DiMarzio Rails Experience So Far (DM Cruiser, Chopper, Fast Track)

bjornkom

Silver Supporting Member
Anybody tried our various DiMarzio rails combinations?

I started out with an Andy Timmons inspired configuration, using the Cruiser Bridge pickup (DP187) in neck and middle positions, along with a CHOPPER (DP184) in the bridge. That worked OK, but I found the bridge position CHOPPER to be a little too punchy/boomy in the middle and neck positions, lacking some of that sparkly strat sound we all like. If I had Andy Timmons' rig, I'm sure it'd all come together - but I don't. So, I replaced the two DP187s by two DP186s, which are the Cruiser Neck pickups, actually designed for those two positions. Though one might claim the difference is not enormous, it was just what I hoped - a tad more clarity, a little closer to Leo Fender. So those stay put!

Now I'm wondering about the Chopper in the bridge. It's sounds good with gain, but maybe a little harsh clean, unless I roll back volume. I don't need high gain capability. Combined with the middle pup, it has a bit of a nasal quality. So, I'm wondering about maybe throwing back in the Cruiser Bridge (DP187), but now in its designated position... Or maybe a Fast Track 1 (DP-181)? Looking for a slightly hotter strat bridge tone, yet sweet and stratty, not heavy metal lead guitar.

Thoughts anybody?

Photo: Warmoth Alder Strat in natural Truoil, USACG PauFerro on maple neck, DM DP186 + DP186 + DP184, Gotoh 510 tremolo.

Last edited:

therhodeo

I believe that most people split the cruiser bridges when they go to the in between positions.

This is a Fast Track 1 in the bridge.

musicman1

I had a set of dimarzio fast tracks in my strat for years. Ft1 neck and middle ft2 in the bridge. I also had a neck tone control and mid/ bridge on the other tone control. I also had a push pulls on both tones to split the three pickups. The pickups were generally noiseless unless split. Too much volume loss with the splits. Positions 5 4 3 and 1 were fine. Mid/bridge together were too muddy/dull. Ft 2 is about a 16 ohm output so its pretty hot. i should have tried a ft1 in the bridge but wanted a strong lead tone. Larry D gave me those pickups. I still have them but had them pulled out of my strat last fall. I used them for probably close to 30 years. They could be chimey w the right amp like a roland jc or twin.

Last edited:

sedawkgrep

Gold Supporting Member
I did the ProTrack / Cruiser / Cruiser (both bridges) for awhile. Thought they made a GREAT combination...but the ProTrack is by no means stratty so it was more of a fat-strat thing.

bjornkom

Silver Supporting Member
I believe that most people split the cruiser bridges when they go to the in between positions.

This is a Fast Track 1 in the bridge.
Sounds plenty punchy! THX! Could you elaborayte on splitting "the cruiser bridges when they go to the in between positions"? Cruiser Bridge(s) used where in combination with what? My two Cruiser Necks in neck and middle positions sounds marvelously warm but stratty in the in between position. I would not mess with that!

bjornkom

Silver Supporting Member
I had a set of dimarzio fast tracks in my strat for years. Ft1 neck and middle ft2 in the bridge. I also had a neck tone control and mid/ bridge on the other tone control. I also had a push pulls on both tones to split the three pickups. The pickups were generally noiseless unless split. Too much volume loss with the splits. Positions 5 4 3 and 1 were fine. Mid/bridge together were too muddy/dull. Ft 2 is about a 16 ohm output so its pretty hot. i should have tried a ft1 in the bridge but wanted a strong lead tone. Larry D gave me those pickups. I still have them but had them pulled out of my strat last fall. I used them for probably close to 30 years. They could be chimey w the right amp like a roland jc or twin.
Yeah, I think I need to stay away from FT2. Too much for me. But thanks for info!

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
I got an Air Norton S for the neck position of a strat recently, really happy with it. Bet it would sound great in bridge too.

bjornkom

Silver Supporting Member
I got an Air Norton S for the neck position of a strat recently, really happy with it. Bet it would sound great in bridge too.

Thanks, that sounds awesome, great choice for your particular music style! Mine is more low gain, more edge of break up, thus the desire for lower output.

Brettski

I have a guitar with FT1 / FT2 / Chopper (bridge to neck). I love it. It sounds like a Strat but with power and low end. My fuzzes don't like em as much as single coils but overall, they rip.

JohnSykes

Had the Fast Track 2 in the bridge of a Strat... WAY too powerful for the Andy Timmons thing IMO. Also tried the Fast Track 1 and it was better, but still im pretty sure there are better alternatives out there.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Had the Fast Track 2 in the bridge of a Strat... WAY too powerful for the Andy Timmons thing IMO.
You mean neck? The FT2 has the same output as the AT-1 Andy use in bridge position.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I have the new Sugar Chankra pickup going in the bridge of my CS strat and a chopper going in the neck. Have to install and solder these in tomorrow.

OotMagroot

I really liked the Fast Track II, the Chopper, and the Pro Track. I have a Cruiser in one of my Strats now.

