DiMarzio Area T & Virtual Hot T Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hardys, Feb 14, 2008.

1. hardys

hardys Member

I'm thinking of installing an Area T or Virtual Hot T bridge pup in my Tele. Currently, I have a Lollar Special T in there and love the tone. It's just slightly beefier/thicker than the average stock Tele pup. I need to go noisless, but want to get as close to the Lollar as possible.

I can't find much info on these, but I've read on the Tele forum that the Area T can be thin and bright and that the Virtual Hot T sounds more like a P-90, than a beefy Tele pickup. WHat are your opinions/descriptions of these two pickups compared to other known Tele pickups? I'm really just looking for a noiseless Tele bridge pup that gets a little fuller midrange and lows, no ice pick highs, yet still has the twang. I originally had a Lollar Vintage T, but it was too thin sounding and I quickly replaced it with the Lollar Special T.

2. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I have recently put a VV Hot T in the bridge of my Suhr T. It has a humbucker in the neck and I also needed a noiseless guitar for some of the places we play. The description of what you want is waht I got. I'm very happy with the pickup: big sound, big bottom, fuller mids, really twangs, plenty of bite, Keep in mind my guitar has 500K pots, but I am VERY impressed.

3. hardys

hardys Member

Come on...there's got to be more Area T & Virtual T users out there. :crazyguy

4. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

I recently installed the Area T in my MIM Standard Tele. I have not used the Virtual Hot T, but I would like to try it.

The Area T has been very satisfying and I would recomend it. I wouldn't say it's thin or any brighter than most pickups. Although I tend to roll of the tone slightly when using OD on any of my bridge pickups.

I'm still using the modern bridge, but plan to swap in a vintage 3 barrel setup soon.

5. hardys

hardys Member

6. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

I have thirty Teles and the only noiseless pups that I've used are the Fender CS Samarium Cobalt. I really like the sound. A tad heavier than traditional Tele pups and completely noiseless.

7. Point to Point

Point to Point Member

+1 on the Virtual Hot T - got one in my parts Tele w/Van Zandt Truebucker in the neck - real nice balance between the two. Use that Tele for rock and blues - no country really - totally agree w/sonic description above, its dead quiet too.

8. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

i have an area T in both positions in my rosewood Tele. i'd say it's clear and bell-like, not thin or ice-picky at all. definitely some weight and roundness to the tone which i think is a combo of this chambered rosewood tele coupled with the nature of these pickups - great complement to each other. they aren't going anywhere. plus, they are noiseless, which is great since my house has the dirtiest power on earth.