Dimarzio pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bonedance, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

With all the talk of "best' humbuckers and single coils the past few weeks, I got to wondering what others thought of Dimarzio pickups.

I've used many different brands of pickups over the past 25 years, ( currently use Lollars, Moores, Electrokraft, etc ) but had stayed away from Dimarzios due to a pre-concieved notion they are more "shredder" type pickups.

I bought a set of Twang Kings several years ago and really liked them in a tele. Although they are now long gone, I currently have a Virtual Vintage Hot T in the bridge and a PAF classic in the neck of this tele.

I must say, I am very happy with the combination of these two pickups. Just curious if there is any love out there for Dimarzios and if anyone else has had a similar notion Dimarizos were bad only to discover the opposite.

2. Nigel

Nigel Guest

The EBMM Axis I recently bought has Dimarzio 'buckers. They sound really, really good. Rich and full of harmonics without getting too biting or too boomy.

Their PAF humbuckers have gotten very good reviews on the LP forum.

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

DiMarzio makes a tremendous range of pickups, so much so that any generality about their products is bound to be wrong by definition. They do make some very hot shredder style pickups, but they also make some wonderful low output pickups as well. The Bluesbucker is one of the cleverest designs I've ever encountered, offering essentially a single coil sound with complete hum cancelling. These have gradually become the standard pickups in our guitars and after using them is a bunch of our guitars, I'm still really impressed. They also make a very good selection of 7-string pickups and I've been using their PAF-7 neck pickup in my own guitars for years. I consider it to be the best 7-string jazz pickup I've ever tried.

Dale likes this.
  4. HHB

HHB Member

I'm very impressed w/ their soapbar sized humcancelling, I'm using a virtual P-90 in the neck and a modified DLX in the bridge of a TCM, really nice tones, I was like you but now I think DiMarzio is a really versatile company, not just shred stuff at all, althought their lit and ad's sure make em look uber metal LOL

5. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I have a set of virtual vintage single coils in my grosh and am very happy.

6. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the Fred, Air Norton, and PAF Pro pickups, but they have several cool choices. I wanted a more modern A5 tone for my newest guitar and the Fred/PAF Pro set fit the bill perfectly. Low to medium output and great tone IMO.

7. fatback

fatback Member

My Vinetto came with a one of Dimarzio's silent tele bridge pickups. I'm very impressed.

I heard a Bluesbucker in one of Jim Solloway's Swans. Another nice pickup.

My buddy Ron swears by the Virtua Vintage 2.2's in his many Grosh strats. He has gotten them to sound very good, but told me that the height had to be adjusted just right to find their sweet spot.

I was visiting Gary Brawer at Real Guitars last year when he got a call from Steve Blucher. Steve was a bit pissed at Kinman for "adapting his ideas" for silent single-coils. I'm sure the Kinmans cut into his V.V. sales. Ahh, free enterprise.;)

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Another fan here... Great range of products and superior customer service.

9. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Has anyone tried the Fred in the neck of a tele? There was a post on the TDPRI from a fella that was very impressed with how the Fred sounded as a tele neck pup.

Again, I assumed Fred was a high gain wheedler monster.

I found the PAF Classic I now use used. When it arrive, I installed it and while it sounded sweet, it was noisy. I pulled it out and discovered it had been wired wrong and only one coil was working. When using it with a virtual vintage pup, you have to change the wiring a bit also. So, rewird, the thing sounds very good. That singel coil tone has stayed with me though, so I'm going to wire it with an on-on-on mini switch to access singel coil and parallel tones in addition to humbucking. Again, anyone have it wired this way? If so, what do you think?

10. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Dimarzio have always been my favorites.

The PAF Pro is an excellent medium-output humbucker that covers most general uses. My tried and true combination is the PAF Pro in the neck and a Superdistortion in the bridge, but my next build project will probably have a PAF Pro in both positions.

