DiMarzio Area '67 Straight Across

donbarzini

Silver Supporting Member
Just wondering if anyone is running all three Area '67's in their Strat? Just wondering if with this set-up if 2 & 4 will still deliver the quack. The '67 seems really open sounding to me compared to the '61 & '58, I'm thinking of trying three of them in another Strat.

dumbell78

I would like to hear some opinions as well. I just bought two 67's to put in at the neck and middle positions. Ive decided to go with the Virtual solo at the bridge.

donbarzini

Silver Supporting Member
Well, I just did it and they are not coming out. I just love the way three Area '67's work together. This pickup probably has the most realistic feel of any noiseless strat pickups I tried. Very similar to the Fender Custom Shop '69's I used with the Suhr Back Plate, I'll take this set-up over that one.

dumbell78

Thats great news, Im anxious to try this set up. I really like them in the neck and middle just was worried about the 67 in the bridge. I might pickup another 67 and give it a shot.

Well, I just did it and they are not coming out. I just love the way three Area '67's work together. This pickup probably has the most realistic feel of any noiseless strat pickups I tried. Very similar to the Fender Custom Shop '69's I used with the Suhr Back Plate, I'll take this set-up over that one.

Crow

Silver Supporting Member
Great to hear they are working for your. I'm interested in a set of the 67's as well.

Did you keep 250K pots all around?

robertkoa

Since I don't know the CS 69s , how do these compare to a set of EJ( the one that come with the guitar) Pickups or Texas Specials.

Are they fatter than the singles that come in the American Standard Strats ?

texasdave

I would like to hear some opinions as well. I just bought two 67's to put in at the neck and middle positions. Ive decided to go with the Virtual solo at the bridge.
Did you try this setup? You guys have me very encouraged about the 67s... I've been testing a 58/58/61 set but 67/67/solo sounds interesting to me.....

dumbell78

Guitar is at the techs to install the 67's and solo. I should have it back in about 1-2 weeks. Ill keep you guys posted!

Did you try this setup? You guys have me very encouraged about the 67s... I've been testing a 58/58/61 set but 67/67/solo sounds interesting to me.....

texasdave

Excellent... I'm really interested in how the solo and the 54 work out in the bridge... I'm running a set of Rio Grande Halfbreed/Halfbreed/Muy Grande and I love that extra kick from the bridge, but I've got an environment that really pushes me to put a noiseless set in a Strat if I don't want to pull my hair out. The 58/58/61 is nice but you guys have me really curious to hear a 67.

Thanks and I'll stay tuned.

afterburner

Silver Supporting Member
Dimarzio website says Paul Gilbert uses all 67s in his Fireman guitar. Saw him live plugged into a Marshall VM. Sounded really good. Articulate and singing tones.

thetangmang

So I just got it installed and I haven't had time to thoroughly test them, but first impressions of a 67/61/54 pro set...AMAZING!

I LOVED my AVRI 62 stock pickups. It was just the noise that killed me because my current rental home has the worst electrical wiring. Now, it's completely noiseless even in my gain channel with all my OD's cooking. The 67 neck is much more defined than the 57/62 stock and still smooth when picked soft and rings the way I like it to when picked hard. The 61 mid is EXACTLY what I wanted in a mid. It's fat, super clear, dynamic and the output is fantastic, great for solos. The 54 is actually much brighter than the stock 57/62's and when clean, it doesn't sound very good because of the icepickness (I don't have my tone knob wired to the bridge). However, when I turn on the gain channel or turn on an OD, it cuts through so musically.

All in all, this AVRI is much more alive with Dimarzio Area's in it. My dream guitar is now playing better than I could have dreamt. I may install a Callaham bridge in later, but as of right now, this thing is perfect. It plays wonderfully and is such a fun ride.

wrightdude

Guitar is at the techs to install the 67's and solo. I should have it back in about 1-2 weeks. Ill keep you guys posted!
I have a solo, a 61, a 54 pro, and a couple VV-blues.... and like them all in various configurations... havent tried the 67's but would be curious if they work well w/a solo at the bridge?

texasdave

Do you need me to call the shop or something? :D :D

I'm about this >< close to just ordering the 67/67/solo and if I don't love the solo in the bridge THEN replacing it with a 67 or something... would sure be fun to get it right the first time...

Good luck!

rawkguitarist

An interesting point of view here. I have a Koll Tornado with an Area 67 in the middle of two Virtual P90's. I know it's not exactly what you're curious about, but I get killer quacky strat style tones with this guitar. I had Saul wire the outside coils in the Virtual P90's to the 67 of to give more of the single coil illusion combos in positions 2 & 4.

The Dimarzio Area pickups and even Virtual Vintage series are simply amazing pickups for those that need single coil tone without the noise.

PS. Yes, Paul Gilbert uses a trio of 67's in his Korina Fireman. If the price tag on one of those Fireman's wasn't more than my ground-up-custom Kolls... I might get one. A very cool guitar.

dumbell78

LOL, to be honest its not all their fault. I did end up switching bodies on them in the middle, so Im sure I delayed it just as much. I honestly dont think I will not like this combo!!

Do you need me to call the shop or something? :D :D

I'm about this >< close to just ordering the 67/67/solo and if I don't love the solo in the bridge THEN replacing it with a 67 or something... would sure be fun to get it right the first time...

Good luck!

dumbell78

Hi Dave,

Just wanted to revive this thread. I just got the guitar back and will need some more time with it. I just wanted to let you know that the 67's are working out very nice so far, very authentic sounding. The bridge is also killer, I can dial down the tone pot to around 6 or 7 and it just rips. Ill have a more detailed review soon. Also plenty of quack in those 2 and 4 positions. Talk soon!!

Dying to know how this setup worked out........ :bow

Trending Topics