DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF - Tyler Humbucker Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pcauchi, Feb 13, 2012.

1. pcauchi

pcauchi Member

I just bought a used Tyler Studio Elite. My God do I love this guitar, but more on that in another post...

Anyway, it currently has a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF in the bridge and the gentleman I bought the guitar from included a Tyler Supercharged Studebaker along with the sale. I was wondering if anyone out there had any experiences with both pickups and could elaborate on how they compare. It has Alnico II Hot Laura singles in there just for reference. Anyone ever try the Supercharged Stud. and the Hot Laura Alinco II singles? How do they sound together?

I would love it to have all Tyler pickups in there for the total Tyler Experience. I should probably just try it, but wondering if anyone has tried this combo. The build sheet actually says it originally had a Secret in the Bridge so I may need to try one of those in the future anyway...

PS: To anyone who has never played a Tyler, they live up to the hype. Unreal instrument! I will write a detailed review when I get a chance...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. pcauchi

pcauchi Member

For future reference, and for anyone else who may be interested in the supercharged studebaker pickup, it seems that it is definitely hotter than the Dimarzio PAF (as expected), and has more of a hi-fi sparkle. More modern sounding overall. Goes nicely with the Hot Laura singles and the unique Tyler body wood used on my Studio Elite. Very cool, unique pickup set up.

I figure the studio elite and a vintage style strat will cover most basis for myself. Maybe add a nice mahogany single cut or sg and I'll have it all with 3 instruments!

3. edgie

edgie Member

The Supercharged Studebaker is what I have in the bridge position of my Tyler BW. It is a fat-sounding pickup pretty much like how a great Les paul tone(70s-80s) would sound. It'll be at home with blues, blues rock, and even EVH and 80's hair band sounds applications. Even with high gain it doesn't get muddy and has a balanced clean tone. Just like how they describe it in Wildwood, I would agree it has moderate compression which I think is a very nice thing to have for the bridge position. I have mine with a nickel cover so I think that also contributes to its roundness.

I haven't tried the Dimarzio 36th annivs, but I managed to compare the SS to a friend's Tyler with a Secret in the bridge. The Secret has a response of a humbucker with the detail and articulation of a great single coil. It has less mids than the SS so it's less fat and less vintage sounding.

4. G3sal

G3sal Supporting Member

Try a Suhr SSV+ humbucker in the bridge. I have a Tyler Burning Water and put that bucker and Landau single coils in it. Sounds GOOD.

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

I have the 36th (but now on my bench) and just sold the standard Studebaker (not supercharged). Certainly the Studebaker is on the very high output PAF scale, the 36th is on the low wind end. The supercharged will be even hotter.

I didn't like the Studebaker because I felt it was too high output for a PAF type. Compared to the Suhr SSV (not the +), the SSV had much better control and crunch IMHO, at 9k ohms vs the Studebakers 10k ohms. Having too hot PAFs is like losing charm of the PAF and not getting the cool harmonics of the super distortion types ... like the AT-1 or Tone Zone. I recommend the SSV for mid to high gain and anything EVHish, but it will not do lower gain as well as the lower winds IMHO, but still good.

I'm going to give the 36th another chance in a light weight guitar, it is very bright. I really like the Voodoo 57/59s best for lower output humbuckers and lower gain playing, the 36ths will be up against them in my shoot out. The Voodoos have thick and clear bass, and can do high gain okay if dialed in correctly. The 36th lose their teeth with high gain IMHO, maybe too smooth.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  6. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I think I might be one of the only people with a Shark in the bridge position, no one ever talks about it.

7. just_one_more

just_one_more Member

Just want to politely correct something I see on the page, and is in a post above.
    Pickups are not 9 ohms or 10 ohms if they are working correctly. In the example above they are more then likely are in the 9,000 ohm range (9 kilo-ohms or 9K ohms) not 9 ohms.
    If a pickup is reading 9 ohms then there is a short someplace or the range select/indicator on the meter is being overlooked.

8. gulliver

gulliver Member

Whoops, sorry, typo ... edited to 9K and 10K.

Also, the Bridge 36th are much hotter than I thought, 8.6K, they really aren't a low wind at that. Originally, I think I was looking at the neck specs.

9. pass it

pass it Member

I have a bridge position shark too. JT pickups rock.