• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Dimarzio Area Hot T pickup

mims2

I am needing a good versatile pickup for my Telecaster and have been interested in this model. I play in a cover band doing ALL styles of rock from the 60's up. Mostly a lot of top 40 stuff. I need more gain than my stock pickups. I see these are noiseless. Do they have convincing single coil sound? How do they sound clean and overdriven? Thanks in advance!

1973Marshall

Never used it, but I had a virtual Hot T and it was killer. Sounded like a Tele, but had a thickness, and rudeness that was killer, and it was dead silent

Al Nico

I didn't even know Dimarzio came out with an Area Hot T. The web description makes it sound like a cross between a PAF and P-90, whereas they make the Virtual Hot T sound like a cross between a Tele and P-90.

I can tell you the Virtual Hot T is pretty awsome. It can be thick and growly with the tone rolled back, but cleans up very nice with the volume knob - great match for the Area T neck, which I also have. It is more smooth sounding than a traditional telel bridge pickup, likely due to the Alnico 2 mags.

Al Nico

Here's Dimarzio's tech support response, re: diff between the Area Hot and Virtual Hot:

The main difference is on the plain strings, where the Area is
warmer-sounding.
So, if more convincing twangy cleans is important, I'd say the Virtual Hot would be better.

MrMunky

Gold Supporting Member
The Area Hot T appears to be brand new. None of the "usual suspect" internet retailers seem to have them in stock yet, although a few new ones are up on eBay.

I'm intrigued, and if one of the local shops happens to have one around, I may just bite.

Trending Topics