• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Dimarzio Area T's and other nonsense

Transmisser

So in light of me bringing my American Deluxe Tele out of retirement, I would like to change out my pickups. I currently have it loaded with a set of Leo sounds (Mudcat bridge, strat middle, '59 neck), but I want to swap out the pick guard and go back to a single coil neck and still keep the strat middle pickup. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a set of Dimarzio's - Area T / Area Hot T bridge and an Area T for the neck. I'm not really sure what middle Strat pickup to get, but I do think it's going to be a noiseless Dimarzio.

I have a 5 way switch with the current wiring and I LOVE the sound of the second position (bridge + middle). My only complaint would be that the middle pickup by itself is very bright. I don't want to lose that clarity, but it has way more harshness to it than my bridge pickup.

Just curious what the current opinions were on the Area T pickups, what pot values I should use with these (I guess some users have used with 500k?), Strat middle pickup recommendations of the Dimarzio variety, and anything else that is pertinent to this topic.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I tried the Hot Area T p/ups, and when to the regular Area T's instead. Plenty of gain and tone already. Unless you're playing Heavy Metal I don't think you'll care for them. But that's just my take for what it's worth. Oh yeah, I'm old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
two noiseless-type pickups as a M+B pair will never have the sparkle of two actual single coils. it's just too many coils too close together.

that said, you can keep a real single coil middle and wire the 5-way to split the dimarzio on 2 and 4, so you keep the hum-canceling and don't compromise the two "quack" settings, just at the expense of a noisy "middle by itself" setting.

heck, use a superswitch to substitute "tele middle" for "strat middle" (that is, N+B instead of M by itself) and you get 5 good-sounding hum-canceling settings.

shock me

Silver Supporting Member
Installed a set of Area T's in my CS Tele. The bridge is the newer model(615). I was blown away. Clarity with a bad attitude driven hard. Snappy and musical clean. Looking to put Area's in my Strat now which has SCN'S.

Transmisser

Installed a set of Area T's in my CS Tele. The bridge is the newer model(615). I was blown away. Clarity with a bad attitude driven hard. Snappy and musical clean. Looking to put Area's in my Strat now which has SCN'S.
Did you just have the regular Area T in the bridge, or the hot?

mslugano

Silver Supporting Member
The Area T615 sits bewteen the hot and regular. I highly recommend it!
Man, I'm stoked to read the good reviews on the Area T615! I just received an order of it and an Area T DP417C neck in the mail today. I hadn't been able to find much on the 615 so bought it on a hunch. I need clarity when clean and punch when driven and the Dimarzio blurb made it sound like this would be the one. I hope so.

edit: I assume you don't use a baseplate with the Areas?

mslugano

Silver Supporting Member
I installed the Area T615 and DP417 yesterday and I REALLY dig the T615! It replaced a BKP '55 custom with staggered poles that was pretty spiky and, I think due to the staggered poles, was really poorly balanced (12" radius neck).

The bridge is really clear with a very broad spectrum. It does country twang really well and is not even remotely muddy. Then, when you crank it up it's like it turns into another pickup and it growls. GREAT rock tone!

I'm not as happy with the neck pickup. I mean, it sounds real nice (and better than what it replaced) but doesn't have as tight a bottom as I like. I'm going to mess with pickup height to see if I can dial it in a little better.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a great country/rock Tele bridge pickup (that is silent, too), the Area T615 is really worth a try.

robertkoa

two noiseless-type pickups as a M+B pair will never have the sparkle of two actual single coils. it's just too many coils too close together.

that said, you can keep a real single coil middle and wire the 5-way to split the dimarzio on 2 and 4, so you keep the hum-canceling and don't compromise the two "quack" settings, just at the expense of a noisy "middle by itself" setting.

heck, use a superswitch to substitute "tele middle" for "strat middle" (that is, N+B instead of M by itself) and you get 5 good-sounding hum-canceling settings.
DiMarzio can even help with this (also on Strats ) so the middle PU will be RWRP

when coil cut for positions 2 and 4 .

mslugano

Silver Supporting Member
^^^ Yea, it's a perfect Tele pickup for me - I play country and rock and it's perfectly wound for both.

allanr

I put an Area T in the neck of my Tele, and left the stock single coil in the bridge. I love the whole setup. Angry growl and twang, or warm and silent clarity, plus a really sweet in between.

Sent from my EGQ307 using Tapatalk

mslugano

Silver Supporting Member
I put an Area T in the neck of my Tele, and left the stock single coil in the bridge. I love the whole setup. Angry growl and twang, or warm and silent clarity, plus a really sweet in between.

What's in the bridge? Fender American?

allanr

The stock pickup is still in the bridge. It's a Fender American Vintage Telecaster pup. Essentially a replica of the original cloth wire '69

allanr

I wanted to have a noiseless option on my Tele without altering the vintage sound at all. The DiMarzio comes very close.

yuevi

I've got an Area T Neck and have tried both the Area T Bridge and Area Hot T Bridge.

I like Area Hot T Bridge better than the Area T Bridge for my playing/tone.

The Area T Neck is great, a nice tone and no hum.

chumbucket

Silver Supporting Member
The area hot T isn't all that high output. It pairs well with a low output neck humbucker. Its voiced to sound like a PAF. May not be bright enough for some folks.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom