DiMarzio 36th Anniv. PAF's - Honeymoon Praise

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by freaksho, Feb 23, 2009.

1. freaksho

freaksho Supporting Member

finally got a set in my LP after months of talking & asking about 'em, backorders, etc.

so far these appear to be a great replacement for the stock 498/490. more open, articulate, balanced and sweet - just like everyone said they'd be. yes, obviously a little less gain but so far i haven't missed it at all. i'm not a modern metal player but i do like hard rock and vintage heavy tones. these seem to fit the bill and the budget nicely. i haven't tried them with a band yet so have yet to see what they'll do at higher volumes, but i expect good things.

thanks to all for the advice.

2. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Nice. I've been thinking about getting some of these. I really like the video that DiMarzio has on youtube that actually compare these pickups with a 59 Les Paul with stock pickups. For the money they are worth a shot.

3. BigViolin

BigViolin Member

How would you describe the highs/treble? Are you rolling off much with the tone controls? These sound like great pups but haven't heard much first hand commenting. Thanks!

4. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

I've got one in my strat, I love it...clear, open, articulate, and smooth.

5. freaksho

well, believe it or not i'd say the high end on these is really about perfect for me - no issues. i usually keep the tone controls full up, except for smooth & creamy lead tone or clean jazzy tone on the neck pup.

worth mentioning that my amp is a bit on the mumbly and darker side (Shiva) so i was wanting the new pups to be brighter. and they are, but not too much. but bright enough that i don't have to keep the treble, mids and presence knobs so high anymore.

6. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

they are more smooth than bright.. nice and punchy/tight lows.. really great pups clean and driven

7. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I was just thinking about these. Are they close to classic 57, or BB3 in output???

8. freaksho

i don't know. haven't tried either of those. less output than the 498/490 set is all i can say, but that's pretty obvious.