DiMarzio Area 61 vs. Lindy Fralin P92 for Jazzy Strat tones?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Griz, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Griz

Griz Member

I'm converting an average sounding '91 Strat into a (hopefully) really wonderful sounding guitar.

But I'm not trying to get vintage Strat tones, necessarily. Looking for a more full-bodied sound, but retaining clarity and detail. I'm going for a jazz-voiced Strat, if that makes sense.

So far, likely pickup possibilities include DiMarzio Area pickups, probably Area 61's. The other main interesting possibility would be Lindy Fralin P92's.

I've heard a small amount of clippage of each kind. Which way would you go if it was your choice, and why?

TIA for your esteemed opinions...

:D

BTW the P92 option would not require any alterations to the '91 Strat's body; that series has the "bathtub" (swimming pool?) routed body.

2. Griz

Griz Member

(crickets)

:confused:

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

neither one of those spring to mind when you say "jazz", and anyway, the p-92 would involve routing the thing out for full-size humbuckers, at which point you might as well get actual humbuckers, which would be good for jazz.

a duncan little '59 might do a passable jazz bucker tone without the routing.

4. Griz

Griz Member

Actually, humbuckers can go in without any routing; it's got the huge "bath tub" rout characteristic of the 80's American Standard series. It's a big rectangular space; lots of room for HB pups.

"you might as well get actual humbuckers, which would be good for jazz."

Well yes, some HB's are great jazz pups. The thing that's nice about the P92's is their clarity; they are actually humbuckers, just very articulate.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

sure, the body's got the swimming pool but the pickguard would obviously need to be routed or replaced.
    the p-92's sound like a "polite" p-90, and would likely get suitably jazzy with the tone rolled off. the area 61's are going to behave pretty darn close to the same as regular strat pickups.

i think a really nice low-wind PAF-type humbucker set would do the trick, as it would come closer to sounding like the buckers on all those jazz boxes, but the inherent "clarity" that comes from a bolt-on, maple neck 25 1/2" scale steel trem-block guitar would balance that out a little.

6. Griz

Griz Member

Yes, the whole balance thing will be one of the more interesting aspects of this project. I'm hoping to work a nice balance among all the inherent tonal characteristics imparted by body and neck woods, tremolo bridge, scale length, pickup selection, etc.

Replacing the pickguard would be a given, as you suggest, if going to HB sized pups. I wouldn't carve up the original guard, which is nicely yellowing with age.

Thanks for your thoughts on the HB's. Any particular low-wind PAF styles that come to mind?