Dimarzio DLX Plus™ Bridge DP154 in a 60's LP tribute?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 12guitdown, Feb 19, 2012.

1. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Or any LP for that matter. Hoping for a screaming pickup thats halfway decent clean or at least when mixed with the neck.

Opinions appreciated.

PS: Gotta RS guitarworks full electronics kit as well.

2. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I had one. It'll do what you ask.

I got rid of it because I realized I don't like higher output pickups with my amps.

3. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

I can sort of answer that soon. I was teetering back and forth between the DLX plus and Super Distortion P90. I ordered the SD because I have a strat style and a Tele style SD and they're absolutely amazing at everything for my ears.

It should be here Tuesday. I already put minis in my Tribute so I'll try keeping the neck mini with it and see how that goes. If worst comes to worst I'll probably add a DLX plus neck or another SD.

Pretty sure the DLX plus and SD will slay in a Les Paul. I think the DLX is a little scooped as compared to the SD so it may be a little better clean. Although the SD is a decent clean pup on my other guitars, not country or jazz clean but nice RnR clean.

4. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Cool. Thx for the insight. Anyone else put a dlx in their LP?

5. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

6. johnfv

johnfv Member

I have the DP162 (a little less output and bass response) in the bridge on my Epi LP Special and love it. I highly suggest taking advantage of the 2 coils, I converted my tone pot to a variable split which lets me get anything from full humbucking to single coil.

FWIW, I did also try the DP209 (P90 super distortion) in the bridge but it sounded too much like a typical humbucker. I put it in the neck position (but wired it in parallel to get a lower output more single coil tone), actually works very well combined with the DP162 (cleans up nicely when switching away from bridge position).

7. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

It sounds really good so far but, thhe stock Gibson vol pot reads a poor 294. I'll be installing the RS pots tonight. WooHoo im stoked!

8. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

I already sold my DP209 SD.......just doesn't look right. Sounded great though. I custom ordered a Vintage Vibe hot Minihum to put in there.

let us know after the RS goes in how you feel. I bet you love it

9. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Will do. Got it all wired up but its too late to turn it up. Gosh, I hope I can sleep tonight.

10. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Well had a couple hours with it and with the RS rewire its a completely different animal. The bass is well balanced with the treble being really bright, but in a good way, not ice-picky at all. Of course it handles high gain really well and is pretty darn quiet but im totally impressed with how friggin awesome it sounds clean! Way beyond my expectations. Roll back sounds great with useful tones across the spextrum and sounds superb in the mid position mixed with the P-90. The only (slight) problem, is the P-90 is a bit dark in comparison so I might have to eq the amp to the neck and roll back the bridge tone to accommodate. So all in all, this Dimarzio is better than what I had anticipated.

Cheers!:drink

11. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Hey Brian. Did you get your SD installed yet? Like to hear a tone report. As fas as mids go on the DP154, they're pretty flat to my ears, present but not forward, not scooped at all but a good call on it sounding good clean. It'll do the chicken pickin thang too.

12. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Here's a pic. It was taken before the RS install and pick up height adjustments. You get the general idea tho i accidently bought the black one, haha, maybe I'll get the matching neck and sell the P-90s. I kinda like the black trim on this one.
    [​IMG]

13. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Looks great. I installed my SDP90 and I just couldn't reconcile with the aesthetics because of my minihum in the neck. It sounded incredible.

I sold it and bought a custom wound minihum from Vintage Vibe which I am happy to report sounds amazing in it's own right also.

Your guitar looks really cool.....bet she sounds awesome too

14. bluesdale

bluesdale Member

I just picked up a 2011 LP Goldtop Trad Pro and it was modded with the DP 154 in the bridge and DP162 in the neck. The neck P/U is way too hot and dark so I am leaning toward replacing it with a p90 that has the "tap" that I can take advantage of since it's already wired that way. I plan to leave in the DP154 HB in the bridge. I will likely go with a Fralin cuz he'll likely wind it how I want it.

Do you have any balance issues with that setup. There is a huge difference in Kohms between this p/u's so it makes me a bit cautious.

Any and all suggestions welcome.