Dimarzio DLX humbucking soapbars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HoboMan, Apr 12, 2015.

1. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

DP154 bridge & DP162 neck.

Grabbed these from the Emporium last week (thanks 12guitdown) and installed them into my Les Paul Jr Special last night.

I only have my small Marshall practice amp right now but these things sound great.

They are definitely HOT!

The bridge has Lots of harmonics but still very clear.
    Very similar to the Tom Scholz Boston sound. No mud at all.
    Easily gets the Billy Gibbons Eliminator tone or the Vivian Cambell tone from Rainbow in the Dark also.

The neck PU is very clear with almost a single coil quality with the sustain and output of a humbucker.
    Easily gets the Sweet Child of Mine tone.

Install was easy. They dropped right in.
    They are deeper than the original Gibson P90s but still fit.

Obviously not what everyone's looking for but these PUs are really good at what they do.
    I'll try them thru a larger gigging amp this week (Splawn & Budda).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. $tratcat

$tratcat Member

I have a pair of the in my Ibanez Satriani not sure of the model#, but it had P90's originally. I wired the neck pickup with a push-pull to flip it from series/parallel and I use the parallel setting 90% of the time - really has a nice single-coil vibe, without the noise. I find myself dropping the tone on the bridge side to about 70%, which fattens it up, but still has a enough bite. I'm very happy with these pickups.
    I once owned a Valley Arts Larry Carlton model that had P100's in it. I could never bond with those pickups and at the time. I wasn't aware if there were any replacement pickups available for them at the time, so I sold the guitar. Wish I still had it - I'd pop a set of these in there and it would most likely be my #1.

3. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

I put one in the bridge spot in my '73 Gibby Deluxe right after they started selling these...to me, they had a sound very similar to the Super Distortion in my Custom. I loved it. Very hot indeed..but that's where the volume control comes into play. Kudos on the discovery!

4. dazco

dazco Member

Damn, i have had my LP Jr special P90 for sale for a while now because as much as i like P90;'s, i would rather have HB's in it. I saw these but never found any reviews till now. Now you have m wondering again dammit ! :D How much of a chimey clean sound can the neck get when you roll back to clean up? Thats why i didn't like about P90's. They thinned out too much unless i removed the treble bleed, but w/o it they got dull. Tried every value and scenario with the bleed but nothing worked. Just did not like the rolled down cleaner tones.

5. HoboMan

These are really hot and not sure how well they'll clean up with just the guitar's volume.
    I can give a better opinion after I try them thru my gigging rig this week (Splawn Supersport & Budda Superdrive).

If you remember I had a set of Vintage Vibe PUs in this guitar but I had my vintage tones pretty much covered with my Les Paul Classic with Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries so I thought I'd try something different with this guitar.

A couple of weeks ago I put the P90s back in and played a couple of gigs with them.
    They sounded good at the first club but the second club gave the the loud single coil buzz.

Saw these last week in the Emporium and bought them right away.

Maybe someone with more experience with these can post about the clean tones but I'll definitely post back later in the week.

Dimarzio also has the Virtual P90 which is a P90 size humbucker that has less output and will probably be better at cleaning up with the guitar's volume.

6. HoboMan

OK, got to try them at volume thru my Splawn Supersport & Budda SD30 & SD18.

The PUs sound really good. Aggressive rock tones with tight lows.

As for cleaning up with the guitar's volume, they do OK.
    As I mentioned, these are HOT PUs.
    The neck PU does clean up but doesn't get a pristine clean if you hit the strings hard.
    They definitely keep their warm humbucking tone. They don't thin out like a single coil.

I have two gigs this weekend (Friday & Satrurday) and I'm sure I'll use this guitar for at least one of them.
    Maybe both if I have time to change strings Saturday before that gig.

7. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I've had these virtual P90's in this G&L ASAT Special for several years now - I play through F-voiced amps and there is no lack of high end niceties even when you dial the vol back from 10 to 8. Ebony fretboard on this G&L helps make it a snappy sounding guitar.
    [​IMG]

8. HoboMan

VERY NICE!

9. jcs

jcs Member

How do you have the neck pickup wired, in series, which gives more output and gain or parallel?

I have always wondered about these.......many years ago there was a Les Paul player that had these in his 70's Les Paul & it sounded good.

10. HoboMan

It's wired in series but in the future I may do what $tratcat did and install a push/pull pot to switch it to parallel.

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

[​IMG]

Cool to see a thread on the P90 sized Dimarzio humbuckers. I have Virtual P90's in my ash Koll Tornado - my favorite guitar I've ever owned. I'd say they have probably PAF level output, but are slightly brighter and slightly thinner. Somewhere between "real P90's" and humbuckers. They're certainly an option for people wanting some P90 vibe without the *real* hum.

You know... $tratcat, that's a killer idea to have them wired for parallel also. Never thought about that. Funny, I have another Tornado in the works with just two humbuckers and one of the features I'd like is to be able to switch to parallel wiring on that guitar too. With the new CTR push pull pots I might have this done to my Virtual P90's too. Might get even closer to the P90 vibe when needed?

12. HoboMan

I used the guitar at a gig last night for the first time with the new PUs.
    Played thru my Budda 2x12 combo and it just Killed!

Great tones in all three positions.
    Bridge PU has a lot of bite & clarity.
    Middle position got my favorite Jimmy Page tones.
    Neck PU was smooth with no flub at all.

Loving these PUs.

13. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

I just put some on today on an old Les Paul special, I replaced the P-100's.
    They are in improvement over the P100's, still messing with them, but they are not as "hot" as I would have imagined. Jury is still out.