DiMarzio Bluesbucker vs. BG Pups Pure 90

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blingdogg, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

Does anyone have experience with both of these humbucker sized pickups and can describe how they compare tone wise?

I know the Pure90 is a true P90 in humbucker size, while the Bluesbucker is a low output humbucker made to sound like a P90.

Secondly, I have a Pure90 bridge and Bluesbucker (that I want in the neck) that I bought ages ago and never installed, and wondering how they'd match up. I keep hearing how the Bluesbucker is fairly high output for a P90 so I'm thinking these may not be the right pair in a guitar, that the Bluesbucker may overpower the Pure90.

2. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

3. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

You might be the best test case, if you’ve got those pickups already.

If you do install them, please post your impressions. I’ve been interested in the bluesbucker for quite a hike, but never got around to the right application.

Blingdogg likes this.
  4. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

Yeah looks like I'll have to try it out myself.

Thanks, will do.

5. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I don't have any specific information but the Bluesbucker is pretty hot IMO. I had one in my Mira (and had it briefly in my Les Paul) and it kind of overpowered the PAF 36th bridge.

Blingdogg likes this.
  6. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

On the Bluesbucker the screw coil does almost all the work, so which way you turn the pickup makes a big difference. Screws toward bridge will be noticeably brighter.

Blingdogg likes this.
  7. Blingdogg

Blingdogg Member

Hmmm...... I was thinking of orienting the Bluesbucker screws towards the bridge and pairing it with the Pure90. But the more I think about it and hear about how hot it is, the more I think it will just overpower the Pure90.

I'm now leaning more towards just getting another Bluesbucker for a full set as that seems like the best match output-wise.