Dimarzio Area '58 - Pickup Height?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by doveman, Jun 7, 2008.

1. doveman

doveman Member

I still have not received my '61 bridge but have installed the two '58s in the neck and middle of my G&L Legacy.

The "zing" that many have mentioned is there but they do sound pretty good. One thing that I've noticed while playing around with these pickups is that they seem to become more vintage sounding and lose a little of the zing if you drop the pups height a bit lower.

Anybody have a similar experience or am I just hearing things. I'd actually like to run them a bit higher to match the output of my other guitars but the tone is what's most important. Of course, I won't really know anything until I can blend it with the '61 bridge ... once received and installed.

2. landru64

landru64 Member

i have experienced the same thing... with all of the virtual vintage pickups. i set them up like i would regular strat pickups--treble side a bit closer than bass side. mine are treating me well in my sadowsky strat (58s all the way thru)

3. Al Nico

Al Nico Member

I have my Area T neck and Virtual Hot T set up like vintage pups as well, except I actually have the treble side of the neck pup a bit lower to get a more even string response, and to get rid of some of the "zing."

4. doveman

doveman Member

thanks ... good info ...