Dimarzio 36th Anniversary Pafs.... in a Strat

blues junkie

Gold Supporting Member
So I like everything about a Strat... Except for the single coils.:bonk I was thinking of putting some Humbuckers in my strat and have decided to go with Dimarzio 36th anni. pafs. I was wondering if anyone has those in a strat and how do you like them?

Also I'm getting ready to spec out all the parts I need and was wondering where to get a Humbucker pickguard? Also should I stay with the 250k pots or should I change those out to 500k? My strat is an Alder body with rosewood fret board.

Also is there anything else I would need for this swap? I allready have talked to my tech about routing it out to accomadate humbuckers.

Thanks.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Stock strat wiring only has a 250k volume control on the bridge PU, so it's the same as having 500k volume + 500k tone, as on a Les Paul.

In the end, I'd try what you have first ... removing and adding tone pots is easy and can give you a good idea of the load.

I'm more interested in learning what the tone will be like as compared to a Les Paul type with the same pickup.

Jim S

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a pair in a strat with alder body and maple neck.

I don't know what to say except they sound fine and are nice with clean, crunch, and high gain settings. The split fairly well too.

Loobster

I might be putting them in a Tele soon, I'll let you know what that sounds like. I'm expecting great things.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Not a Strat but I have a set in my Warmoth Tele.
They sound great. I have them set up for coil splitting also.
I think I like the neck better with the coil split.

WT1.jpg

2HBStrat

I have a set of real Gibson PAF's (from a '61 SG) in a Strat....does that count?

Warmoth makes some nice humbucker Strat pickguards, and in a lot of colors, too!

Medgeking

I have an HSS light swamp ash strat (Warmoth/USACG built) with a 36th PAF in the bridge and it sounds freakin' fantastic. I generally don't like humbuckers. They always sound a bit muffled and too "big" somehow. The PAF 36th is definitely a humbucker sounding pickup, but it's great on clean sounds and matches up well with single coils.

I feel like this guitar is able to do all the super strat sounds I've ever wanted. I have two other strats with all singles though which get a lot more action mainly because I love the classic strat sound ;)

johnfv

I have a Warmoth build (maple ove mahogany body, maple/rosewood neck) with one in the bridge. I only recently put it in there but liking it quite a bit so far.

EADGBE

If you do it let us know how you like it, OK? I'm thinking it should sound pretty good.

Hoodster

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the responses.

Anyone recommend a good vendor who sells prewired guards with this config?

Gear.Pig

formerly TattooedCarrot
Silver Supporting Member
I had them in an ash TeleGib. Liked the tone quite a bit, but the bridge was a little toppy so I had to keep the tone rolled off to about 8 to tame the highs. I've since put WCR Godwood/Crossroads in it with A2 mags and coil taps (tapped, not split). I thought the neck pup on the 36th was especially good.

022.jpg

Top Bottom