DiMarzio EJ Pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by t3oi, Jul 9, 2006.

1. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

Anyone used the DiMarzio Eric Johnson model pickups? Thoughts? Opinions?

2. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

3. t3oi

Yeah, I read those, but it's sometimes hard to gauge how good something is or isn't on there when there aren't many reviews or just a few seemingly contradictory reviews, i.e., they're very bright vs. not bright at all like the website description. I understand that sound is subjective, but if there is a glowing weakness (or oustanding benefit) in a product, there are typically similar comments about it.

4. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

That can be very true, since a lot of the reviewers read the other reviews and then form their opinion based on that as well. Hopefully someone here will be able to help you

I think it always really helps to look at the DC resistance, tone guide for EQ and output. Good luck! :)

5. t3oi

Thanks. I'm looking at pickups to replace the McCarty's in my PRS McCarty Rosewood. The guitar has a great fundamental tone, but can be quite muddy with the neck pickup, even on clean sounds. The 25" scale length and mahagony body obviously play a major role in that, but I'm hoping that the EJ Custom's can bring out as much clarity as possible in this guitar.

6. Sean

Sean Supporting Member

I put EJ's in my McCarty (it's just a regular McC- not a rosewood). I like them way better than the stock pickups- they were just too hot for me. I couldn't get a clean sound I liked out of the stock pups.

The EJ's have less output than stock. A little more treble and a little less bottom. You can get a decent clean tone out of them. They don't sound fantastic split, but ymmv. I wound up spliting one (the bridge) and leaving the neck alone- I get a nice "in between" tone with the selector in the middle.
    Dirty tones are no problem for me either. In general I like the pickups.

FWIW I am a die hard strat guy. I am playing my PRS thru a Fender as well.

7. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I think the type of magnet, and size of the wire, and how it is wound is way more important than DC R....IMHO. True that a high reading can mean more output, but there are many factors in making great pups. If DC resitance was it, PAFs would be easy to re create.
    YMMV

8. t3oi

Thanks for the response. I've found very few humbuckers...that sound anywhere close to good in a split-mode (I'd rather use a true single coil)...only a DiMarzio Air Norton in the Neck position I had comes to mind. I typically prefer the clarity and definition of single-coils, but want to keep this one a HB guitar.

9. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I've got a pair in an old LP-style guitar, and really like them. They have a distinct Filtertron vibe to them, which was what EJ was asking for apparently. Clean they sound nice and Gretschy, lots of high-end without getting harsh, lots of clarity and detail. Distorted they retain their note definition really well, which is great for power chords. Great choice for a secondary guitar, or someone looking for a distinctive personal voice. -Eric

10. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

While I'm sure that is true, I don't know how you could even get that information. The only specs that you can find on Dimarzio's website are the reference points I gave, plus the type of magnet is Alnico 5. Anything else, I would think would be much of a challenge.

11. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Judging a pickup by its resistance can be as totally misleading as it is helpful. So many variables before we even get to which guitar it gets installed in and where.
    The EJs sound so distinctive I find the tech specs virtually meaningless.
    Then there's the problem of describing the taste of vanilla ice cream to a Martian...-Eric

12. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Then I guess it definitely depends pickup to pickup. I can say I'm 100% sure reading the tone guide and the DC Resistance of a pickup that I chose (unfortunately) after the fact, and then understood why the attack was off, COMPLETELY helped me understand.

I can say from my experience that sound clip samples have been just as misleading as helpful. A pickup can sound great in one guitar and bad in another.

The Invader pickup (Seymour Duncan), is a good example of a pickup that people put in their guitars and many complain it sounds "too dark".
    The tone guide shows that the treble reading is only 4, so when they state it sounds "undefined", that should've been the first clue, IMHO.

13. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I'm going to get a pair of the Dimarzio EJs to use on the 12-string side of a double-neck tele. Any thoughts on that? I'll be splitting them as well.

The 6-string side will have Don Mare 2324s, which are very low-output, should be an interesting mix.

14. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

the EJ's were orig designed to retrofit into EJ's LP reissue.

I have a McCarty (mahog necked) and went with a set of the Virtual PAF's. I'm very happy with this set. much improved cleans and they split nicely too !

another benefit I like is that the current wiring gave me a better tele-esque tone with switch in mid position and coils tapped. this mode is also hum-canceling unlike the stock config.

if you like a bit more heat for the bridge, they also make the Virtual PAF Hot (which is still within PAF territory)

15. armanHammer

armanHammer Member

Does anyone have sound clips of the ej's?

16. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I've got mine in my PRS Hollowbody II at the moment. I was really jonesing for a Brian Setzer, but I love my HBII and wanted to make it more useable in my country band. The Gretsch vibe is definitely there. In general, they are low-output, very clear with a lot of top without harshness, fat but with lots of detail. I think they sound pretty weak split, and I believe even Steve Blucher at Dimarzio thinks the same (wouldn't even bother doing the wiring). Not for everyone, but a totally unique tone.-Eric

17. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I got a recommendation from DiMarzio to use an EJ bridge in the neck spot of my LP. The tech said it wouldn't flub out where the EJ neck pickup can do that at times. My pickup is coming on Thursday, should know this weekend if he was right :D

18. muddy

muddy Member

i put the neck model in the same position on my sg today, and i have to say it sounds great. it's very responsive to height adjustments, too, so you will NOT have to stick the bridge version in the neck to get better definition (nor suffer the added output & distortion). and it RULEZ with the toggle in the middle position (i have a z90 in the bridge)! what i'd LIKE to do is use a push-pull pot for switching between serial & parallel. thanx harry! you wuz right about this pup!

ml

19. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Shoot, I've already got the pickup ordered :( Maybe I can do an exchange.

20. muddy

muddy Member

you might luck out & it sounds great; for me, since i'd originally intended to put a filtertron (ala akkerman) in that position, the ej neck seemed to be the obvious choice as the 'tron is a low output pup. when you make 'em hotter, they tend to lose jangle, chime & character.

ml