1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF Pickups!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BluePowder, Feb 19, 2008.

1. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Hi folks.

Upon checking out videos on Burst 59 Les Pauls on youtube. I stumbled a few gems worth checking out.

A clip from a documentary on 59 Bursts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzRxNS4jdc4

A short video describing Larry Dimarzio's 59 Burst...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7IlR53ca9M&feature=related

Most interesting is this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s2n4dUVf_Q

According to the video, Dimarzio is launching a 36th Anniversary pickup which is a very detailed reproduction of the PAF pickups found in Larry Dimarzio's Burst.

http://www.dimarzio.com/magazine/products/PAF_30th/

Has anyone heard about these so far?

I would love to check them out!

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Hah!

I imagine they'll do a good job. The DiMarzio PAFs that came in my '79 Hamer are actually very good pickups.

I've heard that their new Virtual PAFs are pretty respectable, but I haven't gotten a chance to try them.

3. rooster

rooster Member

DiMarzio was always good stuff. For some reason, SD took most of the market, but they are definitely 2 different sounds. I always thought DiMarzio's PAF and PAF Pro were good pickups, and then Duncan had the Seth Lovers. Both respectable offerings from good companies. Having said this, I'm a Bill Lawrence guy myself, but if you aren't getting what you need out of your pickups, DiMarzio is always a good alternative.

Plus, they still make the guitar knobs that go to 11, indispensable on all my guitars. I really do need that extra 1 for leads.

rooster.

4. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I think Seymour and Larry always had a different opinion about what sounds are ideal. As a generalization, I think Duncans tend to have more clarity. But I think DiMarzios sacrifice clarity for tone.

I imagine that both companies have other designers behind a lot of the pickups by now, but I think they both started out as really small operations. I still have the ditto sheet that was included as instructions for my 1st DiMarzio pickup.

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

For kicks, here's my '76 Super Distortion HB.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Who celebrates a 36th Anniversary?
    Am I missing some significance to this number?
    Why not wait a couple of years and do a 40th Anniversary?
    Just seems strange

7. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

pickups on my to do list

Norton
    Virtual paf / neck
    mo joe
    paf joe

that should do me for starters. already like the paf pro and yep i like the tone zone (flame suit on)

8. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I have a Super 2 pickup that I bought sometime in the '70s, and it has that style of braided pickup cable.

The Super Distortion that I bought in the early '90s, I was still able to get it with a 2-conductor cable, but they switched to a foil shield.

The baseplate on DiMarzio pickups changed since the '70s too. The ears are no longer square like with Gibson and Duncan pickups.

They look like this now:

[​IMG]

Doesn't make sense, does it?

Maybe they're just kicking themselves for not thinking of it for the 35th year.

9. Monroe

Monroe Guest

I had a PAF and a Super Dist that I bought new in 77... ran them in my Paul for a good while. The PAF was really a nice pickup, although it was pretty hot by today's standards.

10. giannifive

giannifive Member

The Norton is a killer pickup. It's got the best qualities of the Tone Zone and Fred in one pickup.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

I ordered a pair of new for '08 Dimarzio PAF DP102's,
    one double cream, the other black/cream zebra.
    They will be going in my goldtop PRS Singlecut, replacing the stock #7's. I hope they sound great.
    I have one of his Area T's in a tele, and I like it a lot.
    It has tone and clarity, in spades.

12. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

thanks for the info. i hardly ever see anything on it, but on paper its looks like a great pickup

13. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Anyone tried these yet?

-Mark

14. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I may be just me but the Tone Zone is a killer pickup. In the bridge of my strat it is chimey and bright clean and fat and warm with medium gain for blues.

15. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

link?

16. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I want some of these. Props to Dimarzio for making great pickups without jacking up their prices.

17. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Thx guitar tone :)

It is actually Steve Blucher who is the master-mind behind all of the new cool pup's from Dimarzio. Talk about ears!

Ton's of Dimarzio demos/tunes on my site, also did quite a few on the Dimarzio site

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

18. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

i have a pair of Virtual PAF's in my PRS, and i've got a telecaster with a Duncan '59 in the neck. i'd love to see how these compare.

19. Crikey

Crikey Member

While it might be the 36th anniversary of DiMarzio as a pickup maker, the PAF itself is about 50 years old now. Was it 1957, or 1958? To a pickup geek, that might be reason enough to do a new take on the PAF.

Crikey

20. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I quite like the stock Dimarzio PAF's in my 82 Tokai LS100.