Dimarzio P90 soapbar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dave M, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Dave M

Dave M Supporting Member

Who has used any of them, and how did they compare to other P90s?

Why do I ask? Good question!
    I'm actually interested in Kinman ($$$) or Fralin noise cancelling P90s. But I know Dimarzio also makes some non-traditional P90 sized pickups. I guess the Virtual P90 (DP169) looks interesting.

Anybody with actual experience using the Dimarzios care to comment?

2. Dave M

Dave M Supporting Member

Giving this a bump. ;)

3. Carlo

Carlo Member

I had them in a Grosh Electrajet. I usually prefer Fralins and was a bit put off by the fact Dimarzios were in this guitar when I got it. I hadn't used Dimarzios since the 70's.

The Dimarzio P90s in this Electrajet were incredible! Touch responsive, dynamic, mellow when you wanted them to be but growled with authority! I was very content to leave them in that guitar. They really were impressive.

4. Sensates

Sensates Member

I liked it but not enough to make it a permanent fixture in my LP Special. I stuck with the P-100s

5. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

When you say 'some non-traditional P-90 sized' pickups, do you mean the ones with double rows of poles?
    If so, they're just smaller sized humbuckers under the covers.
    Here's a pick of one with the hood removed with a standard humbuggie next to it for reference.

So...they're P-90 sized humbuckers, not any type of specialized noise-cancelling P-90 design past the point of any HB being noise cancelling. I believe they do wind the coils differently to achieve more bite and articulation, but they do that on certain regular buggies too, but they are in no way a P-90, just size and shape.

I mean, when you're talking about noise cancelling or noise reduction, it usually boils down to either there's another coil involved somewhere, or some type or form of shielding involved.

[​IMG]

6. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I have a set of the Dimarzio Virtual P90's in a thin-line semi-hollow G&L ASAT Special. I also have a set of the Fralin noisless P90's (reg wind) in a singlecut PRS SE Soapbar II. Since the two guitars are built so different - semi-hollow vs. mahogany slab, its hard to compare - I do know that the Fralins in the SE Soapbar are very close to the P90's I took out - still has a lot of chime on the top end and stout low mids w/the Fralins. The Dimarzios sound very good in the ASAT Special, I can do all the funk strumming I need with that guitar - it has an ebony fretboard, so it really has no trouble cutting through a band mix - neither guitar does - I think both sets of pickups provide a very good P90 tone with out the hum, both are more open sounding than a normal humbucker and both have a little more top end than a lot of humbuckers. I will say that I think the Dimarzio may have just a little tiny more mids (more into the mid-mids along with the reg. low-mids) than the Fralins though, but that could easily be the difference between the two different style of guitar bodies. I've had the Dimarzios in that ASAT for 6 years now, no inclination to swap them out. I didn't think the $$ difference between the Fralins and the Kinmans was worth it, so I stuck with Fralins - no regrets at all. Haven't been called out for a tone violation at a gig yet ;-)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  7. Dave M

Dave M Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback. Grosh had used Dimarzios for a while, AFAIK, before he went with his own brand of pickups. That guy knows his stuff. ;)

Well, yeah, I know the Dimarzios with the parallel rows of poles showing are just what I call "small" or "narrow format" humbuckers. My hunch has been that they are probably more akin to their original humbucker roots, but I have not played any of them myself. Sounds like your description is that they are much closer related to their humbucker origins than a more P90 origin. Is that how I should understand it?

Interesting. My application would be for a korina SE One. Thanks for the insight. I would love a throaty P90 sound, but without the single coil noise (yes, I know about cavity shielding), even running into a hot plexi circuit (or more!).

Anyone else? Thanks, guys.

8. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I've often wondered exactly how those Dimarzio models like that mount into a P90 space. A traditional soapbar has the screws through the center part of the pickup. Those Dimarzios have them out on the sides like a regular 'bucker, like they'd mount in a ring. If you're going from a regular soapbar P90 to something like the Dimarzio pictured there, how does it convert/mount?

9. Sensates

Sensates Member

You only have to drill two holes at the side, and used the stock screws and springs/foam for the mounting.

I'm also interested in a good set of hum free P90s with dog ears.

10. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Supporting Member

They are a direct fit for a P90 rout. They are humbuckers that are shrunk down to a P90 footprint. The the mounting screws are more to the outer edge of the pickup, but they still fit in the same apace.

I fit a Tone Zone P90 on a PRS SE that I owned. It fit great with zero trouble. I had to pre drill for the new mounting screws, and it came with a foam spacer.

The one thing to checks that they are slightly taller than a standard P90. You may have to deepen the rout for the pickup slightly so it allows for string clearance. My PRS did not need this, but YMMV.

11. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I knew they fit, just wasn't sure about the mounting screws. Thanks for explaining about having to drill the new holes, that's the part I was wondering about. I have a PRS Custom 22 Triple Soapbar on the way. Apparently Duncan made the pickups for those, so they should be good, just not quiet. Just thinking about pickup options later on if I want to give something else a try.

12. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    BTW - here is a shot of that G&L ASAT Thinline
    [​IMG]

13. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Supporting Member

I've had a few different P90's in a couple different PRS McSoapy's.....Firstly, the stock SD's aren't bad. They're very tame. No growl to them when you need it really. Definitely didn't have the bite or cut I was looking for, especially that stock neck pickup. Then I tried the Lollars...very good, light years better than the stock SD's....but still a little tame. I ended up selling that PRS P90....and snagging another rare one (McSoapy Trem) and on the recommendation of my pretty esteemed luthier, I threw in Fralins and they absolutely kick ass. They'll growl when you need them, clean up gorgeously and have just the perfect amount of cut, woodiness, sustain & clarity...really fantastic pickups. I went 10% underwound on the neck, regular for the bridge, fwiw.