1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dimarzio eric johnson humbuckers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Reviews' started by Brian.gerhard, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Brian.gerhard

Brian.gerhard Supporting Member

put these in a mij jaguar a couple weeks ago, replacing sd jazz and jb set and it turned a flat sounding one dimensional rock guitar into a truly expressive guitar. The highs on these pickups are so silky, only thing i can compare them to are old guild hb1's..they have the perfect amount of presence and now interact with my crosstown fuzz amd old ross chorus so much more. Dynamic and have great bloom.. im not an eric johnson fan just in

Holzar88 and HoboMan like this.
  2. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

These have peaked my interest and the review is fanning the fire. Gonna have to try some in the near future.

3. Brian.gerhard

Brian.gerhard Supporting Member

Man ive owned a ton of humbuckers and the only ones with this kind of sparkle are the old guild hb-1s

4. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

I'll second that, Brian!

I have a mid-90s LP Std with the stock 490R / 498T humbuckers, running into an A/B 2-amp setup, one for cleans (using an ADA Flanger for chorus), the other for dirt (straight up for a bluesy grit, and for crunchier stuff with an overdrive pedal).

The notes in the LP's lower registers, whether going clean or dirty, lacked definition, and the intervals had no sweetness to them; they were what I'll call bland.

On a whim I thought I'd give EJ's Dimarzios a whirl, hoping it would get rid of the mud associated with the stock p/ups.

Boy, I got lucky! With both amps, these brought definable clarity to the low notes, and the intervals now had color attached. Shortly after that, I wound up getting an early MJM Si London Fuzz on a whim as part of a trade. The London and the A/DA sound incredibly 3-D with these pickups.