11. unclej54

unclej54 Guest

i became a dimarzio dealer because of my high regard for them. i put them in nearly all of my customs and when asked for recommendations for replacements they usually get the nod.

their website is a little cumbersome but they provide a great deal of info about their pups and it's relativelyl easy to make an informed selection.

my latest custom has a paf, a paf fred and a hot single in the middle..all in a solid walnut body and it's a great sounding combo.

in other words, i like 'em.

on the other end of the spectrum one of the big sleepers, in my opinion, is mighty mite. when i do a bolt together that i can sell cheap and make just a few buck on i use them. pretty good range of applications at a very affordable price.

12. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey pickup aficiandos,

I've been using the Dimarzio PAF Pro guitar pickups for over 12 years. Nice medium output pickups that's good for bridge or neck positons. I have a '94 Hamer USA Diablo II with Dimarzio Norton Lite, HS-2 and a Tone Zone that I really like a lot lately. I installed a PAF Pro and an Air Zone on my '95 Studio. I love the sound of Dimarzio pickup. I've bonded with Dimarzios sound wise and musically. Some of the Seymour Duncan pickups I'm beginning to like, but I'll always be a Dimarzio aficiando.

Guitar George

13. mtm105

mtm105 Guest

The Virtual PAF was suggested to me by a dealer in Nashville.(Corner Music)

I already had DiMarzio PAF's in my 81 Hamer Special, but they didn't have enough punch.

The Virtual PAF takes off where the PAF left off. It clarifies the tone to perfection. More top end clarity.

Play those and your in Duane Allman, Jimmy Page heaven.

14. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

I just put an Air Norton in the neck of my ESP semi-hollow body guitar which is a really bright and twangy guitar. I've had WCr, GRS and SD's in the guitar, and so far the Air Norton is my favorite. It actually reminds me a lot of the WCR Crossroads but at half the price. It has great harmonics and clarity.
    Soon I will get the Air Zone in the bridge to fatten it up a bit and see that turns out.

15. Works well for me too.

16. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i have a virtual-vintage PAF and an air zone in my newly aquired baker jr. and so far i like em....the airzone in the bridge is nice and spanky....

17. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Supporting Member

Far from it, I actually think it reads around 10K. The unique thing about the Fred is it's funky midrange (lots of overtones and harmonics jump out) and the fact that it behaves more like a single coil under gain. Instead of hunkering down and getting fat like most humbuckers, it tightens up and really retains its character. Now, that does make it a good choice for the weedly-weedly stuff (or gobs of legato if you're Satriani) but that's not the only thing it's good for.

18. NoteBb

NoteBb Guest

how is the Dimarzio Air Cllasic? anyone tried those pick ups?

19. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

IMO the Virtual PAF rendered the Air Classics obsolete. Before the VPAFs were released, Gene Baker used the Classics as his stock humbucker, but he switched to the VPAFs as soon as they came out. My B1 from 2001 had shipped with Air Classics, but Gene told me he thought that in his short scale guitars the VPAFs added an extra 1-2% to nail the tone he was after. I did this swap at his suggestion and couldn't have been happier.

I'm also a big fan of the Air Zone, which I find to be a wonderful full-bodied bridge position humbucker that retains highs better than most high output units. I've had that p'up in three different guitars going back 10 years to when it was introduced, and between the VPAF and AZ I haven't been inclined to taste test others. I currently have a spare set waiting to replace the Burstbucker 2/3 combo in my '68 CA, and I'm very excited about making the swap.

Steve Blucher is a talented designer, and in the humbucker arena my ears and his seem to be on a similar wavelength. I think Dimarzio might get more respect if they doubled their prices. ;)

- DB

20. NoteBb

NoteBb Guest

i actually prefer more low range then high on the pu, but it's a problem here because there isn't a place where i can hear those pu
    so i havr to read about them and it's a bad way to choose a pu
    don't know what to do.

the thing is
    i started to make changes at my old guitar which is Ibanez RG
    it's a bad guitar but i enjoy the work
    anyway i'm looking for a dimarzio pu that would give me a "fat" fusion\jazz sound.