DiMarzio equivalent of Seymour Duncan JB/59

InversePolarity

Tone heretic
Silver Supporting Member
Interested in trying out DiMarzios in a 2020 LP Tribute. Absolutely adore the JB/59 combo in my LTD EC1000. Wondering what DiMarzio pickups might be considered closest in signature tones to the JB/59. If you've gone down this road, please sound off here. Thanks!

Edit: I realize the LP Tribute is a slightly different beast than the LTD in several ways, most notably the fret count and fretboard wood, also maple vs mahogany neck/top, and that has some impact on the natural EQ of the pickups. Regardless, feel free to theorize!

Last edited:

wox

Silver Supporting Member
There's not really a DiMarzio that sounds like the JB imo.

PAF Pro, Fred, Air Zone, or Breed may be close. The Evolution may be of interest too, tho it's a hotter ceramic magnet. The Super D is in the ballpark, but substantially brighter than a JB.

For the 59 in the neck, the 36th PAF or Air Classic.

InversePolarity

Tone heretic
Silver Supporting Member
At-1/36th would be the closest, but the norton might be a better fit for a les paul. The at1 may be too bassy.
Any experience with the Super Distortion in bridge? My understanding is that's bass-heavy too.

Noise Under The Floor

Platinum Supporting Member
Any experience with the Super Distortion in bridge? My understanding is that's bass-heavy too.
I’ve never found the Super Distortion bass heavy. It has solid lows but its a ceramic magnet and has plenty of cut. The lows are tighter than the JB’s. Its a classic go to bridge pickup in a Les Paul if you like 70s and 80s rock, but Ive always found it pretty versatile.

wox

Silver Supporting Member
The Super is more of scooped tone profile, more treble and bass compared to the JB, which is a pickup with a ton of thick mid harmonics.

The Super is a bit more aggressive and brash sounding, it makes for very defined leads and riffs.

Both great pickups imo.

InversePolarity

Tone heretic
Silver Supporting Member
There's not really a DiMarzio that sounds like the JB imo.

PAF Pro, Fred, Air Zone, or Breed may be close. The Evolution may be of interest too, tho it's a hotter ceramic magnet. The Super D is in the ballpark, but substantially brighter than a JB.

For the 59 in the neck, the 36th PAF or Air Classic.
Thanks! I was wondering about that Super Distortion too. Seems to have a lot of supporters and detractors, maybe just due to the platforms it's been installed into. I suppose brighter might pair well with a rosewood board.

The 36th seems to be a favorite in this forum, even against other brands' PAFs, and not just the 59. That's reassuring.

wox

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks! I was wondering about that Super Distortion too. Seems to have a lot of supporters and detractors, maybe just due to the platforms it's been installed into. I suppose brighter might pair well with a rosewood board.

The 36th seems to be a favorite in this forum, even against other brands' PAFs, and not just the 59. That's reassuring.

Rosewood board won't make an audible difference but using a lower value (like 300k) volume pot may help you.

Silverback

Silver Supporting Member
I wonder why you want to stray from the Duncan combo you like so much?

It will be in a different guitar so even if you stayed with the JB/59, it will sound different.

But, if you just want to try Dimarzio for a different sound, I get that.

The allure of Dimarzio - if it was me, and I've thought about it plenty, there's no question I would go with a Super Distortion and a 36th Ann. PAF in the neck. Can't go wrong with that combo either IMO.

Good luck to you whatever you choose.

InversePolarity

Tone heretic
Silver Supporting Member
I wonder why you want to stray from the Duncan combo you like so much?

It will be in a different guitar so even if you stayed with the JB/59, it will sound different.

But, if you just want to try Dimarzio for a different sound, I get that.

The allure of Dimarzio - if it was me, and I've thought about it plenty, there's no question I would go with a Super Distortion and a 36th Ann. PAF in the neck. Can't go wrong with that combo either IMO.

Good luck to you whatever you choose.
Thank you! Yeah, different guitar, so I figured I'd try something that's new to me but with similar characteristics as what I'm drawn to. Haven't ruled out the JB/59 just yet though.

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
Let us know the DiMarzios you pick and how they work in the guitar. I go with Duncan pickups in general and have JB/Jazz sets in several 6 and 7 strings. However, my EBMM Majesty 7 and a couple of my Ibanez shredders have really nice sounding Dimarzios. I now see them as great sounding pickups. A lot depends on your pots and how the guitar interacts with the pickups.

Good Luck!

Silverback

Silver Supporting Member
Super Distortion and Bluesbucker. Everyone knows—or has heard of—the SD, but the BB is under appreciated and under utilized.

Now that would make for a very versatile guitar for sure.

@ChieFender you might really like that combo, look into the Bluesbucker in the neck too. supersoldier71 is right that it is an often overlooked Dimarzio.

Now that would make for a very versatile guitar for sure.

@ChieFender you might really like that combo, look into the Bluesbucker in the neck too. supersoldier71 is right that it is an often overlooked Dimarzio.
On a whim I went with this pairing in my PRS. I’d only used Duncans in the past, but I decided to try something new.

In a S2 S24, they scream, sing, grind, chime or sear, depending. The middle position even “quacks” a bit.

Ndaxe

Interested in trying out DiMarzios in a 2020 LP Tribute. Absolutely adore the JB/59 combo in my LTD EC1000. Wondering what DiMarzio pickups might be considered closest in signature tones to the JB/59. If you've gone down this road, please sound off here. Thanks!

Edit: I realize the LP Tribute is a slightly different beast than the LTD in several ways, most notably the fret count and fretboard wood, also maple vs mahogany neck/top, and that has some impact on the natural EQ of the pickups. Regardless, feel free to theorize!
Air Norton and Tone Zone are a great combination.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom