DiMarzio DP103 (Neck) 36th Ann. PAF in Strat Bridge

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Adam79, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Adam79

Adam79 Member

Anyone try putting a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary Neck PAF in the Bridge position? I was thinking that the lower resistance, 7.3 instead of 8.6, would work better for low gain blues/rock.

Or trying an Alnico 2 magnet in one? I've heard the 36th PAF is kinda bright. The two might tame that a bit. In this case, do you think the DP223 (bridge version) might work better.

2. DonP

DonP Member

No, but I don't care for low gain blues/rock.

Do what you want. If it sucks you can always change it again.

3. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

I would lean toward PAF master for lower gain unless you want more clarity.

After hearing A/B of the two, the PAF master is brighter with a bit more grit.

The 36th is rounder and maybe a bit higher output, or just fatter.

I have a Master in my DBZ and I've got a 36th in the box I'm still waiting to put in to A/B myself.

Do you specifically want DiMarzio for the cream? Otherwise I'd say just go Seymour Duncan and get an A2

4. Adam79

Adam79 Member

No, I'm just having a hard time deciding what to get. It's hard to tell from those youtube vids cuz it's mostly all leads and high gain. From what I have been able to decipher, I like the 36 best, but it seems like it could be a bit bright for the bridge of a Strat. That's why I was thinking to use the neck version or try an A2. Or maybe the bridge and an A3.

5. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I would not pay money to try that combo. Great vibe, but bright and the neck pickup will most likely be even brighter (I've only owned the bridge).

With recent experiments, I think you need to go with stronger magnets if using lower winds in the Bridge. I put a Fralin PAF modern neck in a bridge position. These have strong mags, so the low wind of the neck sounded fantastic and it is not too bright or peaky.

I was trying to simulate a Peter Florance sound and it did the trick. FYI, Fralin can custom wind anything.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  6. LBXPDX

LBXPDX Member

I have an old (80’s I believe) DP103 that I had in the bridge of a hog bodied strat with a solid rosewood neck and it sounded glorious, but it made the neck and middle pickups (ssl-1’s)pale in comparison. I recently swapped in a wide range humbucker into the bridge position and it seemed a better fit with the SSL-1’s.

7. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

I've been on a Dimarzio quest for a mahogany Les Paul Custom style guitar only because I have never added Dimarzios to any guitar before. However, in my favorite Strat I have a Duncan 78 in the bridge with Lollar neck and middle. LOVE this combo. Great Strat tone in pos 5 and 4, full on humbucker in goodness in pos 1. You must look up the Suhr wiring diagram for bridge humbuckers if that's what you ultimately go with..

I was trying to find this amazing vid on YouTube that helped me with this decision, but couldn't find it.

8. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Don't overlook the Dimarzio EJ Custom.

9. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

Keep in mind a lower wind bridge = lower capacitance which means brighter.

Higher DCR typically (not always) infers darker - but ALWAYS when all other things are the same.

10. 3of5

3of5 Member

I put a 36th Anniversary neck in the bridge of my Strat partscaster. It is lower in output and slightly brighter than the bridge version so, for me, it pairs better with the single coils in the middle and neck. I use a Dimarzio Area 61 in the neck and an Area 67 in the middle. Works well for me. I have a EJ custom in another guitar and that is even brighter and lower in output than the 36th neck. It actually balances well with single coils because it sounds a little more like them, but, then you give up some tonal variety. Just depends what you like and what you are trying to achieve. Good luck.