Dimarzio "Area" Pups ... a few questions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doveman, May 22, 2008.

1. doveman

doveman Member

I'm considering trying either the Area Ts on my Tele or Area 58-58-61 on my Strat. A couple of questions:

Are the pickups a bit taller? Does the extra coil add a bit of height? I could use a bit more height on my Legacy anyway (strings are further from the pickguard than Strat by design.

Has anyone split the pups with a single switch knocking out the hum cancelling? I've had good luck with a set of Seymour Duncan tele vintage noiseless ... a bit of a bump when in single coil mode that is a bit more original sounding when needed (but has noise) ... but with one click, totally noiseless and still really good.

Been considering a Virtual Vintage bridge instead of the '61 on the Strat ... I like a bit heavier bridge pickup (VV '54 or VV Blues for example). Anyone done this?

2. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Are the pickups a bit taller? Does the extra coil add a bit of height? I could use a bit more height on my Legacy anyway (strings are further from the pickguard than Strat by design. Yes they are a bit taller, but enough that it would prevent lowering the pickups as much as you would want.

Has anyone split the pups with a single switch knocking out the hum cancelling? I've had good luck with a set of Seymour Duncan tele vintage noiseless ... a bit of a bump when in single coil mode that is a bit more original sounding when needed (but has noise) ... but with one click, totally noiseless and still really good. I've never done that. They only have two lead wires from the pickups, so I'm not sure that's possible with Areas.

Been considering a Virtual Vintage bridge instead of the '61 on the Strat ... I like a bit heavier bridge pickup (VV '54 or VV Blues for example). Anyone done this? My strat setup is (neck to bridge) 58-61-VV '54. I feel that's a great combination. I really like the 54 in the bridge.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Heavey Blues 2 in the bridge would be nice, I just installed a set of 58/58/61 in a customer's strat, my first time hearing these and they were just "ok". Didn't sound quite as good as I had anticipated based on all the hype and clips I've seen. Plus, they are not totally noiseless as noiseless goes. For some conditions, sure. But in our rehearsal space with light dimmers, etc. there's still a good bit of buzz/hum being picked up.

For me, I'd stick with the real deal Fralins, Lollars, etc.

4. Al Nico

Al Nico Member

The Area T pups have the same 4-condcutor wiring as the VV series. Instruction say that single coil mode is "louder" but with hum", so I would imagaine that single coil mode would work at least as well as it did with the Duncan stacks.

5. doveman

doveman Member

I hear better things about the Area T pups but the Strat-style Legacy has the most noise. I do like the Legacy pups (neck/mid are G&L and bridge is Fralin High Output) but I still don't use the 1-3-5 settings as much as I'd like to.

6. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

You're right about the wiring. I forgot they tie off two of the wires together.

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I'm trying to find a good combo of these for a noisey strat copy. What do you like about the 54 in the bridge? And, did you make the wiring change so the tone control works on the bridge pup (instead of or in addition to the mid pup)?. I've always found strat bridge pups to be way too brittle with OD/gain but I installed Area's in a partscaster (can't remember the years/numbers) and did the tone control mod move and it was excellent... wish I could remember the config I had in that guitar.
    Maybe I'll copy your setup.

8. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

To me, the 54 has a 'fatter' tone than a normal strat bridge pup (which I also find to be on the brittle side). I can dig in for a gritty bluesy bridge solo, but it also responds when I lighten my touch. I did move the tone pot from the middle pup to the bridge, and I'm really happy I did that. Rolling the tone off yields cool fat tones with the 54.

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm actually not a Dimarzio fan in general when it concerns to pickups and they are mainly judged on their humbuckers.

But,

I'm actually debating on going with the Areas in my CS 50's relic Strat because my favorite Strat player has said he is using so. His tone he has is essentially what I'm going for. But I have been also looking at other options:

Bridge/Middel/Neck
    1. Dimarzio - Area '61 / Area '58 / Area '58
    2. Fralin Vintage Hots
    3. Fralin Real '54s
    4. Fralin Blues Special
    5. WB '67-07 Singles
    6. WCR SRs
    Anyone have any thoughts...

