DiMarzio Area pickups users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Dec 27, 2009.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

What are you guys using for potentiometer values? I've been using 250K.

What tonal change would happen if I switched tp 500k?

Thanks!

edited for accuracy, thanks e

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

4 strats with Area 58,61,67, Solo Pro, Virtual Solo, Hs3 Hs2 and Yjm pups

I use 250k on the Volume pot and they sound great. I use 250k No Load pots for the tone pots to bring out the extra clarity.

Dimarzio recomends 500k as optional on certain models. Never tried it but I have read that it would be brighter ? How do they sound to you and do you need them brighter ?

3. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks man, that is what I needed to hear - I am keeping mine the way they are, I have all the brightness I need.

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

500's with my tele set. Not too bright, great clarity. But if you like the tone of the 250's you're good - no right or wrong.

5. elicious

elicious Member

DiMarzio does NOT recommend 500k pots for the Area pickups, they do recommend 250k, though. Check out the second sentence in the "Notes" section of this document for more information.

6. dkals

dkals Member

I ended up posing the question to DiMarzio tech assistance Friday night and got an answer back on Saturday. Impressive for a holiday weekend. Below is my question to DiMarzio and their reply.

(me)
    "This is in regards to a strat. I have an area 67 in the neck, an area 58 in the middle and I have a virtual solo on the way to me for the bridge."

"Is the virtual solo supposed to use a 500K tone pot instead of a 250K tone pot? Any idea what the sound differences would be between a 500K pot & a 250K for the bridge position?"

(DiMarzio)
    1) Control value is a matter of personal taste. 250K is perfectly OK with a Solo.

2) Higher potentiometer resistance values (regardless of pickup type) produce a little more power and treble response. If the sound of the Solo seems too dark with 250K, 500K should brighten the sound a little.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

dkals,

Let me know if the Solo is noisy compared to the 67 please - my favorite setup tonally was the 67/67/solo, but the solo was pretty noisy in my guitar/rig. I swapped it for a 61 that I like as well, and it is a little quieter, but not that much more than the solo.

8. dkals

dkals Member

Iv and I were discussing the use of area pickups in the neck & middle virtual pickups in the bridge. But that was in another thread and did not get carried over here. Some of the virtual pickups, DiMarzio recommends 500K pots.

9. Supa V

Supa V Member

I have virtual 54 Pro's on a strat guard wired by Rothstein Guitars - they used 300k pots. They sound good to me - but I couldn't tell you if it's better/worse that 250k or 500k

10. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Member

Hi, I have a 58/58/61 set up with a maple neck and when using a 250 I had a noticeable vol drop in the 2 and 4 position. I had the pickups installed by a very reputable shop. When I went to the 500 It made all the difference I needed. No volume drop and more clarity. I do recommend rolling back the vol knob and tone a little bit but the extra clarity compensates for this. BTW I didn't have the cap changed either per recommendation from DiMarzio.

11. jhuse

jhuse Member

I use 250s - all the brightness I need (58/58/61 - n/m/b). And actually, i have a push-pull 250 pot in place of T2, so i can get 7-way switching. The N/B combo has a nice bright bite to it.

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

steve blucher (who designed them) said 250k.

13. elicious

elicious Member

I'm satisfied using 250k pots in mine...I guess it's like Larry David says in that Woody Allen movie: "whatever works!" ;)