Next, I want to try a Tone Zone S, Cruiser, Air Norton S combo.

bjornkom

Silver Supporting Member
I have a guitar with FT1 / FT2 / Chopper (bridge to neck). I love it. It sounds like a Strat but with power and low end. My fuzzes don't like em as much as single coils but overall, they rip.
Wait, FT1 / FT2 / Chopper => bridge to neck OR neck to bridge?

Freedom

along with a Cruiser (DP184) in the bridge.
I am pretty sure that the DP184 is the Chopper, so you had it installed in the bridge position, right?

Never owned one but I am pretty sure that that one is the most high output of the bunch that has some of the single coil sound/voicing.

I don't know what wiring your guitar has but if it has a tone, roll this back a bit to tame the Chopper on cleans instead of the volume (which if it has a treble bleed won't do much either) and see how it goes.

Now, a few random thoughts...

If you are looking for low/mid output strat sounds, out of all those rails the Cruisers and the Fast Track 1's have the right voicing, with the Fast Track 1's being hotter/fatter. Still, both are very clean pups (on a clean and semi-clean amps/presets).

Personally, for clean/semi-clean strat sounds in the neck position, I would never go with anything hotter than the Fast Track 1 as it would be too muffled and boomy (tried an Air Norton S once, put it back in the bridge a few minutes later).

Anybody tried our various DiMarzio rails combinations?
I have a personal experience with these:

Cruiser Neck (neck position, 250K)
Cruiser Bridge (middle position, 250K)
Fast Track 1 (neck and middle positions, 250K)
Pro Track (bridge position, 500K)
Air Norton S (bridge position/500K and neck position/250K)
Tone Zone S (bridge position with and without tone pot, 250K and 500K)
Fast Track 2 (bridge position, 250K without tone pot and 500K)

My current setups (on two strats) are:

Bridge: Pro Track
Middle : Cruiser Bridge
Neck: Cruiser Neck

and

Bridge: Air Norton S
Middle : Fast Track 1
Neck: Fast Track 1

Both these setups have Obsisiawire harnesses installed (bridge sees 500K, middle and neck 250K, treble bleed, one tone for the bridge and another common tone for both the middle and neck etc.)

Last edited:

CapnRex

I would like to try a cruiser with alnico instead of ceramic. Why are rails all ceramic?

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I went through a bunch of them. It is nice to have so many flavors of hum free single size pickups. I could really tailor to my particular needs that way.
Currently I have Cruiser bridge in the neck, Fast Track 1 in the middle and Pro Track bridge with a series/parallel mini switch. The bridge/middle sounds very good with the Pro Track in parallel. I play a lot of slide and the Fast Track 1 in the middle is great for that.
I'm not a hard rock metal guy so this setup suits me. If I wanted harder, those options are there with with the DM rails too. Great line of pickups!

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
I have experience with the FTI and II in the bridge position on Strats, and the Chopper T in the bridge of Teles. I LOVE all three of them in the bridge. For my tatstes, the FTII is too hot for me now a days. The FTI is my favorite humbucker for the bridge position on a Strat. I also really dig the Chopper T.

bjornkom

Silver Supporting Member
Corrected original post! Should indeed be "along with CHOPPER in bridge." Stupid fricken typo...! Ahhh....!

I have a Fast Track 1 (DP181) lined up to try as bridge pup, and could also try a Cruiser bridge (DP187.) The Chopper (DP184) that's currently installed just sorta sounds, to me, like not the greatest match with the two Neck Cruisers.

How did you like DP186 vs. DP 187 if you tried either in neck and middle positions? (Maybe you didn't?) I really feel like the two Neck Cruisers brought me closer to a real strat sound than the two Bridge Cruisers, in neck and middle positions. Though I never compared them side by side, only "consecutively."

I am pretty sure that the DP184 is the Chopper, so you had it installed in the bridge position, right?

Never owned one but I am pretty sure that that one is the most high output of the bunch that has some of the single coil sound/voicing.

I don't know what wiring your guitar has but if it has a tone, roll this back a bit to tame the Chopper on cleans instead of the volume (which if it has a treble bleed won't do much either) and see how it goes.

Now, a few random thoughts...

If you are looking for low/mid output strat sounds, out of all those rails the Cruisers and the Fast Track 1's have the right voicing, with the Fast Track 1's being hotter/fatter. Still, both are very clean pups (on a clean and semi-clean amps/presets).

Personally, for clean/semi-clean strat sounds in the neck position, I would never go with anything hotter than the Fast Track 1 as it would be too muffled and boomy (tried an Air Norton S once, put it back in the bridge a few minutes later).

I have a personal experience with these:

Cruiser Neck (neck position, 250K)
Cruiser Bridge (middle position, 250K)
Fast Track 1 (neck and middle positions, 250K)
Pro Track (bridge position, 500K)
Air Norton S (bridge position/500K and neck position/250K)
Tone Zone S (bridge position, 250K and 500K)
Fast Track 2 (bridge position, 250K and 500K)

My current setups (on two strats) are:

Bridge: Pro Track
Middle : Cruiser Bridge
Neck: Cruiser Neck

and

Bridge: Air Norton S
Middle : Fast Track 1
Neck: Fast Track 1

Both these setups have Obsisiawire harnesses installed (bridge sees 500K, middle and neck 250K, treble bleed, one tone for the bridge and another common tone for both the middle and neck etc.)

Trending Topics