a generic PAF. I also like how they used technology to get the sound they were looking for rather than simply trying to build a 1 for 1 copy of a 60 year old pickup.

I also like how since they are made by DiMarzio, economies of scale allow a set of these not to end up costing you $400. :idea

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I like how DiMarzio set out with a particular guitar and a particular set of PAFs in mind rather than just a generic PAF.
They seemed to do the same thing with the AT-1, a 36th Anni designed for strat scale ... great path for when the 36th is too bright for a particular guitar.

dynac0mp

I have a set in a blacktop strat. They sound great and split well. They have just enough output to cover pretty much anything.
Great to hear! I'm a fan of the Dimarzio 36th PAF and I also love the Blacktop Strat... just think that the stock pickups are a tad dark and lack a bit of string separation. They're not terrible, but I hear better things from this guitar.

bynapkinart

I put them in a 335 copy a while back and loved the tone I was getting out of them. Can't go wrong with DiMarzio, I have a pair of vintage DiMarzio PAFs in my Hamer and they get that late 50s PAF tone perfectly.

Trending Topics