Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF Pickups!

BluePowder

Hi folks.

Upon checking out videos on Burst 59 Les Pauls on youtube. I stumbled a few gems worth checking out.

A clip from a documentary on 59 Bursts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzRxNS4jdc4

A short video describing Larry Dimarzio's 59 Burst...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7IlR53ca9M&feature=related

Most interesting is this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s2n4dUVf_Q

According to the video, Dimarzio is launching a 36th Anniversary pickup which is a very detailed reproduction of the PAF pickups found in Larry Dimarzio's Burst.

http://www.dimarzio.com/magazine/products/PAF_30th/

Has anyone heard about these so far?

I would love to check them out!

Pete Galati

Hah!

I imagine they'll do a good job. The DiMarzio PAFs that came in my '79 Hamer are actually very good pickups.

I've heard that their new Virtual PAFs are pretty respectable, but I haven't gotten a chance to try them.

rooster

DiMarzio was always good stuff. For some reason, SD took most of the market, but they are definitely 2 different sounds. I always thought DiMarzio's PAF and PAF Pro were good pickups, and then Duncan had the Seth Lovers. Both respectable offerings from good companies. Having said this, I'm a Bill Lawrence guy myself, but if you aren't getting what you need out of your pickups, DiMarzio is always a good alternative.

Plus, they still make the guitar knobs that go to 11, indispensable on all my guitars. I really do need that extra 1 for leads.

rooster.

Pete Galati

DiMarzio was always good stuff. For some reason, SD took most of the market, but they are definitely 2 different sounds. I always thought DiMarzio's PAF and PAF Pro were good pickups, and then Duncan had the Seth Lovers. Both respectable offerings from good companies. Having said this, I'm a Bill Lawrence guy myself, but if you aren't getting what you need out of your pickups, DiMarzio is always a good alternative.

Plus, they still make the guitar knobs that go to 11, indispensable on all my guitars. I really do need that extra 1 for leads.

rooster.

I think Seymour and Larry always had a different opinion about what sounds are ideal. As a generalization, I think Duncans tend to have more clarity. But I think DiMarzios sacrifice clarity for tone.

I imagine that both companies have other designers behind a lot of the pickups by now, but I think they both started out as really small operations. I still have the ditto sheet that was included as instructions for my 1st DiMarzio pickup.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
For kicks, here's my '76 Super Distortion HB.

128105515.jpg

128105522.jpg

gtrfinder

Silver Supporting Member
Who celebrates a 36th Anniversary?
Am I missing some significance to this number?
Why not wait a couple of years and do a 40th Anniversary?
Just seems strange

Speed_Racer71

pickups on my to do list

Norton
Virtual paf / neck
mo joe
paf joe

that should do me for starters. already like the paf pro and yep i like the tone zone (flame suit on)

Pete Galati

For kicks, here's my '76 Super Distortion HB.

128105515.jpg

128105522.jpg

I have a Super 2 pickup that I bought sometime in the '70s, and it has that style of braided pickup cable.

The Super Distortion that I bought in the early '90s, I was still able to get it with a 2-conductor cable, but they switched to a foil shield.

The baseplate on DiMarzio pickups changed since the '70s too. The ears are no longer square like with Gibson and Duncan pickups.

They look like this now:

369467.jpg

Just seems strange

Doesn't make sense, does it?

Maybe they're just kicking themselves for not thinking of it for the 35th year.

M

Monroe

I had a PAF and a Super Dist that I bought new in 77... ran them in my Paul for a good while. The PAF was really a nice pickup, although it was pretty hot by today's standards.

giannifive

pickups on my to do list

Norton
Virtual paf / neck
mo joe
paf joe

that should do me for starters. already like the paf pro and yep i like the tone zone (flame suit on)
The Norton is a killer pickup. It's got the best qualities of the Tone Zone and Fred in one pickup.

Steeltoe

Silver Supporting Member
I ordered a pair of new for '08 Dimarzio PAF DP102's,
one double cream, the other black/cream zebra.
They will be going in my goldtop PRS Singlecut, replacing the stock #7's. I hope they sound great.
I have one of his Area T's in a tele, and I like it a lot.
It has tone and clarity, in spades.

Blue4Now

Gold Supporting Member
I may be just me but the Tone Zone is a killer pickup. In the bridge of my strat it is chimey and bright clean and fat and warm with medium gain for blues.

HarryJ

Thx guitar tone :)

It is actually Steve Blucher who is the master-mind behind all of the new cool pup's from Dimarzio. Talk about ears!

Ton's of Dimarzio demos/tunes on my site, also did quite a few on the Dimarzio site

Harry Jacobson
www.harryj.net

i have a pair of Virtual PAF's in my PRS, and i've got a telecaster with a Duncan '59 in the neck. i'd love to see how these compare.

Crikey

Just seems strange

While it might be the 36th anniversary of DiMarzio as a pickup maker, the PAF itself is about 50 years old now. Was it 1957, or 1958? To a pickup geek, that might be reason enough to do a new take on the PAF.

Crikey

Trending Topics

Top Bottom