1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Dimarzio SC Pickups for Higher Gain tones

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Redhouse-Blues, May 23, 2011.

1. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I'm looking for some single coils that love med to higher gain tones, that clean up well. I have Fender 57/62 pickups in my American Vintage Strat. I want a more modern Rock sound, warm and smooth. Would the Area 58, 61 and 67, be a good choice? Or something else? The 57/62's are great for a vintage tone and Blues.

I'm kinda going for Lincoln Brewster and Andy Timmons kinda tones. I have the amp's and effects and working on the chops.

2. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Those tones can be delivered with a cruiser (bridge) x2 and a protrack for the bridge.

3. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I actually like the Pro Tracks in the neck, but you might need some EQ as it's fairly dark. I used to use a Leslie sim with it, focussed the tone and was a really cool effect ... kind of dumble sounding in it's thickness.

4. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

5. jaycee

jaycee Member

I have a Fast Track 2 which is like the super distortion of the sc pickups. It's not bad. might swap it out for something with a little more.....character. Maybe try a Chopper.

6. zul

zul Supporting Member

Medium output. DMZ '54 pro neck, Kinman AVn 62 middle, DMZ Norton.
    Good equlibrium. Clean and Dirty. Will growl...and bite.

7. joeburke

joeburke Member

How about the new Injector pickups? Paul Gilberts uses Injector/area '67/Injector in his fireman guitars.

8. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

that's a great choice right there -- the virtual solo almost sounds like a fat P-90 in bridge!

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

If you like true single-coil tone, dual-rail pickups just won't get you there.

Dimarzio's virtual vintage and area series pickups are the ticket for the "real" sound without the noise.

Their heavy blues II is a ballsy neck pickup for trower/blackmore "heavy strat" tones, and is a perfect balance with their p-90-ish virtual solo in the bridge.

Put something clear and sparkly in the middle like an area 58, 61, or even an actual single coil, and you're in business with your "hard rock strat".

10. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

Lincoln Brewster uses Area pickups in his Strats, but he rolls the tone control back to 5 or 6 to take some of the harsh high end off. You might want something a little hotter in the bridge like the Virtual Solo though (as suggested by others above). I play in church too and love the sound of the Kinman Woodstocks. If you want to hear them shoot me a PM and I can give you a YouTube link.

11. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I played a cool Strat today, Fender's Vintage Modified 57. It had 3 single coils, the neck and middle were some kind of noiseless pickup and in the bridge was a Dimarzio The Tone Zone pickup. This combo had some really great Rock tones, just what I'm looking for. The Tone Zone sounded great with high gain settings from an OCD.

If I do a Tone Zone in the Bridge, what two pickup's for Neck and Middle? I'm going for really great modern Rock tones. I don't really want a vintage tone, something really smooth and tight, not to bright.

12. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Mangy-interesting about the tone roll off Brewster uses with Areas - they sound a little bright to me also.

Are the Woodstocks warmer/fatter than Dimarzio Area 61s AND do they get WARMER when further from strings OR would you just recommend the Kinman Blues for warmer, thicker ( Gilmour/EJ/Timmons/Gales )tones with maybe a phase switch for the occasional real thin rhythm stuff ( like EJ arpeggios which are super transparent).

Can the Kinman's middle PU be wired to a phase switch for those times when Parallel isn't thin enough ?

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That's what I didn't like about Areas, that top end is so zingy. They are not as warm and toney as real singles. I can see rolling off tone controls for them.

The virtual solo I had was real smooth and warm. I hated it, it was too much and didn't want to crunch unless I really cranked trebles up, and then my other pickups didn't sound good. But if you have other pickups that match that, and then eq your amp for that, it works.

I still like regular singles. I love Timmons playing, his tone is a little fuzzy to me, and sometimes I wish it'd be more stratty on some stuff, like Electric Gypsy. For awhile, before Ibanez reissued his guitar, he went to playing vintage strats and said how he loved them and their sounds. I'd love to hear him playing one of those. Thomas Blug is one of my favorites. Check him out, if anyone digs Timmons.

14. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

or another variation, the 58/61/Virtual Solo.

15. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

I think the Woodstocks are definitely fatter/warmer than the Area pickups. I have never tried the Kinman Blues pickups, so I can't comment on those. My Kinmans have the K9 wiring, which gives you 9 different sounds including parellel/series options as well as bridge/neck together, or all 3 pickups at once.

16. shg

shg Senior Member

Paul Gilbert gets a great highgain single sound out of the Injectors.

17. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Thanks very much for the info- would you guess that two Woodstocks would work well in a H-S-S setup /

I do not expect the singles to "balance " with the Humbucker in this type of setup in output or fatness , just that maybe they would with a medium output humbucker when in Split mode.

Also for the occasional real thin tones , can the Woodstock Middle be used with a phase switch , when Parallel is not thin enough ?

18. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Member

My "Strat" has 3 Tone Zone S pickups that I can split all at the same time for single coil sounds.Just use one side of the 5 way switch for the series link and use the other for the full HB mode.Use a pot to roll down full HB side and you spit all 3 pickup at once.If you need only 1 tone control this is a good setup.Also use a treble bleed on the vol pot so you can get fat or single coil tone at any level.
    It worked for me.

19. Noone You KNow

Noone You KNow Member

Dude, I would sell my left nut for that guy's tone. Not to mention the uber tasteful Satch/Gilmour/Malmsteen type feel to his style (he could do without the yodeling guy, though). One of my favorites as well, and seriously under exposed.

Back on topic, I find my 58/HS-3/V-Solo combo does whatever I ask of it.

20. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

What about a HSS setup to replace Fenders N3 HSS pickups in the new American Deluxes? I love the guitar, but the pickups are lacking. What's a good mix of noiseless, while still sounding vintage?