Dimarzio Pro Track...in parallel?

sedawkgrep

Gold Supporting Member
While there's a decent amount of info on this pickup (given what it is) there is virtually none talking about how it sounds wired parallel.

Anyone have experience with it? I'm thinking of using two of them in parallel in an HSS guitar. I happen to have the pickups already; just curious how these might sound in that config.

I'm just lazy enough to post asking vs. wiring and seeing for myself. ;-)

I tried calling Dimarzio but missed the tech twice today. Argh.

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
I have has series-single-parallel switches on all my Duncan JB/Jazz and JB/59 equipped guitars, and I love how they sound parallel, so I would not expect different for DiMarzio pickups. Parallel is great for clean tones - treble response is not as good as for a single coil, but you get the benefit of noise cancellation.

jlcogar

Silver Supporting Member
Never tried it with the protrac, but have with the fast tracks. Didn’t make near as much difference as i had seen with full size hb’s. Slghtly more single coil like

jlcogar

Silver Supporting Member
Oh wait, looks like your talking about putting 2 of them parallel in 1 humbucker slot ? Have seen fenders with 2 lace sensors like that. Not sure if they’re wired series or parallel but sound beefy

sedawkgrep

Gold Supporting Member
Oh wait, looks like your talking about putting 2 of them parallel in 1 humbucker slot ? Have seen fenders with 2 lace sensors like that. Not sure if they’re wired series or parallel but sound beefy
No. I want them as neck and middle pickups but each in parallel vs. series so they are lower output.

jblake

Gold Supporting Member
@sedawkgrep Did you ever try this out? On a whim I threw a Dimarzio BC-2 (a tweaked Fast Track) in the bridge position of one of my Strats.

While it sounds great on its own, there is just too much of a jump in output and loss of high end for it to blend well with the 57/62s in the middle and neck.

I’m considering rewiring it in parallel, but as you mentioned, there isn’t a whole lot of info from users who have tried it in parallel.

sedawkgrep

Gold Supporting Member
@sedawkgrep Did you ever try this out? On a whim I threw a Dimarzio BC-2 (a tweaked Fast Track) in the bridge position of one of my Strats.

While it sounds great on its own, there is just too much of a jump in output and loss of high end for it to blend well with the 57/62s in the middle and neck.

I’m considering rewiring it in parallel, but as you mentioned, there isn’t a whole lot of info from users who have tried it in parallel.
I haven’t. If / when I do I’ll post though. Good luck if you try it.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Pro Track in the bridge of a "strat" with a series/parallel switch. Parallel lowers the output quite a bit, gives a cleaner sound and is still very hum free. It is a very slightly "tele-ish" sound in the bridge. It is OK but not real exciting, kind of a bland tone. Pro Track in series in the bridge is great!
Rather than 2 Pro Tracks in parallel I would do 2 Cruisers, which is a much more interesting, full but clear sound, with a lot more character than the Pro Track in parallel.

stonem

Silver Supporting Member
I use the corgan set of dimarzios. I have the neck wired paralell and it improved the cleans a great deal fwiw, they are similar PUs.

sedawkgrep

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Pro Track in the bridge of a "strat" with a series/parallel switch. Parallel lowers the output quite a bit, gives a cleaner sound and is still very hum free. It is a very slightly "tele-ish" sound in the bridge. It is OK but not real exciting, kind of a bland tone. Pro Track in series in the bridge is great!
Rather than 2 Pro Tracks in parallel I would do 2 Cruisers, which is a much more interesting, full but clear sound, with a lot more character than the Pro Track in parallel.
I love the PT in the bridge as well. Works awesomely.

I was specifically curious about parallel for the neck / middle combined with a hot(ish) bridge humbucker.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I love the PT in the bridge as well. Works awesomely.

I was specifically curious about parallel for the neck / middle combined with a hot(ish) bridge humbucker.
My experience with the Pro Track in parallel (bridge) is that it is OK but kind of dull & uninteresting. Since you already have the pickups, try it in N & M & see what you think.

Trending Topics