10. Gasp100

Cool man. I believe I may have had a 61 - 61 - 54 with the partscaster I mentioned (why did I sell that????). I'll start searching. I remember all of the pickups being really full and rich, the bridge pup in particular was very "woody" and sounded great both clean and with high gain kicked in. Thanks!

11. doveman

doveman Member

My choice if I go the way of the Dimarzio Areas would be:

Neck - DP415 Area '58 Alnico 2, Output=125mv, 6.12k DC, T=9 M=3.5 B=3.5

Middle - DP416 Area '61 Alnico 2, Output=142mv, 6.46k DC, T=8.5 M=4 B=4

Bridge - DP408 VV '54 Pro Alnico 2, Output=140mv, 7.5k DC, T=8 M=5.5 B=5.5

12. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I was thinking of going:
    Neck - '58
    Middle - '58
    Bridge - '61

What you like out of the '54 Pro over the '61 in the bridge position?
    What do you like of the '61 over the '58 in the middle?

If you didn't go "Area", where would you go?

13. doveman

doveman Member

I actually have never seen or heard an Area pickup in person. Only MP3 clips and forum talk. A lot of buzz ... but I'm not expecting micracles. I like Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack Tele pickups but I have a switch on them to cut the hum coils out. It sounds better that way but having the noiseless option is nice. I do recording more than playing live anymore.

I have always found Strat (and my Legacy) bridges a bit weak and tinny. I have replaced the Legacy's bridge with a Frahlin 9.5k and it works really well. So I think the VV'54 might be worth a try.

I also like bridge to be strong, mid a bit weaker, neck a bit weaker ... since the strings compensate with increasing vibration. I can set the pickups more even. I also like the idea of being able to swap the '58 & '61 if I want since they are not RWRP. Playing with pickup heights should provide a lot of options.

I think if I decide to go noiseless ... Areas 1st, Suhr backplate, and maybe Seymour Duncan Classic Stacks set. The 2nd and 3rd are more expensive.

Thanks for the input ... now I just need to decide.

14. Gasp100

Cool man, I'm going to copy you but I will be buying the VV '54 first. More than a few people have mentioned they did that in the bridge. I'll get a chance to see how noiseless they really are compared to the two stock pups I'm going to keep in for now (the neck and middle sound surprisingly nice in the old Fernandes).

15. elicious

elicious Member

i have the 58/58/61 setup in my strat and am very happy with the results! i had lower expectations but installed them anyway because the hum of sc's was bugging me...but it turned out much better than anticipated! :)

16. doveman

doveman Member

I've actually talked myself into:
    - Neck Area '58
    - Middle Area '58 (to replace the '61)
    - Bridge VV Blues (to replace the '54)

The bridge - just a little more output - little less treble - alnico 5 at the bridge might be more comfortable to me.

The middle: I've talked myself into matching neck and middle.

I've located a set like this and can pick it up this week.

I also talked with Bill Lawrence about the L200, L200, L290/L298 today but it's the only other option I'm considering.

17. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I have Area T`s and a Area 58 in the middle of my G&L Asat Classic 3. I Love them! No more hum and all the great tone!

18. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the magic of the areas is that you won't get much tonal improvement by splitting out the bottom coil. this is because that bottom coil isn't killing the tone of the top coil like most stack designs, so the pickup sounds almost the same either way.

yes, dimarzio says splitting will result in more volume along with the hum, but the difference is far less than those duncan tele stacks for example.

my favorite all-virtual v combo is 61n, 58m, and the heavy blues II in the bridge. the brighter pickup in the middle keeps the 2 & 4 settings nice and jangly, while the slightly beefier neck hangs nicely with the loud but still cutting heavy blues II.

19. doveman

doveman Member

I bet that is nice ... I'm going a little lighter on the bridge and a little lighter on the neck. I actually considered the '67 on the neck ... but think the two '58s might work for me. I'm betting that I could put some '67s, '61s, '58s in one sack ... VV'54, Blues, Hvy Blues, '61 in another sack. Then pick two from the first sack ... 1 from the second sack ... random ... and they'll sound good in an interesting sort of way.

:rolleyes: I think I agonize over these decisions too much ... but it's fun.