DiMArzio pots ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bruceman, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

I have a custom guitar given to me by a friend 25 years ago. A very well built arched top tele shape with these big ol Dimarzios p/u's I've never seen. Well, I never liked the sound of it so a cool new amp guy let me borrow a couple of Bill Lawrence's to try. Whilst taking it apart we found it had Dimarzio pots too.

Anyone know when these were made?

thanks.

2. dazco

dazco Member

Dimarzio still makes pots and have always had them custom made for them with a unique taper. I used to use them all the time because the taper just works right compared to other pots. I called them about this once and they explained to me how thier taper is different. I haven't bothered getting them since the store that carried them for years went out of business. I was going to order some recently but never got around to it. Anyways, i think they're great for those who really use thier volume pots a lot to vary tone and gain. In fact, thanks for reminding me....i'm gonna order some.

3. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Most of the pots LMI sells are Dimarzios. I just ordered three 250K pots and all were Dimarzios. If you specified them I'm sure they would comply.

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Dimarzio don't make pots they get CGE to make them.
    [​IMG]
    Gibson ,PRS,Parker, etc have all used them a some time.

5. John Catto

John Catto Member

I do know that the older DiMarzio pots (how much older I'm not sure) were Centralabs as used by Gibson in the 50s, I think they may have used the same taper as well.

6. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

7. dazco

dazco Member

For the record, i didn't say they make them, i said they have them custom made for them with a particular taper of thier own. At least thats what i was told. And i tended to believe them because i always seemed to have a better taper with them then any other pots i'd used. Maybe they have since changed, i don't know. But i talked to them not too long agao, probably a year. Anyways i'll know soon enough as i just ordered 2. By the way, theres a place that sells them for the same as MF, $6.50, but they ship free.... http://www.musicarts.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&src=dimarzio+pot&search_go.x=0&search_go.y=0

8. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

Mine say Dimarzio on them. Oh well. So much for trying to date when this guitar was built. I'll ge some pics of the p/u's so you guys can help me ID them. They're big ass plastic with a plastic back and the poles are allen screws.

9. John Catto

John Catto Member

You can tell who made the pots (and when) by the codes on them

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/pots.html

10. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

I didn't see a code on the 'marzios....?
    Did i miss it?

11. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

The Dimarzio pots that LMI carries are made by CTS, according to both LMI and Dimarzio. I find they work very well on HB equipped guitars, and are reasonably well made, though i've had the odd failure.

12. David Collins

David Collins Member

I'm curious to see if they continue selling the same pots in the future. Gibson switched from CTS to CGE years back, essentially using the same pots as Dimarzio was having made for their brand. In the last year however, Gibson switched back to CTS, and I had heard this was because the CGE factory in Mexico was ceasing production.

I have no idea if this is true, as Gibson may have certainly switched back to CTS for other reasons (quality would be one good one in my opinion - I'm not a big fan of CGE pots), and CGE may still be putting out the same products as before. If they did stop production however, I assume we would see a change in Dimarzio's line of pots in the near future, if not already. Hard to sort out rumors unless you're more directly in the loop, which I am not in terms of manufacture and supply of electronic components.

Edit - Guess I should have read 57special's post above mine. If Dimarzio's pots are now made by CTS, I guess that lends credence to the rumor of CGE production going under. I know Dimarzio pots going through my distributors a year ago were made by CGE, so it seems they must have made the change around the same time as Gibson.

13. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

John is right, the old ones were Centralab, they were great pots! Switched to CTS after Centralab. Then they switched to CGE, and those weren't very good IMO. I never liked CGE pots period.
    They are once again made by CTS. I like them a lot, decent taper, added a clip ring to the shaft, really not bad at all for $5 a pop.

14. RSRelic

RSRelic Member

Yep the pre-1988 Dimarzios were CentraLab before they stopped doing pots then they went to CTS till sometime in the early 90s when they went to CGE till they stopped making pots in 08. The last ones that were brought into my shop did not look like CTS but more like Japanese made Alpha pots, but they were not marked so I can't say for sure, but I will say they did not work as well as the old Centralab or CTS DiMarzios.

15. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

Might be trouble - Got to looking - two pots have a 1348516, two are 1348408 - but they're not being used in the same place. Would it be fair to assume that one # is for tone and one for volume? If so mine are wired incorrectly.

16. RSRelic

RSRelic Member

Those are good ones, but the codes mean nothing about their value or position. The first two codes means 134 (centralab) 85 (1985) and 16 (16th week of the year and the next two are also Centralab made in 1984 on the 8th week of the year.

17. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

A few months ago I bought four 500k Dimarzio pots after reading that they had a good taper. I recently figured out that they were the ones made by CGE. There is an article on another (Gibson-related) forum where a guy dissects a CTS pot next to a Gibson logo CGE pot, and shows that the CGE pot has vastly inferior construction (more plastic parts, smaller wiper, etc.). My own experience with the Gibson/CGE pots tells me they are crap (on the SG I have with those in it, two of the pots started having problems within months of occasional use, that's what I was going to replace). Now I don't know if I should even use those Dimarzios, is it possible that the CGE Dimarzios might be made with better components than the Gibson ones? Or should I just give up on the Dimarzios and get some good CTS pots (which I usually use)? Has anyone ever taken apart one of those CGE Dimarzios and looked at the construction? I don't want to be replacing them again within a year.

Al

18. redroos

redroos Member

Centralab pots, 134 manufacture code. Must be nice pots. I think the last four digits are date codes, so 1985 16th week, 1984 8th week. If so, then they could be the same value pot. Probably so. Measure them?

19. redroos

redroos Member

Since RS is here, I'm curious his take. The RS pot and the current Dimarzio pot are both made by CTS. To my ear and sonic testing the two pots behave the same. true, they are built differently, but I wonder how different the carbon traces are. Fender is also currently using a CTS pot with a good taper that behaves very similar.

What RS offers that the others do not is the long shafted versions for contemporary LP Standards and such. I own them and like them very much - but then I like all three brands of current CTS guitar pots - the RS, Fender, and Dimarzio.

Money-wise, if they are the same taper, and you can use the shorter shaft, I say buy the Dimarzio or Fender. I have not purchased the Fender aftermarket so I don't know how they are labeled or refered to. But the Dimarzio is refered to as the 'Custom Taper' pot, and MF has them for $6.50 I think.

20. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

Thank you for the info.